Website doesn't show 3-person rooms for 2-person booking

bigAWL

Why is it, if I tell the website I'm booking for 2 people, it won't offer me any rooms that can accommodate 3-4 people?  Even though those rooms show as available if I book for 3.  I can't imagine every one of those rooms is reserved for parties of 3 or more.

3 minutes ago, bigAWL said:

Why is it, if I tell the website I'm booking for 2 people, it won't offer me any rooms that can accommodate 3-4 people?  Even though those rooms show as available if I book for 3.  I can't imagine every one of those rooms is reserved for parties of 3 or more.

Think about it. They get more revenue from 3 or 4 people in a stateroom. Why would they book a 3 or 4  person room to 2 people? That would be ensuring an automatic loss of revenue. They're a for-profit  business...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@bigAWL

For some sailings and categories they don't show those 3/4 occupancy rooms as bookable for 2 people to prevent these rooms from being booked up. What you can try is using the "LOOKUP STATEROOM" link in the top right of the category selection page and enter a stateroom number that you're looking to book and know is available. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. It's sailing dependent.

Edited by NorthStarStateCruiser
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

@bigAWL

For some sailings and categories they don't show those 3/4 occupancy rooms as bookable for 2 people to prevent these rooms from being booked up. What you can try is using the "LOOKUP STATEROOM" link in the top right of the category selection page and enter a stateroom number that you're looking to book and know is available. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. It's sailing dependent.

Thanks for the info...I've not tried that. I'll add it to my list of tips  😀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Think about it. They get more revenue from 3 or 4 people in a stateroom. Why would they book a 3 or 4  person room to 2 people? That would be ensuring an automatic loss of revenue. They're a for-profit  business...

I understand that.  But it was frustrating when I originally booked and couldn't find connecting SV cabins for 2 parties of 2.  I booked the cabins apart and only later discovered the issue when everything else had booked up.  

21 minutes ago, bigAWL said:

I understand that.  But it was frustrating when I originally booked and couldn't find connecting SV cabins for 2 parties of 2.  I booked the cabins apart and only later discovered the issue when everything else had booked up.  

Did you try the LOOKUP STATEROOM option I mentioned? Or is this just expressing your dislike that they don't show all available cabins when booking 2 people in a room?

7 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

... your dislike that they don't show all available cabins...

I have not liked looking for a room since they went to this search a few years ago. I liked it when they showed all available staterooms on the deck plan and you chose your specific one, no matter the category.

1 hour ago, RTShaker said:

I have not liked looking for a room since they went to this search a few years ago. I liked it when they showed all available staterooms on the deck plan and you chose your specific one, no matter the category.

If it was your business and less than 1/2 your rooms held 3 or 4 paying passenger would you encourage parties of 2 to book room for 3 or 4?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Would not indicating that one wanted to book two (2) cabins on the website bring up any available cabins which are connected, if any were available???

Just a thought, it is quite possible that this was done already...

bon voyage

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

If it was your business and less than 1/2 your rooms held 3 or 4 paying passenger would you encourage parties of 2 to book room for 3 or 4?

I understand, but it irks me that on the S class I can't get a bed by bath cabin. Realistically how many of those cabins are actually occupied by more than two?

Edited by RTShaker

Just so everyone knows, Travel agents are not restricted to book a 3/4 berth room for double occupancy. It is just a restriction that Celebrity placed on their website for passengers that book directly. Yet another reason to book with a good TA.

1 hour ago, RTShaker said:

I understand, but it irks me that on the S class I can't get a bed by bath cabin. Realistically how many of those cabins are actually occupied by more than two?

I have been able to book bed by bath by using the room search feature, also there are normally some of the bed by bath cabins available for booking just not all of them and the TA we use have been able to book them.

If you call X to book your cabin you won’t have this issue. They will check  all cabins regardless if it is a cabin for 2 or 3 or 4. I’m not sure how it works with a TA but most likely they can get a cabin that handles 3 or 4 for 2 guests. It’s not your responsibility to maximize Celebrity’s profit margin. 

Edited by RICCruisers
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Did you try the LOOKUP STATEROOM option I mentioned? Or is this just expressing your dislike that they don't show all available cabins when booking 2 people in a room?

I didn't know about that feature until you posted it here.  But I just looked at a cruise for next year and when booking for 2, not even the lookup will show me rooms that are available for 3.

image.png.28b3ab4d9d6507d9ba0a6dd05ff2e031.png

image.png.a26850d8e86ffffbf3ccdc0297ef2535.png

It is frustrating to have cabins that hold more than 2 pax show as unavailable. 

Luckily, there are websites for booking cruises other than Celebrity's that do show all open cabins regardless of occupancy. If you see the cabin you're eyeing as available, then call Celebrity to book it. That process has always worked for me since Bed by Bath cabins mostly have room for more than two.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigAWL said:

I didn't know about that feature until you posted it here.  But I just looked at a cruise for next year and when booking for 2, not even the lookup will show me rooms that are available for 3.

image.png.28b3ab4d9d6507d9ba0a6dd05ff2e031.png

image.png.a26850d8e86ffffbf3ccdc0297ef2535.png

Understood. Like I said in my previous post, sometimes the lookup stateroom tool works and other times it doesn't. It's sailing and category dependent. At least now you know to at least try it for future use.

As others have said, TAs have access to all rooms and calling Celebrity should allow you to book those open 3/4 occupancy rooms for 2 people.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

If you call X to book your cabin you won’t have this issue. They will check  all cabins regardless if it is a cabin for 2 or 3 or 4. I’m not sure how it works with a TA but most likely they can get a cabin that handles 3 or 4 for 2 guests. It’s not your responsibility to maximize Celebrity’s profit margin. 

Sometimes a simple phone call (to Celebrity or a TA) is the last booking option but the best one as well.

The few times I have run into this problem, it has been with Solstice class ships (regular veranda cabins).  I have not had this problem with Millennium class--perhaps because there are so many cabins that are furnished to sleep 3 or more.

Makes perfect sense to me. When I’m booking a cabin for my 2x parents I choose two people and two-person cabins come up. When I’m booking a cabin for my 3x family I choose three people and it shows three-person cabins. 
Why would it be any other way? Just do two different searches if you want to see other cabins.