Seattle Pier 91 + Discovery Princess = Mess

I was on the recent Discovery Princess cruise that ended May-21 and had a great time.  But the process at the pier before and after – what a mess!

At embarkation, the line to drop off luggage extended way outside.  While it was slowly moving, still spent 30-ish minutes waiting.  At the beginning of the line, where we finally dropped off luggage, they had just one x-ray machine.  That was the bottleneck.  HAL no line and I fully understand it’s a smaller ship and less people.  OK, sure I got there at 11:30 and that is prime time.  I knew it was going to be busy but oh my…Princess needs to get luggage process drop-off better.

Disembarkation was a bigger mess outside the building.  I had purchased the Princess transfer to airport.  My time to leave was 9:10 and was thru customs by 9:25, so all good there.  But then outside, in the same spot where I stood in line to drop-off luggage I joined the line going in the opposite direction for the bus.  The line barely moved and when it did move it was mostly due to people jumping out for taxis.  At 10:45 I was one of jumpers as I had a 1:00 flight and was getting nervous (and cold).  Seems Princess and HAL need more buses and/or stagger them better.

Rant over.  I don’t recall these types of problems in previous years.  I wonder if there is a new transportation contractor running things?

My recommendation:  arrive early afternoon and use the taxi line for transportation to the airport ($60 flat rate). 

Cruise was awesome by the way and I recommend everyone should go see Alaska if they have the means.

52 minutes ago, ilovegreenpeeps said:

At embarkation, the line to drop off luggage extended way outside. 

Did you have the option to drop / hand your luggage to the porters with the rolling carts?

Did you opt to carry in your luggage, rather that using the porters?

10 hours ago, ilovegreenpeeps said:

I was on the recent Discovery Princess cruise that ended May-21 and had a great time.  But the process at the pier before and after – what a mess!

At embarkation, the line to drop off luggage extended way outside.  While it was slowly moving, still spent 30-ish minutes waiting.  At the beginning of the line, where we finally dropped off luggage, they had just one x-ray machine.  That was the bottleneck.  HAL no line and I fully understand it’s a smaller ship and less people.  OK, sure I got there at 11:30 and that is prime time.  I knew it was going to be busy but oh my…Princess needs to get luggage process drop-off better.

Disembarkation was a bigger mess outside the building.  I had purchased the Princess transfer to airport.  My time to leave was 9:10 and was thru customs by 9:25, so all good there.  But then outside, in the same spot where I stood in line to drop-off luggage I joined the line going in the opposite direction for the bus.  The line barely moved and when it did move it was mostly due to people jumping out for taxis.  At 10:45 I was one of jumpers as I had a 1:00 flight and was getting nervous (and cold).  Seems Princess and HAL need more buses and/or stagger them better.

Rant over.  I don’t recall these types of problems in previous years.  I wonder if there is a new transportation contractor running things?

My recommendation:  arrive early afternoon and use the taxi line for transportation to the airport ($60 flat rate). 

Cruise was awesome by the way and I recommend everyone should go see Alaska if they have the means.

So does it say flat fee of 60.00 and did you have to share a cab?

3 hours ago, coops said:

So does it say flat fee of 60.00 and did you have to share a cab?

There has been a flat fee for many years now, and no, you don't have to share. Most of their cabs are Toyota Prius (which have amazingly large trunks), which 4 people would be pretty crowded.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 7:25 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Did you have the option to drop / hand your luggage to the porters with the rolling carts?

Did you opt to carry in your luggage, rather that using the porters?

Yes, porters were available.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by carry in my luggage.  I carried it thru the line and did the normal luggage drop.  I did not carry on my luggage and not sure if that was allowed.  I don't recall seeing anyone in the terminal during check-in with their big luggage bags.

Seattle has an 'official' flat rate only from downtown hotel zone and pier 66 of $40.  Many cabs have gone with the $60 flat rate from Pier 91.  At seatac airport you can request either a metered or flat rate cab.  Ask the taxi dispatcher what the rate is before getting in.

2 hours ago, ilovegreenpeeps said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by carry in my luggage.  I carried it thru the line and did the normal luggage drop.

Since you were saying that the embark and debark at Pier 91 was not perfect for you, if you had given your bags to a porter along the drive upon arriving you would saved some time by not carrying your bags into the luggage hall (I think you even mentioned seeing the luggage x-ray scanner which is deep inside the luggage hall). 

If you had entered the building having already dropped of your luggage with the porters outside, you would have skipped that line and instead begin the next step of the embark process.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 5:27 AM, ilovegreenpeeps said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by carry in my luggage.  I carried it thru the line and did the normal luggage drop.  I did not carry on my luggage and not sure if that was allowed.  I don't recall seeing anyone in the terminal during check-in with their big luggage bags.

If porters were available why didn’t you drop bags with them give a tip and proceed to check in ?

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 8:31 PM, ilovegreenpeeps said:

I was on the Carnival Splendor last year in May, about this time actually, and yep it was a mess too.  Well the embarkation was, I don't remember the disembarkation being that bad other than having to carry my bags all the way out to the Seattle Express transfer bus.  

NEVER AGAIN!!!! Last year we took the Princess/Holland America shuttle from Sea-Tac airport to Pier 91. We got in line to drop off our bags at 9:15 at Sea-Tac airport. After we dropped off our bags we got a ticket and directions to the lower level parking garage where we would catch the shuttle to Pier 91. When we got down the lower level of the parking garage we got another colored ticket with a number on it. It was a very hot morning, nowhere to sit, no water, no bathrooms and very crowded. Every once and awhile a bus would come drop off their passengers and leave, I found it rather odd that they weren’t taking any one to Pier 91. After standing around for hour’s people were going around the barrier and urinating in the parking garage. At around 12:30 we got on the bus to Pier 91.  When we got to Pier 91 it was a total mess, more like out of control. The line of people stretched down one side of the covered walk way and halfway down the other side. We got on the ship at about 2pm. Upon disembarkation it wasn’t as bad but it wasn’t the best. You think it was the first time a cruise ship had ever left from Pier 91. So for those of you who a taking the Princess/Holland America shuttle I wish you the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Using Seattle Express is the best way to get there.  Once you get off the bus/van there are porters waiting.  You drop your luggage and go inside through security.  Then to waiting room.  We hadn’t even finished our juice when they called for boarding.

On our return there were lots of people in a line waiting to be told where to go.  We bypassed that line, like our shuttle driver told us to do when he dropped us off, and went straight to the Seattle Express area.  We might have waited 15-20 minutes for our ride. 

I never saw a parking garage or a ticket.

I just dropped off my brother and SIL at Pier 91 for Celebrity Solstice, they had a 2 PM boarding time, but I dropped them off at about 12:30, they were in their room shortly afterv 1 PM, I was able to drive to the pier, drop them off and left the pier about 3-4 minutes later.  YMMV, but it was a very smooth operation today, and Ovation of the Seas was there as well, an even larger ship.  

• Like 1

I am disgusted with  Seattle Express, whether they would get me there or not. I use a mobility scooter and they want to charge a 'handicap tax' of $25 extra to take it!

They claim it's legal to charge double for a scooter user, but I think it's diabolical that they are profiteering at the expense of a disabled person.

15 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

I just dropped off my brother and SIL at Pier 91 for Celebrity Solstice,

15 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

it was a very smooth operation today,

Celebrity sailing days (and even Royal sailings) almost always go perfectly.

Check-in systems are a dream to work with, and there is lots of support from the ship's IT staff.  Passengers arrived prepared with the needed travel documents and at least 95%, or higher have done their online check-in. @Prost Seattle, I appreciate hearing about your, and your sibling's experience.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 10:26 AM, Guindalf said:

I am disgusted with  Seattle Express, whether they would get me there or not. I use a mobility scooter and they want to charge a 'handicap tax' of $25 extra to take it!

They claim it's legal to charge double for a scooter user, but I think it's diabolical that they are profiteering at the expense of a disabled person.

They charged me $3 extra for my ride coming up on July 14. Mine weighs less than 50lbs.