Butcher’s Cut? Yacht club restaurant?

I don’t recall if you said you did the MSC loyalty status match. If you did and matched to MSC Voyager Club Diamond you will get a complimentary dinner at Butcher’s Cut, or other specialty restaurant. My personal opinion, take the complimentary specialty restaurant dinner and spend the rest of you evenings in the Yacht Club Restaurant. The menu changes every evening. You can order whatever you want. If ordered at least a day in advance you can often special order. The wine selection is more extensive. The view is better.  but I won’t belabor the point.  😀.  The kitchen is not the same. YC Restaurant has a separate chef. I even think the beef preparation in superior in the YC Restaurant on the 5 MSC ships I’ve sailed with YC and Burcher’s Cut.  

As I said, my personal opinion.    

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

I don’t recall if you said you did the MSC loyalty status match. If you did and matched to MSC Voyager Club Diamond you will get a complimentary dinner at Butcher’s Cut, or other specialty restaurant. My personal opinion, take the complimentary specialty restaurant dinner and spend the rest of you evenings in the Yacht Club Restaurant. The menu changes every evening. You can order whatever you want. If ordered at least a day in advance you can often special order. The wine selection is more extensive. The view is better.  but I won’t belabor the point.  😀.  The kitchen is not the same. YC Restaurant has a separate chef. I even think the beef preparation in superior in the YC Restaurant on the 5 MSC ships I’ve sailed with YC and Burcher’s Cut.  

As I said, my personal opinion.    

We did the status match but we aren’t diamond. Guess we won’t bother booking a specialty restaurant then. I have other good options for our OBC. 

We used OBC to dine in Butcher's Cut and enjoyed it very much.  We ordered a la carte but you can also pay for the fixed menu which includes a starter, main and dessert.  We didn't want to be limited to the fixed menu so went the other route.  We ordered the seafood tower but asked them to do it for one instead of two and they halved the price.  Plenty of food for an app.  We also had salad, mains, sides, and dessert...oh, and a bottle of wine.  Bill was well over $200 bucks but we had OBC to burn.  Would I do it again??  One and done was good enough for us...the YC food was really that good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I ate at Butcher’s Cut tonight on Seascape (night 3 of 7) and is the best meal yet. Are in MDR nights 1 and 2 (gala night) and night 1 was edible, gala night was pretty good, but Butcher’s Cut was fantastic! My friend and I elected not to purchase a Specialty Dining package and instead chose the Prix Fixe menus for $59. You can also substitute something from the a la carte menu for 50% off the menu price. The lamb chops were cooked perfectly as was the filet. Plan to return on Thursday!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 11:52 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

How is Butcher’s Cut?  I love a good steak!  It looks like it’s a la carte. Is it worth paying for?  Is the food in the yacht club better than the MDR?  I thought I read somewhere that it was made in the same kitchen, unlike Celebrity. 

No, there is an extra kitchen for the YC Restaurant in all Ships with YC from MSC. The Menu are not the same as in the MDR.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I'm not very adventurous with food either.

She would try a few things but she mostly went with the Filet.  She loved it.  We did eat ate Butchers Cut and we all got the Rib eye and it was very good

We've booked a 2 night dining package, and might well try Hola and Sushi places too on our forthcoming Virtuosa cruise, just as a break so that we're not in the same restaurant 3 meals a day for 2 weeks.

I have a Butcher's Cut question. Husband and I will be sailing on Seascape. This will be our third MSC cruise and we've never used the Diamond benefit at Butcher's Cut or any other specialty restaurant. I think we're going to give it a try next cruise. I understand it's a special pre fix menu for the Diamond benefit meal. Are you able to order an extra side or whatever and just pay for it?

On 5/23/2023 at 4:52 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

"I love a good steak!"

I'm partial to tenderloin cuts and I very much enjoyed the specially-ordered Beef Wellington on Seascape in March. If there is a special steak preparation you really enjoy, do not hesitate to see the YC maître d' and request your steak dinner, allowing a day or two lead time.

Steak au poivre?
Chateaubriand?
London broil?
Steak Diane?
Steak Tartare?

If they have the required steak cut and other ingredients, the YC kitchen is very accommodating.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jules815 said:

I have a Butcher's Cut question. Husband and I will be sailing on Seascape. This will be our third MSC cruise and we've never used the Diamond benefit at Butcher's Cut or any other specialty restaurant. I think we're going to give it a try next cruise. I understand it's a special pre fix menu for the Diamond benefit meal. Are you able to order an extra side or whatever and just pay for it?

You can do that, and also use a la carte at a 50% discount in lieu of the fixed menu. For us, the fixed menu meets our needs more than adequately! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, no1talks said:

I'm partial to tenderloin cuts and I very much enjoyed the specially-ordered Beef Wellington on Seascape in March. If there is a special steak preparation you really enjoy, do not hesitate to see the YC maître d' and request your steak dinner, allowing a day or two lead time.

Steak au poivre?
Chateaubriand?
London broil?
Steak Diane?
Steak Tartare?

If they have the required steak cut and other ingredients, the YC kitchen is very accommodating.

That wouldn't be necessary for me. I'd just be happy with a filet.

We've found Butcher's Cut to be "fine" for what it is but it's not an "OMG must go there" experience. As others have said the filet in the YC is just as good. We do still like to go to Butcher's Cut at least once for the varied breads, appetizers and desserts. My partner always gets a filet but I like a good ribeye so will usually have that at Butcher's Cut.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, karmamule said:

We've found Butcher's Cut to be "fine" for what it is but it's not an "OMG must go there" experience. As others have said the filet in the YC is just as good. We do still like to go to Butcher's Cut at least once for the varied breads, appetizers and desserts. My partner always gets a filet but I like a good ribeye so will usually have that at Butcher's Cut.

We've never gone to any of the specialty restaurants on MSC because we've never wanted to miss out on anything in the YC restaurant during our 7 days cruises. Next one is a B2B, so we'll have more time to check things out minus the FOMO.  😃

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jules815 said:

We've never gone to any of the specialty restaurants on MSC because we've never wanted to miss out on anything in the YC restaurant during our 7 days cruises. Next one is a B2B, so we'll have more time to check things out minus the FOMO.  😃

Of all the lines we've been on we've found MSC's specialty restaurants to be the most ho-hum. We almost always leave them saying "Well that was good" but w/o a sense of wow we have to go back soon. Looking forward to trying Hola Tacos again because of several reports of how good it is, unlike when we tried it a little over a year ago.

Our next is a B2B as well so we'll be going to some specialty restaurants more for the sake of variety than feeling like we'll be getting substantially better food.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 12:03 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That wouldn't be necessary for me. I'd just be happy with a filet.

Chances are that if you order a filet several nights your server will ask you what they could do different in the preparation for you. That's what YC is all about. And that's why we LOVE it! 🙂

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Chances are that if you order a filet several nights your server will ask you what they could do different in the preparation for you. That's what YC is all about. And that's why we LOVE it! 🙂

If anything at all, maybe add a peppercorn sauce. I would be happy with a filet and salad or other vegetables most nights. I will also eat their prime rib, lobster, grilled chicken, and perhaps try their pasta. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I would be happy with a filet and salad or other vegetables most nights. I will also eat their prime rib, lobster, grilled chicken, and perhaps try their pasta.

We loved their risotto and always ordered that as a third main dish to share. Don't be shy about asking for lobster or scallops to accompany your filet or maybe Oscar style. You're in YC. 🙂

• Like 2