Butcher’s Cut? Yacht club restaurant?

1 minute ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Try it. They are very accommodating!

Nope.  Tried it. Denied. Was on the Grandiosa in Feb on my actual birthday. Boarded on my b'day and hubs asked if I could have a lobster tail w/ dinner in YC.  Was denied.  No special treatment for us 🙂  As with EVERYTHING MSC, your experience may vary... 

Edited by Morgsmom
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Nope.  Tried it. Denied.

Oh, I'm so sorry. We were on Divina and Mauricio was the manager of Le Muse there for our two recent sailings. We had servers Edgar and Onel for the two cruises and they both told us that they were looking forward to having our "leftover" lamb. We were happy to help them out.

Edited by Best Cat Mom

13 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Oh, I'm so sorry. We were on Divina and Mauricio was the manager of Le Muse there for our two recent sailings. We had servers Edgar and Onel for the two cruises and they both told us that they were looking forward to having our "leftover" lamb. We were happy to help them out.

OH, Mauricio is the best!  Such a hoot.  He loves to bend the rules 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed MSC Seaside in June 2023 and were fortunate to upgrade to YC. Our impression of dining in the YC is it comparable to a Michelin one or 2 star restaurant.  Well above the specialty restaurants on other cruise lines. Maybe 2 levels above Coastal Kitchen on Royal.

Just our impression after 285 cruises.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, centurycruiser said:

We sailed MSC Seaside in June 2023 and were fortunate to upgrade to YC. Our impression of dining in the YC is it comparable to a Michelin one or 2 star restaurant.  Well above the specialty restaurants on other cruise lines. Maybe 2 levels above Coastal Kitchen on Royal.

Just our impression after 285 cruises.

I've never sailed in YC but comparable to a one or two star Michelin restaurant? Surely not

21 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Can't say if we've ever been to a Michelin restaurant but we have had their tires on a couple cars.  Generally a bit more expensive but also pretty quiet.

As far as YC dining, generally very good.

The same company, no idea why they review high end restaurants 😂

1 hour ago, mcoler181 said:

The same company, no idea why they review high end restaurants 😂

Same reason why the AA (Automobile Association) in the UK rates hotels, it was all part of providing guides and services to drivers. Began in 1912 for the AA and 1926 for Michelin.

Edited by Mark_T

14 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Same reason why the AA (Automobile Association) in the UK rates hotels, it was all part of providing guides and services to drivers. Began in 1912 for the AA and 1926 for Michelin.

Interesting. Not really relevant to drivers now, i'll just pop in this 3 star £400 a head restaurant for a spot of lunch while passing 😂

46 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

Interesting. Not really relevant to drivers now, i'll just pop in this 3 star £400 a head restaurant for a spot of lunch while passing 😂

Very true, but it does have a certain similarity with how cruise lines like MSC and Fred Olsen came intro being though 🙂

24 minutes ago, centurycruiser said:

For someone without experience you're prettyof yourself

I find it hard to believe that MSC (or any mainstream cruise line for that matter) would be knocking out food comparable to Michelin star restaurant, it takes a lot to gain 1 star never mind 2. Every dish has to be perfection every single time and from what I have read/seen that is certainly not the case. 

Edited by mcoler181

1 hour ago, mcoler181 said:

I find it hard to believe that MSC (or any mainstream cruise line for that matter) would be knocking out food comparable to Michelin star restaurant, it takes a lot to gain 1 star never mind 2. Every dish has to be perfection every single time and from what I have read/seen that is certainly not the case. 

No Michelin starred restaurant would ever attempt to deliver the number of covers served in the YC, and it would be unreasonable to expect that standard, and yes it doesn't come up to those standards.

It is however true that even with only one cruise so far in YC, they managed to impress me very much with the quality of the food they served when compared to Celebrity's Luminae (.. or Murano)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

No Michelin starred restaurant would ever attempt to deliver the number of covers served in the YC, and it would be unreasonable to expect that standard, and yes it doesn't come up to those standards.

It is however true that even with only one cruise so far in YC, they managed to impress me very much with the quality of the food they served when compared to Celebrity's Luminae (.. or Murano)

Thanks for the answer Mark, 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 12:15 PM, mcoler181 said:

I guess you have a lot of experience in Michelin starred restaurants?  Maybe as much as YC?

41 minutes ago, centurycruiser said:

I guess you have a lot of experience in Michelin starred restaurants?  Maybe as much as YC?

Not a lot no, just 4. Since posting though we have actually booked YC for next June, so will come back to you after with my opinion.

On 6/10/2023 at 8:10 PM, sbcs5390 said:

Fortunately it’s the opposite - on S and M class on Celebrity, Luminae is the only restaurant without its own galley. We had a lot of lukewarm soups because they came from the main galley in Luminae on Solstice. (This has been remedied on E class)

I don’t know where you got this info about Luminae not having its own galley. We have had a tour of it and it has a dedicated area immediately behind the restaurant. It was taken over from the mdr galley when Luminae was built but it is self so rained with their own chefs, equipment and other staff.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:31 AM, Gordoncruickshank said:

I don’t know where you got this info about Luminae not having its own galley. We have had a tour of it and it has a dedicated area immediately behind the restaurant. It was taken over from the mdr galley when Luminae was built but it is self so rained with their own chefs, equipment and other staff.

This was from the Luminae staff on the Solstice. Conversely on E class the galley is much closer, as they explained, and completely dedicated to Luminae. They cited the long distance as cause of many of the complaints they get about food temperature. I can appreciate what you saw on the tour, but can only go on the direct accounts we were told. “Luminae is the only restaurant on the ship without its own galley!”

2 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

I can appreciate what you saw on the tour, but can only go on the direct accounts we were told. “Luminae is the only restaurant on the ship without its own galley!”

When we had the galley tour on Millennium, the Luminae galley was a part of the MDR galley, in its own area for sure, but still on the same level as, and contiguous with the MDR galley.

The waiters carrying the food have to go from the kitchen to Luminae via escalators, if I recall correctly. Tuscan does have its own kitchen on the same level though.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1