LIVE, Resilient Lady- 6/4-6/11

MeganGC1983

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Wow, another from MeganGC1983! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

MeganGC1983 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

“There’s two types of people: Greeks and everybody else who wishes they was Greek” - Gus Portokalos

Good evening, Cruise Critic! I’m interrupting all the other European lives to start my own. Join me as we fly to Athens and embark on the new-ish Resilient Lady calling on Santorini, Rhodes, Bodrum and Mykonos (for an overnight), then back to Athens for 2 days and a long layover in London. 
We will get all those daily planners, see the new shows, try the new menus, and as always, have a ton of cocktails. 
So hit that follow button, pack your air tag, and Let’s do Greece the Virgin Way! 🥂🥂

899FFA11-B41B-4478-AF89-ECDEB1CC3E24.jpeg

• Like 32

This trip was unexpected. I did NOT think we would be cruising this summer, but in the middle of March, some things fell into place and through work, I get to go on this lovely voyage. 
For those that are new, this will be my third sailing with VV. Nov. 2022, we sailed the Scarlet Lady. Jan. 2023, we were on the Valiant, and soon to be on Resilient. This is our first time to Greece, and DH’s first trip outta North America. 
When we found out about this, DH wasn’t happy that he was going to have to use vacation days, but since then, he’s come around so much that we added extra days to the end after disembarking. Originally, he wanted to leave the 3rd, but I wasn’t chancing it with flight delays and interruptions… I don’t think it’s worth possibly missing the ship to get there the day of the cruise, so we fly out of DFW June 2nd, landing the 3rd and embarking the 4th. 
I extensively watched flights for several weeks, even though we were all ready behind. At first, it looked like we were going to go with Air Canada… the Spirit Airlines of the north, but then British Airways came out of nowhere with the perfect itinerary to fit our needs. American Airlines to DC, BA to Heathrow, then on to Athens. We will land in Athens about 2pm and hit the ground running. 

8A1356B6-D1A6-4574-8114-3A4C31004BB0.jpeg

2901C3E1-E02C-4DB4-8B5F-3648D618088B.jpeg

9133D1E5-84A0-4A1D-A6DA-563D13A422CC.jpeg

Edited by MeganGC1983
  • Like 11

Pre-cruise- since I’m not exactly sure how DH will do with jetlag and IF I’ll actually sleep on the overnight flight, I’ve elected to save the Acropolis and what not until after we’ve disembarked. I found the Hotel Thissio in Athens with a great view, good location and priced right for pre-cruise accommodations. After booking, they messaged me offering airport to hotel transportation. At first, we were going to take the train, but with the luggage, it seemed easier to take them up on the offer for 30 euros and have a personal driver into Athens proper. 
The plan is to check in, freshen up, have some cocktails, and a rooftop dinner nearby. 🤞🏻 Let’s all hope that works out. 😆🥂🇬🇷

765E0053-8960-42B2-8E16-0D26E178305A.jpeg

• Like 21

17 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

At first, it looked like we were going to go with Air Canada… the Spirit Airlines of the north, but then British Airways came out of nowhere with the perfect itinerary to fit our needs. 

Hahaha i love this - never heard anyone refer to AC that way but yeah it fits the bill! 

Looking forward to following along on your adventure - the itinerary looks awesome! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Janthere said:

Hahaha i love this - never heard anyone refer to AC that way but yeah it fits the bill! 

Looking forward to following along on your adventure - the itinerary looks awesome! 

If it’s not a thing, it should be. 😉 

Thanks for coming along. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Pre-cruise- since I’m not exactly sure how DH will do with jetlag and IF I’ll actually sleep on the overnight flight, I’ve elected to save the Acropolis and what not until after we’ve disembarked. I found the Hotel Thissio in Athens with a great view, good location and priced right for pre-cruise accommodations. After booking, they messaged me offering airport to hotel transportation. At first, we were going to take the train, but with the luggage, it seemed easier to take them up on the offer for 30 euros and have a personal driver into Athens proper. 
The plan is to check in, freshen up, have some cocktails, and a rooftop dinner nearby. 🤞🏻 Let’s all hope that works out. 😆🥂🇬🇷

765E0053-8960-42B2-8E16-0D26E178305A.jpeg

Sounds like a decent deal for a prearranged driver. Been seeing reports of long taxi queues, not something I would be in the mood for. Have to say I’m pretty concerned about jet lag as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fogcityca13 said:

Sounds like a decent deal for a prearranged driver. Been seeing reports of long taxi queues, not something I would be in the mood for. Have to say I’m pretty concerned about jet lag as well. 

I thought it was reasonable. At the very least, he’ll at least know where he’s going since he works for the hotel. Plus, the driver’s name is Nick. How can we go to Greece and NOT have a driver named Nick?! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

Third review of yours I read. 
please see Greece  before lots of drinking..history is mind blowing. Night life great.

going ba k to Greece but in sept.oh the heat unreal

I definitely plan to see a lot! It’s a marathon, not a sprint. As far as “before drinking”, I can’t make too many promises, but I’m pretty functional and highly motivated. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I definitely plan to see a lot! It’s a marathon, not a sprint. As far as “before drinking”, I can’t make too many promises, but I’m pretty functional and highly motivated. 😉

Just now, MeganGC1983 said:

Glad to have you! 

Just for hiking up to the sites..I almost fell..wrong shoes. Did drink in afternoon.but I was sober to climb.  What are your ports and times..might hsve ideas. Going in sept  another line 

• Like 2

Just now, Roel94 said:

Just for hiking up to the sites..I almost fell..wrong shoes. Did drink in afternoon.but I was sober to climb.  What are your ports and times..might hsve ideas. Going in sept  another line 

Oh, I’ll definitely be sober to hike. I’ve seen a lot of slick rock, step, street warnings. 

0C38390D-8A04-4394-8B2B-C59D63B5AFC1.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Geez…I’m going to have to use my vacation time from work to keep up with all these live reviews. Not complaining though! Have the best time!!! 

PS….at least this one hasn’t been kept a deep dark secret IYKYK 🙃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17