Full Breakfast on the balcony?

bookitdanno

Depends on the ship.  Please verify this as it has been a long time since I have sailed on these - the Vista, Signature and I believe R class ships all have an oval coffee table in the regular verandah cabins that is height adjustable.  When we've previously sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam we would simply move that table to the balcony, raise it up and use it as a dining table.  It worked well for 2 people.  

The Pinnacle class ships don't have this coffee table and we have found the only way to eat in the verandah cabins in this class is with your plate on your lap.  Not very enjoyable at all.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Depends on the ship.  Please verify this as it has been a long time since I have sailed on these - the Vista, Signature and I believe R class ships all have an oval coffee table in the regular verandah cabins that is height adjustable.  When we've previously sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam we would simply move that table to the balcony, raise it up and use it as a dining table.  It worked well for 2 people.  

The Pinnacle class ships don't have this coffee table and we have found the only way to eat in the verandah cabins in this class is with your plate on your lap.  Not very enjoyable at all.

Thank you! The ship will be the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Best to try breakfast on the balcony when you are already docked in port - less wind and/or cold.

My occasional balcony breakfasts consist of only yogurt, granola and/or a croissant, an orange and a cup of coffee that DH brings down on his own. 

35 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

A little Saturday divergence...

I don't eat in my bedroom at home, so why would I want to eat in my floating bedroom?

The cruise to Alaska has MUCH better scenery from the balcony than my bedroom. I would eat breakfast on the balcony.

To the OP, some people will balance their plate on their lap.

Edited by auntmeg

1 minute ago, auntmeg said:

To the OP, some people will balance their plate on their lap.

What? Speak to me of this dark magic! What madness is next? Cocktail in your left hand, hors d'oeuvres in the right??? Where will this craziness end?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, auntmeg said:

The cruise to Alaska has MUCH better scenery from the balcony than my bedroom.

30 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Perhaps for the fresh ocean view? My bedroom view is a rose garden.

So if your bedroom had a view you'd eat in it?  Well, if your bedroom had this incredible view, than why wouldn't your dining room or kitchen have that same view?  I don't know, call me weird, but I do bedroom activities in the bedroom...bathroom activities in the bathroom, and hence my aversion to eating where I sleep.  Plus, I know you balcony diners think it's okay to leave your plates in the hallway, so yea, my bias is showing.

Edited by PACD_JG

This works for Pinnacle Ships only.  The coffee table has a raised edge and is not practical for card playing or putting down plates, so we turn it on its side an have a flat surface that is about 10% larger.

happy sailing   Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

A little Saturday divergence...

I don't eat in my bedroom at home, so why would I want to eat in my floating bedroom?

Because I don't want to get up, get showered and dressed and go out for a cup of coffee! I understand that you can't have small appliances in your cabin but lord I would have loved a small coffee maker. But no matter, room service was free and I could enjoy my coffee and breakfast with a view. Though I underestimated how cold it would be on the open water in the North Sea in April and didn't enjoy it on the verandah. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gibbie42 said:

Because I don't want to get up, get showered and dressed and go out for a cup of coffee! I understand that you can't have small appliances in your cabin but lord I would have loved a small coffee maker. But no matter, room service was free and I could enjoy my coffee and breakfast with a view. Though I underestimated how cold it would be on the open water in the North Sea in April and didn't enjoy it on the verandah. 

Glad to hear we are not the only ones who like this.  It is part of our regular routine when we sail in warmer climes.  Some might consider it a romantic way to start your day!   

9 minutes ago, Gibbie42 said:

Some fill a very good thermos bottle with hot coffee the night before from the Lido, to have it ready first thing in the morning the next day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/1/2023 at 1:09 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It doesn't always happen. It depends on the way the waves come at the ship. In "following seas," where waves hit the ship at the back, they come in under the ship and then the ship slaps down on the water. It isn't rhythmic like pitching or rolling. It was random and jarring and it happened a few days in a row because of our direction and the weather system we were in. In all of my cruises, I never had an experience like that, and I've been aft plenty of times. It's why I booked midships for my second time on the K. 

4 hours ago, weix said:

This works for Pinnacle Ships only.  The coffee table has a raised edge and is not practical for card playing or putting down plates, so we turn it on its side an have a flat surface that is about 10% larger.

happy sailing   Chris

I can't picture what you're describing. On K'dam, we had an oval glass-topped table that couldn't be raised (Neptune suite, maybe that's the difference) and turning it on its side wouldn't' give us any surface. Did your coffee table have solid sides?

2 hours ago, weix said:

I am sorry not to mention that we where in a Balcony Stateroom.. yYes the table has two solid sides and a top with a 2 inch wide raised rim

I have never seen one of those. It's great for keeping things from rolling off in rough seas, but it does sound awkward for eating, having to reach down into the top. Very odd choice.

8 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I don't know, call me weird, but I do bedroom activities in the bedroom...bathroom activities in the bathroom, and hence my aversion to eating where I sleep.

Breakfast in bed has a long cultural history of pampering the recipient.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have never seen one of those. It's great for keeping things from rolling off in rough seas, but it does sound awkward for eating, having to reach down into the top. 

The raised area is 1.5-2" from the edge, the amount of the depression is only about 1/4". The first photo in this HALFACTS' gallery shows it pretty well due to low lighting.

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4102-koningsdam/

Calling it a coffee table is a stretch, it is a cubbie good for holding a coffee cup or glass of wine! On its side it might be 10% larger but it would also be 10% lower...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We prefer room service breakfast on port days, especially if we have a shore excursion. We've had breakfast on the balcony on both ship classes. Now we usually just keep the main room service tray inside abd just take our coffee cups on the balcony or cups and plates, but you will find a rhythm that suits your needs. Tip: if you like cream in your coffee, order extra cream...I love room service breakfast!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AnnieBelle said:

We always have a regular veranda and have the room service attendant put the tray on the ottoman on the balcony. This is our first morning tradition.

Very nice tradition and solution to the "small table" dilemma.  

Like @newtocruiseinblue, we commonly only get breakfast delivered when going ashore. But next cruise will have a lot of sea days, might have to try something new!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

We prefer room service breakfast on port days, especially if we have a shore excursion. We've had breakfast on the balcony on both ship classes. Now we usually just keep the main room service tray inside abd just take our coffee cups on the balcony or cups and plates, but you will find a rhythm that suits your needs. Tip: if you like cream in your coffee, order extra cream...I love room service breakfast!

That’s exactly what I do.  I don’t really understand the angst.  It doesn’t kill me to put my food on my plate on my lap.  What do people do if they go to something like an outdoor barbecue without tables? I’m speaking on land not on a ship.

• Like 3