Please help clarify wine choices in basic vs premium drink package

Lorenky

9 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

It all depends on what you consider a premium wine. Most wines available on the Classic plan average out to about $10-$15 a bottle at retail prices. Premium package wines are in the $15-$25 a bottle neighborhood. If you really want to drink something nice, you will need to bring it with you or buy a bottle. I am not saying there in not something on either beverage list that is tasty but when I read the words "high end wines", I think you may be getting your hopes up a bit much.

I think your comparison to typical retail wine prices and styles is spot on. These conversations always make my eyes roll somewhat, because one persons "good" or "high end" wine is another persons swill. If you are at all familiar with what you usually pay at home for something you enjoy drinking, I think this will help you know what to expect.

Personally, I find that the wines in the premium package are quite satisfactory. By being friendly with and appreciative of the sommeliers, I have frequently been offered something extra special that is above what the package usually covers. If I am eating in Murano or Tuscan, I will usually order a bottle of something extra nice. The wine lists in both of these places have very premium wines available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, conquesodor said:

By being friendly with and appreciative of the sommeliers, I have frequently been offered something extra special that is above what the package usually covers.

We have as well, I remember a cruise in late 2021 where our Somm poured us nothing but wine NOT offered on the by the glass menu each night...if was a fun...some hits and some misses.

A few things to consider:

The bars will usually only have a limited selection of wine. The one exception is Cellar Masters if you are on a ship that still has them.

Only a few wines are listed on the MDR menu, but many more wines are available if you talk to the sommeliers. Choice can vary, but here's a representative selection of reds, classic vs. premium on display in the app right now:

Screenshot_20230706_120757_Celebrity.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_120806_Celebrity.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_120826_Celebrity.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_120832_Celebrity.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_120838_Celebrity.jpg

1 hour ago, conquesodor said:

A few things to consider:

The bars will usually only have a limited selection of wine. The one exception is Cellar Masters if you are on a ship that still has them.

Only a few wines are listed on the MDR menu, but many more wines are available if you talk to the sommeliers. Choice can vary, but here's a representative selection of reds, classic vs. premium on display in the app right now:

Screenshot_20230706_120757_Celebrity.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_120806_Celebrity.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_120826_Celebrity.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_120832_Celebrity.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_120838_Celebrity.jpg

The CK Mondavi cab is excellent and probably should be on premium list but I guess they got it pretty cheap. Last year I saw a waiter walk by me with a few bottles and when I questioned him he said many people on premium asked for it.  I was served  it during Elite HH. 

• Thanks 1

Wine drinkers don't fare very well with drink packages. The bar staff generally don't know the first thing about wine, and you are lucky if you get the same varietal of wine, much less the same winery. The standard seems to be whatever is open at the moment. Ask for a premium level champagne and you probably get that prosecco in the refrigerator, the same as a Classic package guest would get. The MDR can be a little better in this regard, but not always. I've ordered a Mer Soleil when it was on the Premium list and been poured La Terre.

One time when I inquired about the discrepancy, I was told at the Sky Lounge bar that the wine list was just "examples", not something you actually ordered from.

So if that New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc that you ordered has all the characteristics of one from South Africa instead, you're probably not wrong.

wines.jpg

• Like 1

I would not count on the sommelier taking care of you.  Our last Celebrity cruise the sommelier just kept pouring the same two or three reds and not discussing the selections at all.

It is great when you get good service, but I am not sure it is guaranteed.  Fall back plan is to order by the bottle...

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Jim_Iain said:

While not Champagne on current cruises on Basic Package for Sparkling they have

Brut, Celebrity Vintages - Loire, France

Prosecco - Zonin, Italy

Zonin Rose -  - Zonin, Italy

I find Zonin quite decent and I tend to drink more expensive champagne.  I’m still not happy with most of the wine onboard.  Last time I was drinking wine from Napa one day then the next I get wine from Lodi.  I didn’t repeat that.  The choices are limited, even with premium.

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

Last time I was drinking wine from Napa one day then the next I get wine from Lodi.  I didn’t repeat that.

Lodi is known for their Zins but they also produce some great cabs. I was at the Martini bar on Apex in May and asked bartender if he had any pinots I could try during HH.  Without hesitation he poured me the Elegance pinot but it was flat so I left it and ordered some cheapie.  The next night I mentioned it to another bartender and he said the martini bar typically doesn't go through a lot of wine so that could be the reason. He left and brought back a new Elegance pinot and poured me a large glass. 

45 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Lodi is known for their Zins but they also produce some great cabs. I was at the Martini bar on Apex in May and asked bartender if he had any pinots I could try during HH.  Without hesitation he poured me the Elegance pinot but it was flat so I left it and ordered some cheapie.  The next night I mentioned it to another bartender and he said the martini bar typically doesn't go through a lot of wine so that could be the reason. He left and brought back a new Elegance pinot and poured me a large glass. 

I hate when someone counters my (wine) prejudice with reasonable specific examples!

I will drink Lodi or Modesto.  I drink almost anything.  But I am surprised when they show up on the Celebrity premium list in Luminae.  

I'm in North Carolina and drink local wine here.  But to be honest, both Raylen (Mocksville) and Hinnant (Pine Level) haven't been as good lately.  I do sometimes drink wine from the Biltmore Estate (Asheville).  My local Total Wine store and Harris Teeter has a North Carolina section but they don't carry the ones I prefer except for Biltmore.  I avoid muscadine and scuppernong wine which is very popular in the eastern part of the state.  Hinnant used to make their own chardonnay but then started selling one made in Washington State.

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The next night I mentioned it to another bartender and he said the martini bar typically doesn't go through a lot of wine so that could be the reason. He left and brought back a new Elegance pinot and poured me a large glass.

My experience has been similar as well. Each bar has it's own focus, particularly the martini bar, but if you frequent a bar and ask nicely they will often accommodate you. For example, on my last cruise (Nov 2022) I told the bartender at the Martini Bar that I preferred the Antica vermouth they have at Tuscan over the Martini & Rossi the bar used and for the rest of the cruise they had a bottle of Antica stashed away for me when I ordered a negroni. I also told our MDR sommelier that I enjoyed the Tenuta di Nozzole Chianti Classico that Tuscan has on their wine menu and each night he had a bottle of that for me that he poured from as part of my package. Your mileage may vary, but generally speaking the service on Celebrity is outstanding and they will try to make you happy.

Edited by conquesodor
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, zitsky said:

I hate when someone counters my (wine) prejudice with reasonable specific examples!

I will drink Lodi or Modesto.  I drink almost anything.  But I am surprised when they show up on the Celebrity premium list in Luminae.  

I'm in North Carolina and drink local wine here.  But to be honest, both Raylen (Mocksville) and Hinnant (Pine Level) haven't been as good lately.  I do sometimes drink wine from the Biltmore Estate (Asheville).  My local Total Wine store and Harris Teeter has a North Carolina section but they don't carry the ones I prefer except for Biltmore.  I avoid muscadine and scuppernong wine which is very popular in the eastern part of the state.  Hinnant used to make their own chardonnay but then started selling one made in Washington State.

A former NC resident here. Try Jones Van Drehle, which is out in the boonies from Elkin. Signatures wines are Petit Manseng and Cabernet Franc. 

22 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

A former NC resident here. Try Jones Van Drehle, which is out in the boonies from Elkin. Signatures wines are Petit Manseng and Cabernet Franc. 

Small world.  Yes I’ve tried the Petit Manseng at a local French restaurant, several times.  It’s on my bucket list.  Maybe next time I drive to Asheville.

On 6/4/2023 at 3:53 AM, drakes2 said:

There are no high end wines on the Premium package. Decoy cab is listed on that package certainty not high end and they often run out.

Agree that we had no high end wines this week with the Premium and no Decoy even listed.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 7:19 AM, prmssk said:

It greatly depends on what they have in stock which no one can even guess this far out.  But generally, the classic package just includes a handful of standard, pretty cheap reds.  If you are used to good red wine, you will be disappointed with the classic offerings. You can always just pay the difference for a better glass of wine (plus gratuity on that difference).  Your drink package also gives you a discount on bottles of wine.

As to where you can get wine, MDR probably has the most extensive wine list on the ship.  I think Cellar Masters has been removed from the Reflection but that also usually has a good wine list.  I'm not sure whether there is a good lounge/bar with the elimination of Cellar Masters that has a good wine selection but when you board I would ask at the various bars as their selection sometimes is different.

The discount for bottles of wine sounds good.  For classic I think it is 15%, but what about gratuities?  Supposed to be included for the package, but at they included for the purchase by the bottle?

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

The discount for bottles of wine sounds good.  For classic I think it is 15%, but what about gratuities?  Supposed to be included for the package, but at they included for the purchase by the bottle?

Of course. Gratuities are always added for any additional purchase.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks.

Gratuities are only included for any drink (or portion of a drink) that is covered by the package.  So you will pay gratuities on price of the bottle of wine after the discount has been applied.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 12:14 PM, conquesodor said:

if you talk to the sommeliers

Exactly I usually try to talk talk one on day 1 and every time find one’s off menu that I really enjoy.  I get premium package and sometimes the wines are 1-2 dollars more per glass, well worth it.  Also on last few cruises I arranged it to be kept at whatever bar I frequented before dinner.  Very accommodating.  

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Exactly I usually try to talk talk one on day 1 and every time find one’s off menu that I really enjoy.  I get premium package and sometimes the wines are 1-2 dollars more per glass, well worth it.  Also on last few cruises I arranged it to be kept at whatever bar I frequented before dinner.  Very accommodating.  

You mean when you ordered a bottle, yes?

48 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You mean when you ordered a bottle, yes?

nope, the sommelier will open bottles to have by the glass that are over the premium amount.  Last cruise I had Foley Pinot Noir, payed I think 1-2 dollars over the premium amount per glass.  Dont remember.   The sommelier made sure it was always available at the ensemble lounge for me to purchase by the glass and the main dining room when I ate there.  I search out the head sommelier, most times find him or work with one of the other ones, usually the first day to see what is available, I dont ask the bars waiters etc.  It's easier on ships that still have cellar masters to find him but not really hard tbh.  

Edited by bikerunner
context
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

nope, the sommelier will open bottles to have by the glass that are over the premium amount.  Last cruise I had Foley Pinot Noir, payed I think 1-2 dollars over the premium amount per glass.  Dont remember.   The sommelier made sure it was always available at the ensemble lounge for me to purchase by the glass and the main dining room when I ate there.  I search out the head sommelier, most times find him or work with one of the other ones, usually the first day to see what is available, I dont ask the bars waiters etc.  It's easier on ships that still have cellar masters to find him but not really hard tbh.  

ok.  Thanks for sharing. 

Not our experience but glad they made you happy.

Should cruisers have to search someone out and negotiate to get something acceptable?

In our opinion the bev  packages just don't really work for wine drinkers, except if you take advantage of the carry on with no corkage or buying by the bottle.  We will do it out of ports that make carry- on options limited, otherwise no by the glass for us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

ok.  Thanks for sharing. 

Not our experience but glad they made you happy.

Should cruisers have to search someone out and negotiate to get something acceptable?

In our opinion the bev  packages just don't really work for wine drinkers, except if you take advantage of the carry on with no corkage or buying by the bottle.  We will do it out of ports that make carry- on options limited, otherwise no by the glass for us.

They can’t list everything available every cruise as it’s a supply issue. Always changing except the basics  The foley was on that ship but was not on another.  Hence talk to sommiellers. It’s not negotiating I asked if they could keep it at that particular bar and mdr.  Didn’t have to do anything  else.  

We have premium drink package and have just asked for certain wines in the Sky Bar and they usually appear the next night, if not available the first night. When I am offered Chandon when I ask for champagne, I say, " no thanks. Real champagne , please" Never has been a problem. I often have noted bar staff "hiding" my and my husband's preferred wines. In other bars around the ship I have had no problem asking for my preferred chardonnay from the regular bar staff, tho' they may have to get it from another area. 

Yeah, I guess I got side tacked when bikerunner said that you searched out the head sommelier.

We dealt with one sommelier who kept offering the only two red wines that he had by the glass on Apex.  Those were one the list but any others were out of stock.  So  that 's is why I post that you can not rely on negotiating your way to good service.  Just too much hassle for us.

So if they hide your wines, does that do a dis-service to others?

Jus too much hassle...

10 minutes ago, 39august said:

We have premium drink package and have just asked for certain wines in the Sky Bar and they usually appear the next night, if not available the first night. When I am offered Chandon when I ask for champagne, I say, " no thanks. Real champagne , please" Never has been a problem. I often have noted bar staff "hiding" my and my husband's preferred wines. In other bars around the ship I have had no problem asking for my preferred chardonnay from the regular bar staff, tho' they may have to get it from another area. 

Our sommelier “got in trouble” for offering us Veuve Clicquot one night.  Next night it was back to the ordinary stuff.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Our sommelier “got in trouble” for offering us Veuve Clicquot one night.  Next night it was back to the ordinary stuff.

When I was on the Apex TA this past May a bottle of Veuve and a Mer Soleil was delivered to my stateroom on the second day. Such a nice touch as something I would never purchase for myself. The Veuve made it back to Canada all the way from Amsterdam in perfect condition. 

• Like 1