The "feedback" ...

During a coffee chat type of program on the Nieuw Statendam the Hotel General Manager (?) Mustafa stated that every positive mention on the Navigator app that a crew member receives earns them 15 extra minutes of shore time. They can accumulate their 15 minutes to use when they would like. I don't know if this is ship specific but that is an incentive program under this manager.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

Yes, i am aware that the NAVAPP has a feature.  I apologize for not saying so.

But, good point.  How do you know they are read? Accepted, and so forth.  Hmm.

Well -- for that matter, how do you know that paper notes are read?  🤔

The App worked well for me on Westerdam. I did not expect a response except for one time when I reported a maintenance issue I spotted. Received a reply thanking me and the problem was addressed very shortly thereafter.

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We sent praises for our favorites via Navigator. The guys and gals said they got our feedback via an email,  in their digital files, on a message board in the crew room, and one day we heard an announcement (that we wrote) praising our Lido bar server staying with my husband when he started choking. The digital file is used for management when they look for promotions,  so it's very important to record this for our favorites who go above and beyond.

1231221727.jpg

0115221028_HDR.jpg

0115221640_HDR.jpg

0103221743.jpg

1231221818a_HDR.jpg

1231221852a.jpg

Those are, certainly, heroic people!  Way to go!

---Matthew

8 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Don't have a smartphone. The first time I use the Internet on my laptop while cruising, I have to connect thru a version of Navigator. So I have been using my laptop to leave comments - as well as the other Navigator options.

Good stuff.  Yep, I have a smartphone -- although, it is a few years old!  When I posted this, I should have mentioned that I do "know" about the NAVAPP feature.

Thank you my friend.

7 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

This may seem silly but i usually bring postcards from home to not only share with my table mates our contact information but to send thank you and appreciation notes to the appropriate departments. If i am not sure whom to thank, the front desk always is eager to give me the correct name. I always receive a note in kind. I like to write also, and I always send postcards from the ship. The mail service is really great. I dont mind so much that they do not provide cards, but you can always ask for a paper and pen at the front desk. I think a kind note goes a long way for them. I know the captain and crew appreciate it, as well as my comments and pics at the end of the voyage. 

I do not think that is silly AT ALL.  I like creative ideas.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, regnig said:

I attempted to leave positive feedback on the Navigator for several members of the cruise staff on my spring 21 day cruise. I never received any acknowledgement for any of them, not even a Thank You for letting us know.  The only time I knew my praise was passed along was when stopped in the hallway one evening by the uniformed head officer (sorry don't remember his title) over Hotel services and he asked how are things going and if I was pleased with the service. I verbally praised my room steward as he was wonderful and probably the best I've ever had. The next day my steward told me he was notified of my praise and awarded - now hold on to your chair - a whopping $11. 😵 Oh well, guess better than nothing!  I certainly attempted to make up it at the end of the cruise.

Interesting stuff!  Thank you for sharing that.

---Matthew

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

When I asked about sending comments while still onoard, I was also directed to use the App. This was on Eurodam April/May.

I agree the box shouldn't be out if it's not going to be used, but we probably need to use the App...

I think something that is pretty interesting.. I have several occasions (on both Eurodam 10 days ago, and Zuidy last year), in which crew-members have asked me to make mention of their efforts on the APP.  Mind you, only a couple of them were "pushy" about me following through and DOING IT.  While, others have mentioned it in a casual way.  Hmm.

----MisterMatthew

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

There has been a box with the Hotel General Managers photo on it by the front Desk, with a stack of special paper to use to let him know about whatever you wish.  This is what I used on our last 8 cruises.  The staff concerned let me know they were informed of my praise, etc. Much easier that asking at the Front Desk for something to on!

Good stuff!  :)

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Ever since we began cruising, I've carried small thank you type note cards that I write in and leave either with Guest Services or drop into the comment box if there is one.  While some of us use the Navigator, I do understand others like the written word, so I suggest heading to the dollar store and bringing along your own cards to submit your comments for favourable service.

Ger ---

Good thinking, I just may do that as well.

:) :)

5 hours ago, kazu said:

HAL does an employee of the month award.  Our waiter at the Sea View Bar was dressed very formally and of course, we asked why.  The Sea View Bar team all chimed in together  - employee of the month.  And boy, did he deserve it.  A fantastic waiter.

Now -- THAT is the kind of thing I love to hear!

---Matthew

2 hours ago, Sea42 said:

During a coffee chat type of program on the Nieuw Statendam the Hotel General Manager (?) Mustafa stated that every positive mention on the Navigator app that a crew member receives earns them 15 extra minutes of shore time. They can accumulate their 15 minutes to use when they would like. I don't know if this is ship specific but that is an incentive program under this manager.

Very interesting.  Something I did not know.  Cool!

---Matthew

I used the app several times on two cruises this winter.   When I clicked the box to "contact me", I was contacted within 24 hours.  When I told cabin stewards and Neptune Suite staff that I'd noted their excellent work, they said they had been told already, and thanked me.  So I have no doubt the comments on the app are read and communicated in a very timely manner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kdakda said:

I used the app several times on two cruises this winter.   When I clicked the box to "contact me", I was contacted within 24 hours.  When I told cabin stewards and Neptune Suite staff that I'd noted their excellent work, they said they had been told already, and thanked me.  So I have no doubt the comments on the app are read and communicated in a very timely manner.

Wonderful.

---Matthew

On the recent WC, I used Navigator all the time. I wrote compliments for various staff and always got a thank you from the staff member within a day or 2. They were informed by their supervisors whenever someone made a comment. They were very appreciative to have the positive feedback.

I also wrote comments about things I noticed around the ship. A small issue was the glass (or Lucite) around the drummer in the Rolling Stone Lounge was dirty with handprints and the stage lights reflected and we couldn’t see the drummer. I got a call from Guest Services thanking me for the comment and they cleaned it the next day.

another time I was in Water Color class and there was a large dead bug on the floor by my chair (I joke with my DH that his job of getting rid of all critters is in our imaginary “marriage contract” so there was no way I was going to pick it up). I sent a note via the app. Less than 15 minutes later, a supervisor and a crew member came up to the room looking for the bug! Luckily they had my name as I didn’t mention the bug to the instructor. She pointed me out and they cleaned up the bug. 

So yes, they definitely read the comments submitted via the app.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, oakridger said:

If a crew member asks me to give them praise on the app or survey, I do not do it.  I had two separate crew on Rotterdam last fall ask me to give them a good review even before they had even done any service at all for me!  I did mention this on the app to the management and asked if they trained the crew to do this. (I didn't give their names because I didn't want to get them in trouble) I didn't get a response to my question.  😉  One crew who was pushy about it I did discretely and politely tell him how I felt and that I would not be giving him a positive review because of that.  It was actually the best crew members that NEVER asked me to give them kudos who were the ones that I praised on the App and the post cruise survey!  Most of them also got extra gratuity from me at the end.

How do others on here feel about crew soliciting for good survey and app compliments?  Am I being unreasonable?  

~Nancy

Unlike most passengers I maintain a little notebook filled with impressions, crew member  names, and notes because I do a live from thread, and because I am a firm believer in immediate kudos on the Navigator app when I receive excellent service.  Because my notebook is so filled with names and stuff, I do extensive surveys at the end of each cruise.

My impression on the Rotterdam last December was that crew members did remind me to complete the end of cruise survey after I complimented their restaurant, laundry, or activity.  No individual crew member solicited a personal kudo from me.  YMMV

I agree completely with you that anyone who solicits a personal kudo will not get one from me. 

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

...My impression on the Rotterdam last December was that crew members did remind me to complete the end of cruise survey after I complimented their restaurant, laundry, or activity.  No individual crew member solicited a personal kudo from me.  YMMV

I agree completely with you that anyone who solicits a personal kudo will not get one from me. 

That's been my experience is always being reminded about the importance of completing the surveys. And haven't had anyone ask me to leave comments specifically for them.

• Thanks 1

@Seasick Sailor your first photo had one of my favorite waiters in Canaletto, Rika.   We always take photos with our favorite staff members.   We are Facebook friends with three men who took care of us, 2 waiters and Assistant Wine Steward, we had so much fun with them every day.

I use the Navigator app a lot, good and bad.  We had no Laphroaig whisky on the Volendam and I commented how can they advertise a specialty cocktail Penicillin in their list if they don't have it on board.  The bartender said they substituted.  Next leg of the cruise they had it onboard.  Much of my praise on the Volendam GSA was for food service.  We had some of the best food in the Lido and MDR as we have ever had on a ship.  It is always a mix of personal recognition, Navigator recognition and tips.  

One comment above was the $11 recognition for the room Steward.  It is not a pittance for the hard working people on ship.  We gave our Lido waiter Eleanor a $10 tip during a long voyage and she was thrilled and said "A day's wages in my country".  

The more we cruise the more we choose to recognize the humanity of our crew rather than just employees we deal with and it has made our cruises more enjoyable. 

IMG_0135.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Same.  I sent a lot of positive comments about the crew because many of them were so good.  Never heard a peep.

We have heard back on almost all of our feedback, usually from the person receiving it. We have even had a few phone calls to the room following up when providing positive feedback for higher level staff members.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

Not to go off topic, but i am more of the type that enjoys getting to know the crew.  Much greater degree than 

MORE COFFEE PLZ.

I like learning bout where they came from, their hobbies, siblings, what their career hopes are, and more.  I talked with one person at the pinnacle bar, turns out they do sculpting - and, showed me some things.  They worked for three cruise lines, etc, etc, etc.

People have life, stories, everything.

Sorry, don't mean to ramble.  But, they remember you --- by name --- and, like when you sit in their Section.

--Matthew

Hi, MisterMatthew,

Like you, I ask the crew members with whom I interact where they come from, about their families and most importantly their names. I keep a journal for things like that when I travel so I do not forget.

When I last cruised on HAL (Dec. 2021, Rotterdam), I left daily cards. I got responses from crew that I specifically mentioned usually within 24 hours. If the cards are not available any more, that is too bad. I would ask for paper and an envelope and write out the compliments as well as the app. Address the envelope to whomever is head of Guest relations. Make sure you leave your name and cabin number on the note. You could also make up your own cards on your computer and print them out at home before you leave.

Jim

On the Oosterdam in March, I went to the front desk and asked for a comment card.  I was directed to the table with the comment box and there were a stack of papers there.  I wrote my comments to the hotel manager..praising several crew members.  I got a note from the hotel manager that he would pass the comments on to the appropriate people.  That happened as I was thanked by a few.  
I am old fashioned and like to write thank you notes!  But I can see where the navigator app would probably be much easier to "let them know".   Thanks for all the posts on this thread.  I learned a few things.

Mary