Problems with the switchboard or the website for solo bookings?

trinitygirl

So last night I discovered that the price of my guarantee mini-suite on a transatlantic cruise I am booked on in November, had dropped $1800.  Suites on the same cruise have also dropped in price significantly.  I wasn't able to put a hold on any of them - I kept getting an error message.  This morning I rang the website and asked to upgrade to a suite; the man I spoke to spent half an hour putting me on hold and coming back, and eventually told me that they are not taking solo cabin bookings in ANY class on the ship (there is availability in every category on the ship).  He is not sure why and couldn't tell me what the solution was.  So I switched tack and asked to have my mini-suite repriced.  He said that (even though there was nothing in any of the fine print) the lower prices only apply to new bookings.  So I asked to cancel my reservation and re-book at the new price and of course, he then said we can't book a solo in a cabin in any class. 

So, in a half empty ship, doesn't that seem really odd?  Does anyone have any idea what is going on?  Do I give it a few hours and call back and hope to speak to someone who knows what they are doing, or is there some new policy about solo bookings that I am not aware of? I've never come across this before.

???

My friend tried to book a solo cabin on the Island Princess TA in December (I think it was December, maybe November) and was told that they were not booking any solo cabins in any category. There were plenty of cabins open.

He used his agent (who books a ton of Princess) and the agent called Princess and it was a no-go. She hadn't heard of this either. This was last week or the week before.

----

I could not re-price my May cruise. It was for new bookings only. I cancelled it at final payment and then re-booked it. Got a minisuite for the cost of a balcony.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

My friend tried to book a solo cabin on the Island Princess TA in December (I think it was December, maybe November) and was told that they were not booking any solo cabins in any category. There were plenty of cabins open.

He used his agent (who books a ton of Princess) and the agent called Princess and it was a no-go. She hadn't heard of this either.

That is so interesting.  So, at least it isn't personal.  I wonder why on earth they would make such a decision.  I guess I have to be glad I have a booking, but I am really peeved - they shouldn't be showing the prices online if they don't want us to know about them.   It's so weird.

Lately, folks have been writing about beating this oddity of cabins not available.  Recently, it was about not being able to book a couple in a Mini.  The workaround is to add an extra fake passenger to the booking and drop them later.  IDK why PCK would be blocking customers, many of whom would just go to another cruise line that will book them.

Edited by Steelers36

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Lately, folks have been writing about beating this oddity of cabins not available.  Recently, it was about not being able to book a couple in a Mini.  The workaround is to add an extra fake passenger to the booking and drop them later.  IDK why PCK would be blocking customers, many of whom would just go to another cruise line that will book them.

oh, that never even occurred to me.  But it won't help here because it will just double the price of the cabin.  I just opened up the Celebrity website to see if they have a similar itinerary so I think you are right about the latter point also - if Princess don't want solo travelers, we will just look elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Coral said:

I could not re-price my May cruise. It was for new bookings only. I cancelled it at final payment and then re-booked it. Got a minisuite for the cost of a balcony.

I went through that (cancelling and rebooking) in January and halved the price of my balcony cabin; then in late April I was able to switch to a mini-suite for $20 less than the cost of the balcony without cancelling.  Which is why this whole deal is so odd - it's obviously a new decision about not wanting solo sailers. 

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The issue of 3 people in aft Deluxe Balconies on the Royal Class ships have existed since day 1 of that ship. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.

Edited by Coral

1 minute ago, trinitygirl said:

I went through that (cancelling and rebooking) in January and halved the price of my balcony cabin; then in late April I was able to switch to a mini-suite for $20 less than the cost of the balcony without cancelling.  Which is why this whole deal is so odd - it's obviously a new decision about not wanting solo sailers. 

And my agent said they have a list of solo friendly cruises on their travel agent website where the cost is less than 200% to sail (some 110-150%).......

They need to get their act together.

On my last cruise (Alaska last month) - they should have thanked the solo cruisers as they filled the otherwise empty ship. There were a ton of solos on that sailing. If cabins go unfilled, then room stewards and waitstaff do not get tips.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

They need to get their act together.

On my last cruise (Alaska last month) - they should have thanked the solo cruisers as they filled the otherwise empty ship. There were a ton of solos on that sailing. If cabins go unfilled, then room stewards and waitstaff do not get tips.

I agree. This apparent denying solo travellers is disconcerting. The travel industry has experienced continued and increasing demand for solo travellers for years. We’re not going away any time soon. Let’s hope this is just a glitch in their system and they will resume being open to all travellers without discrimination.

If this turns out to be the new normal, my response will be to walk with my wallet to another cruise line. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cpcanuck said:

I agree. This apparent denying solo travellers is disconcerting. The travel industry has experienced continued and increasing demand for solo travellers for years. We’re not going away any time soon. Let’s hope this is just a glitch in their system and they will resume being open to all travellers without discrimination.

If this turns out to be the new normal, my response will be to walk with my wallet to another cruise line. 

Me as well. And I have paid 200% on most of my single cruises. I am not booking cheap 3-5 day cruises. I think the shortest cruise I have done recently was 10 days and I prefer 14+ day cruises. I also book hotels through the cruise line when in Europe and have been booking minisuite cabins (so not the cheapest cabins).

• Like 2

Just now, Coral said:

Me as well. And I have paid 200% on most of my single cruises. I am not booking cheap 3-5 day cruises. I think the shortest cruise I have done recently was 10 days and I prefer 14+ day cruises. I also book hotels through the cruise line when in Europe and have been booking minisuite cabins (so not the cheapest cabins).

Exactly!!! I am also not interested in closet-size “solo” cabins on ships that charge through the left nostril for the so-called benefit of avoiding a supplement. I want a decent cabin with a balcony. I also typically book longer trips and usually pay the full solo supplement.

• Like 5

I went into the website again and played around with booking for two people and the price was $4K more than the price I was quoted for one person, so there is clearly a solo-supplement waiver happening for this cruise - but one that they obviously don't want anyone to take up!  So for now I will just be grateful I have a cabin at all, and hope that they sort out whatever their glitch is, before I pay in full in August.

I had the opposite experience this week.  Admittedly, it's a 7 day out of Galveston between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Off season.

However, I noticed a price drop and called my TA.  She was able to get a substantial fare decrease and an increase in OBC for a Reserve Collection Mini.  No solo sailing issue.  A couple of hundred less than the 200% single occupancy fare (not including port and tax).  

B

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, trinitygirl said:

I went into the website again and played around with booking for two people and the price was $4K more than the price I was quoted for one person, so there is clearly a solo-supplement waiver happening for this cruise - but one that they obviously don't want anyone to take up!  So for now I will just be grateful I have a cabin at all, and hope that they sort out whatever their glitch is, before I pay in full in August.

I ran into issues in January when I saw a price decrease on my cruise for a solo. I spent a few days trying to go all the way and pay for it and it kept erroring out. My agent didn't see it and Princess didn't see it. It was weird. I chalked it up to Princess's poor technology. When it finally did work, the price was more than what it was the day before.

My travel planner was just able to get me solo fares on a couple of cruises that were advertised at 120%.  There was an IT glitch but she was able to send it in to get me the lower solo fare.  So, not sure why they’d tell you they aren’t selling any cabins at the lower solo fares.  Of course, mine was handled 3 days ago, not today.  Maybe you may need to wait until tomorrow when the offices are fully staffed.   

Oh boy, you are not going to believe what just happened.  About an hour ago I got an email with a new cruise contract.  I had been moved to a suite, with a cruise price more than twice the price of my mini suite, and more than $4000 than the price I had rung to query.  So I rang to find out the heck was up with that.  After 45 minutes, of this poor woman going backwards and forwards, I had to hang up without anything resolved.  They could not just reinstate my original contract because 'that fare category is no longer available' - to move to a mini suite would have cost $1000 more.  AND to cap it all off, when they moved me to the suite I never agreed to, they lost my Enclave booking - it's just gone (the reason that stresses me out is that it happened in January and they STILL have not reimbursed me - my credit card company finally reversed the charge last month).    Apparently my issue has been referred to another team and I can call back on Wednesday to find out if they have been able to reinstate my original contract.  Can you believe this crap?  I am seriously contemplating never sailing with this company again - the stress of dealing with them is just too much to deal with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

Oh boy, you are not going to believe what just happened.  About an hour ago I got an email with a new cruise contract.  I had been moved to a suite, with a cruise price more than twice the price of my mini suite, and more than $4000 than the price I had rung to query.  So I rang to find out the heck was up with that.  After 45 minutes, of this poor woman going backwards and forwards, I had to hang up without anything resolved.  They could not just reinstate my original contract because 'that fare category is no longer available' - to move to a mini suite would have cost $1000 more.  AND to cap it all off, when they moved me to the suite I never agreed to, they lost my Enclave booking - it's just gone (the reason that stresses me out is that it happened in January and they STILL have not reimbursed me - my credit card company finally reversed the charge last month).    Apparently my issue has been referred to another team and I can call back on Wednesday to find out if they have been able to reinstate my original contract.  Can you believe this crap?  I am seriously contemplating never sailing with this company again - the stress of dealing with them is just too much to deal with.

It all goes back to IT.  Seems they have messed with the pricing again, creating many issues.  I hope yours is straightened out soon.

Unfortunately, no advice here, but this is the second time in the last few days that I have read on this board where someone has called in with a cabin question, and the vacation planner books them into another room at a higher price without specific approval. Very Troubling  Sending best wishes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

Oh boy, you are not going to believe what just happened.  About an hour ago I got an email with a new cruise contract.  I had been moved to a suite, with a cruise price more than twice the price of my mini suite, and more than $4000 than the price I had rung to query.  

Good luck!

It may be called a conspiracy theory, but it could be that with the cruise lines trying to maximize their revenue from the ups and extras and not the cruise fare, allowing single travelers to book a cabin as a solo cuts their potential revenue to cabin by 50 percent.

All the more reason to turn my bookings over to a TA and let them arm wrestle with Princess.

• Like 1

just an update - after a stressful 46 hours, my booking has been returned to its original state!  Yesterday afternoon I wrote to Customer Relations with a detailed but concise summary, including screen shots etc, and when I woke up this morning everything was back where it should be.  So I am now going to pay that cruise in full and then forget about it until November.  No more attempts to make any changes and no more phone calls to the 'help line'.    What a relief.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

just an update - after a stressful 46 hours, my booking has been returned to its original state!  Yesterday afternoon I wrote to Customer Relations with a detailed but concise summary, including screen shots etc, and when I woke up this morning everything was back where it should be.  So I am now going to pay that cruise in full and then forget about it until November.  No more attempts to make any changes and no more phone calls to the 'help line'.    What a relief.

Congrats and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 3:41 PM, trinitygirl said:

he then said we can't book a solo in a cabin in any class. 

When I was on the Emerald Princess I was unable to book a cruise (solo here) with ONE Network but they wanted to sell me an undetermined week for $3300. I'm not stupid. Why would I fork over $3300 if I can't get a cruise? If Princess / CCL is no longer interested in my travel $$s where do I go?? Does any other line (other than MSC) let us transfer our status?