Power Strip

Starting to see quite a few reports of those being confiscated.  Just because it says on the site where it's sold that it's 'cruise approved', doesn't necessarily mean that it will work on all cruise lines.  I have started bringing the small ones without a cord--making sure I choose NON-SURGE protection.  

image.thumb.png.236aacda4f27c6eb8e04f2de21aef51a.png

Yeah don't believe the language in the adverts for anything you shop for. 

Fact remains is that the people checking bags aren't trained to ID what's legit and not legit in terms of having the surge protection, so they err on the side of caution and anything that looks like a power strip will get you to the basement 🙂

Your results will vary since this involved a lot of human contact to determine what's in your luggage. I had about a dozen successful trips with my old power strip, and then on one cruise it got confiscated.

I now use a 'power strip' that has a detachable cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charging-GaNPrime-Detachable-Extension/dp/B09SG31NPT

It's not on sale right now,  but I place the cord in her flat iron bag, in her luggage. when the cord is detached, the rest of this just looks like one of those portable batteries, so I put it in my carryon backpack. So far so good.

10 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

We've used that on multiple cruise lines.  Just have it in your carryon with other chargers and cords.  No issues.  On Oasis class ships you'll be over the needed ports but ok on needed outlets.

Great tip, thank you.  Then if it gets questioned, my bags are in purgatory in the basement.

• Like 1

It seems that whether a device like the OP pictured will get on board or not depends on the "Rent a Cop" at the terminal, not by policy. 

So, the FAQ only says in the FAQ, "Electrical Extension Cords".  

By the looks of it, it appears to be a device that extends the capabilities or reach of the electrical outlet supplied and it does appear to have a cord.  It has a plug at one end, a receptacle at the other, and a cord in between.  I believe that meets the pure definition of an Electrical Extension Cord.   So, you be the judge and take a chance or not.  However, you will probably get it onboard.  

On 6/6/2023 at 8:53 AM, Fouremco said:

This power strip was designed with cruise ships in mind so it has no surge protection.

Screenshot2023-06-06at9_45_32AM.thumb.png.ac0244e6f89e8695843cb1bf104f032b.png

On other cruise lines it probably would be acceptable, but RCI's rules seem to exclude it:

Screenshot2023-06-06at9_50_43AM.thumb.png.5368d88c7e5939847b57897419917051.png

What site did you get that Q & A from?

For years I have used a similar device on cruises without an issue. However, starting several months ago I have had the same device confiscated multiple times at Port Miami and Port Canaveral. I ended up buying the plug shown in rockmom’s post and have not had any issues with it for 5 cruises now. 

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

What site did you get that Q & A from?

Royal Caribbean:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/questions/can-i-bring-an-extension-onboard?country=AUS

That's from RCI's Australian site. The US and several other sites' prohibited items lists simply state "Electrical Extension Cords":

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Royal Caribbean:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/questions/can-i-bring-an-extension-onboard?country=AUS

That's from RCI's Australian site. The US and several other sites' prohibited items lists simply state "Electrical Extension Cords":

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

That's what I thought.  It's from Australia.  For years now, I can't find an RCCL U.S. site that prohibits Surge Suppressors/Protectors.  I'm not arguing for or against it if it is a policy.  It's just that you, or at least I can't find it on a RCCL U.S. Site and wonder why.  Yes, I understand that electrical engineers will tell us it's because the electrical system on a ship is different than land-based electrical systems.  That's not the issue for me.  It's about RCCL U.S. not coming out and saying so, one way or the other. 

I have a funny feeling that the government of Australia requires by docking agreement or treaty, or contract, or whatever, that RCCL and others notify passengers that Surge Protectors are prohibited along with other things, of course.  

Not just Australia.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

It seems like the policy has changed over the years. The main concern has been fire hazards and it seems now they are more strict on cords in general. But a lot of what we need to plug in now are usb and a usb charging hub works for us 

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I have a funny feeling that the government of Australia requires by docking agreement or treaty, or contract, or whatever, that RCCL and others notify passengers that Surge Protectors are prohibited along with other things, of course.

Yes, there are definitely different rules at play for Australia. Consider Carnival's Australian vs US restrictions.

Australia:

• Multi-plug box outlets/power boards/adapters/extension cords are not permitted on board. However, should you require a multi-plug box outlet/power board/adapter/extension cord, please ask your Stateroom Steward who will be able to supply you one for the duration of your cruise.

https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/129/kw/prohibited items

Given the plethora of electronics requiring charging brought aboard by passengers, Carnival must have a large supply of these items if they intend to hand them out to everyone who requires them. 

US:

power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1202

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

It's about RCCL U.S. not coming out and saying so, one way or the other. 

Like you, I don't understand why RCCL hasn't addressed the issue as it makes no sense to remain silent. In the mean time, I'll continue to cruise with non-corded, non-surge-protected multi-plug extenders that plug directly into an outlet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roseoftx said:

Not just Australia.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

It seems like the policy has changed over the years. The main concern has been fire hazards and it seems now they are more strict on cords in general. But a lot of what we need to plug in now are usb and a usb charging hub works for us 

Yes, that is the U.S. Site and it doesn't mention a thing about Surge Protectors/Suppressers

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Like you, I don't understand why RCCL hasn't addressed the issue as it makes no sense to remain silent. In the mean time, I'll continue to cruise with non-corded, non-surge-protected multi-plug extenders that plug directly into an outlet.

Oh, Meeeeeeeee Toooooooo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

As stated above, no mention of Surge Protectors/Suppressors.  

but it does say NO Extension Cords... doesn't matter if it has a surge protector or not, they are prohibited 

• Like 1

Just now, LilBlackDress said:

but it does say NO Extension Cords... doesn't matter if it has a surge protector or not, they are prohibited 

There are other things that have surge protectors/suppressors that aren't technically "Extension Cords".  I have a few outlet blocks that have no cords whatsoever but they do say that they have surge suppression protection.  And some folks will tell you/me that Surge Suppressors/Protectors are a prohibited item, but not in this thread, yet.  According to the lack of specificity by RCCL U.S., they are allowed.  My whole, if you go back and read all my posts, discussion is about Surge Suppressors/Protectors, not about "Extension Cords". 

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

There are other things that have surge protectors/suppressors that aren't technically "Extension Cords".  I have a few outlet blocks that have no cords whatsoever but they do say that they have surge suppression protection.  And some folks will tell you/me that Surge Suppressors/Protectors are a prohibited item, but not in this thread, yet.  According to the lack of specificity by RCCL U.S., they are allowed.  My whole, if you go back and read all my posts, discussion is about Surge Suppressors/Protectors, not about "Extension Cords". 

Just to clarify a misstatement:  I said, "if you go back and read all my posts, discussion is about Surge Suppressors/Protectors".  I should have said, "if you go back to posts after post #10" or starting from post #14.

• 2 weeks later...