OLife moves to "all in"

WESTEAST

On 6/15/2023 at 12:00 PM, pinotlover said:

Everyone has two weeks to sign up for any O cruise available under the current T&Cs for cruises until mid 2024
<snip> Worry about 2025 later!

Wondering if there's something out there about this.  Some time ago, we booked an April 2025 Tokyo-Vancouver with OLife (shorex).

The phrase "until mid 2024" caught my eye.  Is there an end date for already-booked cruises with OLife?  As ours is not until 2025, will we be required to switch to simply MORE?  (Um, and of course, pay more.)

Linda

I just came across an article on the Travel Talk website at fvw dot de, which reports that SimplyMore will be part of the basic fare.  This is contrary to what I conjectured earlier, but consistent with 1985rz1's comment on my posting.  As described below it is not an additional package, but a widening of the Oceania inclusive concept.

For folk comfortable in German, here is an excerpt:

Oceania Cruises erweitert Vollpension-Konzept

Neben sämtlichen Mahlzeiten und den alkoholfreien Getränken sind vom Oktober an auch die alkoholischen Getränke beim Mittag- und Abendessen im Reisepreis enthalten. "Simply More" wird dann Standard, kein zusätzliches Paket.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As I often say here, NEVER use O Air, particularly for bizclass.

Hi FF,

Looking forward to our cruise..

The problem with your statement is some seniors cant or dont want to do it them selves and the comfort of having Oceania do it for them makes up for the difference in price..You and I are confident in what we do but I have found through the years people are different so we can never say never..

Jancruz1

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CoolChile said:

Wondering if there's something out there about this.  Some time ago, we booked an April 2025 Tokyo-Vancouver with OLife (shorex).

The phrase "until mid 2024" caught my eye.  Is there an end date for already-booked cruises with OLife?  As ours is not until 2025, will we be required to switch to simply MORE?  (Um, and of course, pay more.)

Linda

Can Oceania unilaterally change the terms of a contract with a passenger?

It would have been nice if they (O) announced all of it sooner and as "complete information", rather than having the information (or lack thereof) dribble out slowly, and possible not accurately.

There will without a doubt be some who are not happy about the new program, no matter what it turns out to be.  Why add any upset that turns out not to have been needed in the first place because of mixed messaging!?

IF this "is it or isn't it" is so O can figure out what is liked or especially disliked, shouldn't that have been part of the research/planning before any changes were actually decided?

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake person said:

As a first time Oceania cruiser(August 2023 cruise) made the mistake in booking OLife with Air. Just recieved the ticketing No direct flights and an extra charge of $998 for a stay over in the UK-needless to say we are cancelling the Air portion of the cruise--others experiances? (Note. Canadian cruiser)

Can you clarify the  extra charge ??

Did you book hotel package with O  or is it something else ?

What is your airport  you would fly from?

26 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Hi FF,

Looking forward to our cruise..

The problem with your statement is some seniors cant or dont want to do it them selves and the comfort of having Oceania do it for them makes up for the difference in price..You and I are confident in what we do but I have found through the years people are different so we can never say never..

Jancruz1

Surely, it seems easier to have O do it. But, the trade off is that, should something go wrong with air to/from the cruise, those who sought the O “convenience” are then stuck trying to connect with O for necessary changes while I’ve already called the airline direct (or immediately went to the customer services desk at the airport). I’m then on the next available plane in that airline’s consortium while they’re needing to go through an unnecessary third partner (if they can get through to them e.g., on a weekend, multiple time zones away.

If the squeamish would just take the time to use a tool like the ITA Matrix website search engine, they’d quickly know their options and could then just call their preferred airline and ask the rep to assist them in making the best choice and booking it for them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Surely, it seems easier to have O do it. But, the trade off is that, should something go wrong with air to/from the cruise, those who sought the O “convenience” are then stuck trying to connect with O for necessary changes while I’ve already called the airline direct (or immediately went to the customer services desk at the airport). I’m then on the next available plane in that airline’s consortium while they’re needing to go through an unnecessary third partner (if they can get through to them e.g., on a weekend, multiple time zones away.

If the squeamish would just take the time to use a tool like the ITA Matrix website search engine, they’d quickly know their options and could then just call their preferred airline and ask the rep to assist them in making the best choice and booking it for them. 

100% agree. The "convenience and piece of mind" of booking through the cruise line is an illusion. 

The only time we booked through the cruise line was our upcoming cruise on SS next May where they offered a flight to Venice and back from Rome for under $4k CAD. Booking myself would cost at least 25-30% more. 

4 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Our air to bcn is at least double than what O is charging us..also we are paying only 149 for prem econ...

Going 2 days early, in case of snags. So why would I pay more to do it myself?

Premium economy fares offered by O are excellent deals. Business are not.

Edited by ak1004

45 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

It would have been nice if they (O) announced all of it sooner and as "complete information", rather than having the information (or lack thereof) dribble out slowly, and possible not accurately.

There will without a doubt be some who are not happy about the new program, no matter what it turns out to be.  Why add any upset that turns out not to have been needed in the first place because of mixed messaging!?

IF this "is it or isn't it" is so O can figure out what is liked or especially disliked, shouldn't that have been part of the research/planning before any changes were actually decided?

GC

I dont think that O is using these few weeks for feedback, ability to change.  It is my understanding that they just let some of their special TA  's know the gist of it and that it is coming so they could be prepared for the rollout on 7/1.  Of course many here are connected but I would guess the general public has no idea at this point.  Of course I may be incorrect.

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

If you read the Ticket Contract and T&Cs, you’ll find that the verbiage allows them to make all sorts of changes, exclusions, etc. And, by purchasing the cruise, you have agreed to them.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

ITA Matrix ...someone in their late 80s 0r 90s probably think thats a new kind of Mattress..

Unless you are that age you dont understand that everything is harder and they take the easy way

Its a matter of having to..not even wanting to..I dont want to say you will see..BUT you will see..

LOL

Jancruz1

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

ITA Matrix ...someone in their late 80s 0r 90s probably think thats a new kind of Mattress..

Unless you are that age you dont understand that everything is harder and they take the easy way

Its a matter of having to..not even wanting to..I dont want to say you will see..BUT you will see..

LOL

Jancruz1

When I hit my 80’s, all will be fine. I’ll just keep relying on my rugged good looks and engaging personality. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

100% agree. The "convenience and piece of mind" of booking through the cruise line is an illusion. 

While this statement is correct, the financial benefits of booking through the cruise line vary greatly depending on the routing, departure and arrival airports, flights availability, fare class etc. One thing is flying from East coast to Europe and another from Midwest to Asia or Far East. 

Always a good idea to compare prices of DIY versus the cruise line offerings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoolChile said:

Linda

I have no idea but am wondering as well.  We are booked Japan for 2025 Tokyo-Tokyo. 

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

All of the details are going to be disclosed on July 1. Too much guessing without facts folks. 😢

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

All of the details are going to be disclosed on July 1. Too much guessing without facts folks. 😢

Some people find speculation fun while others find it nerve racking. Those in the latter camp should probably unfollow this and similar topics. Let us have out fun since we don't win O points for guessing correctly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Some people find speculation fun while others find it nerve racking. Those in the latter camp should probably unfollow this and similar topics. Let us have out fun since we don't win O points for guessing correctly.

Damn, I was really counting on those O points. Why else would I follow a 20 page thread? Something mental... Oh, well.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Well said. I'm sorry 😎

2 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Well said. I'm sorry 😎

No need to apologize. I'm too analytical for my own good and often forget that things I find interesting may cause others to freak out, so it is good to be nudged into the don't-freak-people out language once in a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Can you clarify the  extra charge ??

Did you book hotel package with O  or is it something else ?

What is your airport  you would fly from?

Extra charge was for the airfare as a result of the stay over---we fly out of Toronto

31 minutes ago, lake person said:

Extra charge was for the airfare as a result of the stay over---we fly out of Toronto

You need to provide more information if you want us to understand the full picture.  Did you request a flight deviation.  If one doesn't take the standard flights that O has contracted, one pays the difference.

Edited by 1985rz1

5 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

You need to provide more information if you want us to understand the full picture.  Did you request a flight deviation.  If one doesn't take the standard flights that O has contracted, one pays the difference.

I thought they were allowing people to fly in up to 3 days prior with no charge  ? unless you want to choose the flights

But yes I agree  not enough info