Live from Viking Saturn June 7-21 NYC-Canada-Greenland-Iceland

CCWineLover

Cold and windy but quite interesting tour to Vigur Island just now.  Not many puffins but lots of ida ducks and of course, the arctic turns, who, we learned, return every year from Antarctica on exactly May 10!  Who knew.  Simply amazing.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Clay -

this picture of you and Mike truly inspired us!  We hop to try several other hot dogs on the rest of our circumnavigation and back in Reykjavik!

Try other things too!  The best meal we had (other than hot dogs) was probably at the truck stop/filling station near Vik.  I was appalled at paying $22 pp for lunch at a truck stop but boy was the lamb shank and scalloped potatoes lunch good!

IMG_6214.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Cold and windy but quite interesting tour to Vigur Island just now.  Not many puffins but lots of ida ducks and of course, the arctic turns, who, we learned, return every year from Antarctica on exactly May 10!  Who knew.  Simply amazing.  

Not many puffins because it’s too early?  If we don’t see puffins, I’m gonna have some disappointed cruise mates to deal with for the following 13 days. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

Yes, we’ve booked Grayline’s Golden Circle Tour the day we board our cruise in September - (we arrive day before) and booked it following your recommendation. It costs less than half the price of Viking.  They will pick us up from our hotel & I’ve been advised that they will drop us at the cruise terminal after tour 🤞

Thanks for the information! I’ll check them out.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

the arctic terns, who, we learned, return every year from Antarctica on exactly May 10!  Who knew.  Simply amazing.  

1 hour ago, Packman1000 said:

I wonder if leap year messes up there flight plan?😆

I love how there is always someone taking the time to ponder life's deepest questions. I also like how there is always some smart-alec with an answer.

Leap year is not a problem. They take an extra day in the Canaries on the way north.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Could you please share where you read this?

The effect on the Farne Islands
Cliff-nesting birds appear to have been the most heavily impacted by the bird flu outbreak, as they nest close to one another,with guillemots, kittiwakes and young puffins, known as pufflings, also among those recovered.Apr 24, 2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same applies to St Kilda, Bass Rock and other seabird nesting sights in Scotland last year was devastating it will take ten years to recover they reckon. They will be restricted access only for humans to help the recovery- disappointed for anyone for whom seeing birds on their habitat is they key reason to travel I hope they recognise the great contribution they will take to the species long term by not going. 

In Reykjavik there’s a fantastic virtual reality museum which includes a puffin experience I’m going to head for that 

• Like 2

@CCWineLover

Thanks for all this wonderful information I’m wondering would you be able to tell us which chef’s tables are being used (do not need the menus) and which one was on the night of Halifax. 
Someone has a birthday that day on our cruise and I’m trying to decide chef’s table vs Manfredi and I can book next week (appreciate it might change!)

Thanks a lot 

4 hours ago, uktog said:

I’m wondering would you be able to tell us which chef’s tables are being used (do not need the menus) and which one was on the night of Halifax. 

Even having that information is no guarantee of what will be served on your sailing.

Chef's Table menus are on their own schedule and the menu changes every three days without regard to the start date of each new cruise. What was served in Halifax on one cruise is not a predictor of what will be served in Halifax on future cruises. Even knowing what menus were served on the last sailing is not a predictor of what will be served on the next sailing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Even having that information is no guarantee of what will be served on your sailing.

Chef's Table menus are on their own schedule and the menu changes every three days without regard to the start date of each new cruise. What was served in Halifax on one cruise is not a predictor of what will be served in Halifax on future cruises. Even knowing what menus were served on the last sailing is not a predictor of what will be served on the next sailing.

Thanks however I would still like to know the menu rotation 

6 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thanks however I would still like to know the menu rotation 

What peregrina said.  3 day rotation and no guarantee on which menus will appear on any given ship or in what order.  Wait until you board and go to the desk to inquire specifically.

• Like 1

Just now, PRH said:

What peregrina said.  3 day rotation and no guarantee on which menus will appear on any given ship or in what order.  Wait until you board and go to the desk to inquire specifically.

It’s too late then 

I would still like to hear what the current chefs tables are. It maybe due allergies none will work. We’ve discussed these menus potential adaptations with Viking before so we know what can be adapted/ some can some can’t. We should have up to 5 menus on this cruise. Really hope they’re not all our problem ones! 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

It’s too late then 

I would still like to hear what the current chefs tables are. It maybe due allergies none will work. We’ve discussed these menus potential adaptations with Viking before so we know what can be adapted/ some can some can’t. We should have up to 5 menus on this cruise. Really hope they’re not all our problem ones! 

Okay, you said the magic word: allergies.  

Why not email the ship's executive chef? It's a special occasion. Allergies are involved. Your menu choices are limited. You know exactly what date you are looking for.  

What you need from this thread is his name and the ship's email address.

• Like 2

Still need to make it ashore in Seydisfjordur.  Looked at including it on our recent southern coast roadtrip but it was just too far east. #nexttime

If you get a chance can you find out who will be the CD in July?  Have heard so much about Ms. Brown so hoping she is still there but afeared she is likely to not be. Also, who is the restaurant manager?