Sisters Sailing Scenic Scandinavia June 12-22 Live report

Azulann

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Azulann was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Background
My sister and I  booked this cruise over a year ago.

She and I did two Viking Welcome back cruises during the pandemic. Sailed Orion around Bermuda and Malta to Barcelona on  the Venus in 2021. Both cruises were wonderful vacations during some trying times. 

Now so excited  to do  the unique Scenic Scandinavia cruise. 
I jumped at the chance to overnight in Copenhagen and also do the post extension  plus two other  Danish ports :  Sweden , Poland, Germany and Denmark are all new countries and ports for us. 
Best of all we will be visiting the “land of our people” as I have been telling anyone who will listen.

Our mother was a 100% Danish and going to see the  land of our ancestors for the first time.  🇩🇰

Preparation: 
I  do lots of research for my land trips and cruises over the years. 
Love the” Resources “link Viking provides for all their itineraries on their web site. 
For this one, I have read two  new books on the Vikings, cultural history of  Northern Europe and attended event  with  Swedish archeologists and the author of” Bones of Birka”  at the Swedish American Institute in MPLS MN last month.

Sister booked our own flights on Delta  and KLM for this cruise.

As I get older ,international flying has become a chore. So easy to drive 10 minutes to MSP for our evening  flight to AMS and at the end of our trip , just pick up our bags at the airport and I will be home in a blink of an eye.
 My sister also booked  the NOFO Hotel through Delta Vacations on Sodermalm in Stockholm. 
Will have two whole days to explore before we set foot on  the Viking Jupiter on June 12, the pier  just a stone's throw from our hotel.

Travel Day 1🛫
My sister  arrived from Nashville a few days ago.
We fly MSP to AMS this evening. 
Together we have three pieces of luggage to check which includes one shared suitcase with clothes for our 3 nights in Stockholm,

plus a backpack for her and a  small carryon for me. 
 I am in awe of travelers who can cruise with only a carry-on!

• Like 11

Let’s go! We’re excited to take this voyage also and look forward to following your posts. Packing is in the final stages so we’ll be ready for our 2:00 am alarm in the morning to take an early flight out of Asheville to begin our air travel to Stockholm.
Wishing safe travels for all!

• Like 2

We're packing frantically too, everything but the kitchen sink 😱 I too am in complete wonderment at those folk who can just take carry-ons. C is worse than me and that's saying something!

We'll be with you both Saturday!! 🥳 Safe journeys!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Looking forward to hearing your adventures!  Let me know if you want a packing list😂

Clay - I'd be interested in your packing list. My email is kris.davis0223@gmail.com.

Thanks,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

Background
My sister and I  booked this cruise over a year ago.

She and I did two Viking Welcome back cruises during the pandemic. Sailed Orion around Bermuda and Malta to Barcelona on  the Venus in 2021. Both cruises were wonderful vacations during some trying times. 

Now so excited  to do  the unique Scenic Scandinavia cruise. 
I jumped at the chance to overnight in Copenhagen and also do the post extension  plus two other  Danish ports :  Sweden , Poland, Germany and Denmark are all new countries and ports for us. 
Best of all we will be visiting the “land of our people” as I have been telling anyone who will listen.

Our mother was a 100% Danish and going to see the  land of our ancestors for the first time.  🇩🇰

Preparation: 
I  do lots of research for my land trips and cruises over the years. 
Love the” Resources “link Viking provides for all their itineraries on their web site. 
For this one, I have read two  new books on the Vikings, cultural history of  Northern Europe and attended event  with  Swedish archeologists and the author of” Bones of Birka”  at the Swedish American Institute in MPLS MN last month.

Sister booked our own flights on Delta  and KLM for this cruise.

As I get older ,international flying has become a chore. So easy to drive 10 minutes to MSP for our evening  flight to AMS and at the end of our trip , just pick up our bags at the airport and I will be home in a blink of an eye.
 My sister also booked  the NOFO Hotel through Delta Vacations on Sodermalm in Stockholm. 
Will have two whole days to explore before we set foot on  the Viking Jupiter on June 12, the pier  just a stone's throw from our hotel.

Travel Day 1🛫
My sister  arrived from Nashville a few days ago.
We fly MSP to AMS this evening. 
Together we have three pieces of luggage to check which includes one shared suitcase with clothes for our 3 nights in Stockholm,

plus a backpack for her and a  small carryon for me. 
 I am in awe of travelers who can cruise with only a carry-on!

Hello to a fellow Dane! My mother was 50% Danish. Danes rock!

• Like 1

🙋‍♀️Hi Azulann!

I lovelovelove that you are traveling with your sister.  My sister is my best friend and I feel so blessed about that.  I am looking forward to your cruise reports.. wishing you the best time ever!!🥰

• Like 1

Travel Day 2

Flight was smooth, food recognizable, economy seats still small. 
Going through passport control at Amsterdam airport was 12 minutes  at 11:40 on a Friday morning. Sitting in KLM Lounge and drinking ice water.

when we landed, I opened my window shade and saw this

It is a good sign for the days ahead . 😍

Arrive in Stockholm about 4:45pm . 

image.thumb.jpeg.b9bcd4897e1b32260e4880ba65ba06da.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b9bcd4897e1b32260e4880ba65ba06da.jpeg

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 11
  • Haha 7

52 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Travel Day 2

Flight was smooth, food recognizable, economy seats still small. 
Going through passport control at Amsterdam airport was 12 minutes  at 11:40 on a Friday morning. Sitting in KLM Lounge and drinking ice water.

when we landed, I opened my window shade and saw this

It is a good sign for the days ahead . 😍

Arrive in Stockholm about 4:45pm . 

image.thumb.jpeg.b9bcd4897e1b32260e4880ba65ba06da.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b9bcd4897e1b32260e4880ba65ba06da.jpeg

That sign is awesome.  Serendipity.

• Like 7

Azulann:  I remember meeting you on the Aquavit Terrace on the Malta cruise.  We were the extended family of 9 (several mid 20 kids with us) and enjoyed our conversation.  We've been on the British Isles and Rhine since then, and have a few more cruises booked. I'm glad you are heading across the pond again!  Will enjoy following your travels!  Judy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Famsw said:

Azulann:  I remember meeting you on the Aquavit Terrace on the Malta cruise.  We were the extended family of 9 (several mid 20 kids with us) and enjoyed our conversation.  We've been on the British Isles and Rhine since then, and have a few more cruises booked. I'm glad you are heading across the pond again!  Will enjoy following your travels!  Judy

Judy, yes, I remember you and your extended family on the Malta cruise. 😀Had fun with you  on the infinity pool deck on  the sunny sea days.Glad you  found others cruises to book!

Day I , Pre-cruise  Stockholm, Sweden.

The magic continues...

As we board the KLM flight... 

Flight attendant : "Welcome abroad  our flight to Stockholm"

I say: "Thank you so very much."

Flight attendant smiling, 'Are you going home?"

I say, "NO I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO STOCKHOLM OR SWEDEN."

She says: You are visiting at the best time, June.

OK , I was mistaken for a Swede!!!!!!🤩

2. We had brief conversation with  woman from Stockholm as we wait at he gate.  At  the  baggage carousal ,she  offers us a ride to our hotel! They live nearby and  husband has a big car!

So we accept and have a wonderful mini tour of  parts of Sodermalm, learn  about their family in USA , and another  offer to visit them at  summer place in Dalarna region.  

We have been adopted by this Swedish couple ! 

We exchanged  phone and email and she takes a selfie of us which she is emailing to us.

My sister say to NOFO hotel clerk,

I  LOVE SWEDEN! 🇸🇪

Mistaken for a Swede and adopted by a lovely Swedish couple  was the awesome introduction to Stockholm  to  Sisters Sailing Scenic Scandinavia. 🎉 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Day 2 Precruise Stockholm

Sunny  day in the mid 60’s . Can driver this morning said they have not had rain for weeks. 
we are in Old Town today . 
Nobel Pride museum is small one floor , and even without a English guide (12:45am) or audios which you download on your phone with a QR code, it is easy to read the various signage both on Swedish and English . Highly recommend the cafe and the Nobel ice cream .each chair in cafe was used by a Nobel Pruze winner. See the tag on chair 🪑 

• Like 5

Looking at  picture of Jungle Story by Kipling, winner of the first Nobel prize for literature . Young man next to me said, he was born in the area of  where Kipling  placed his story. 

IMG_0500.jpeg

• Like 1