Currently on the Equinox and this new Starlink Wi-Fi internet is amazing!!

terrydtx

We have the premium new Starlink Wi-Fi internet on the Equinox. and it is so much better than the old system. The premium level loads fast and we have been able to make crystal clear voice and video calls over our Samsung phones. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lostchild said:

From the reports here, I read that Starlink used to about 105Mbps when it was first introduced to Celebrity ships last year, but now they have capped it to like 5Mbps.

The Beyond was like that and therefore much faster speeds than most have at home

We disembarked from the Equinox a few days ago, and yes, the WiFi with the Premier plan is pretty good. I can confirm the ~4.5Mps number as well. One thing I found particularly good, relative to other ship WiFi systems I've used, is how "consistent" it was day to day regardless of passenger load.. Our trip was to the ABC Islands, so 2 sea days there and back. Typically, on other systems I've used, on a sea day with the ship crowded with passengers, MANY using WiFi, the performance would degrade noticeably. Not so on the Equinox last week. Even mid-day on a sea day, the download speeds were still a pretty consistent 4.5.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is good to know! Bringing my laptop as I might have to do a few work things during our June 24 ABC sailing. And that includes potential WebEx video calls. This brings me a bit of peace knowing I won't have to stress too much about being able to connect if needed. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:24 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Salt in the wounds, still have a monopoly, 300 is the fastest offered and it’s quite expensive 

Even so 300 Mbps is better than 5.  I am sure that it is much less than cruise WIFI?

Edited by NMTraveller

OK.  One more question.

For all of you Starlink users,  why not take the equipment with you and put it on your balcony?  You would get better than 5 Mbps,  have access to the full bandwith,  and the cost per month would be much less than the cruise WIFI pricing.  

Asking for a friend 🙂 🙂🙂 🙂 

For all of the business users that require high bandwidth why not?

I suppose that the dish has to be pointed in a certain direction and you must choose the port or starboard side on the ship?  Not adequate satellite positioning?

Edited by NMTraveller

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  One more question.

For all of you Starlink users,  why not take the equipment with you and put it on your balcony?  You would get better than 5 Mbps,  have access to the full bandwith,  and the cost per month would be much less than the cruise WIFI pricing.  

Asking for a friend 🙂 🙂🙂 🙂 

For all of the business users that require high bandwidth why not?

I suppose that the dish has to be pointed in a certain direction and you must choose the port or starboard side on the ship?  Not adequate satellite positioning?

First we smuggle our own alcohol, now our own internet, what’s next?

• Like 3