When do we apply for Nexus renewal?

Barwick Cruiser

11 minutes ago, isnowman said:

Starting to get a little nervous. Back on October 12th both my wife and myself received notice that our NEXUS renewal was approved with no interview required. Unfortunately we have not received our renewal cards in the mail, now into our 10th week. Trying to get in touch with someone in the U.S. will be next to impossible, my only option would be to apply for a lost card, and pay the $25 fee. Has anyone who received their new card waited this long for it to be delivered, appreciate any information.

Merry Christmas to all....

I may be wrong, but you must 'activate' your new cards when you receive them, and to the best of my knowledge the existing cards you have are valid until you receive and activate the new ones.

I personally don't think that you have anything to worry about....

Other thoughts from others that have experienced the same?

17 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I may be wrong, but you must 'activate' your new cards when you receive them, and to the best of my knowledge the existing cards you have are valid until you receive and activate the new ones.

Thanks for your reply. This is our second renewal, I did notice that they state due to the high volume of applicants the existing cards would still be valid past the expiry date. I'll be sure to activate the new cards once they arrive.

We received approval notice about the same time as you, maybe a week later and are still waiting for our new cards as well. We travel in early January but it is reassuring that the old cards will still be valid if we haven’t received the new ones by then. I’ll post back here if/when we get them. 
Cathy

I just went through US customs in Toronto on Dec 1 with my Nexus card for the first time in 3 years. I was surprised that when I stepped up to the Nexus machine, they just snapped a picture and that was it. Spoke to a customs agent for a minute and exited the area. Once I went through the exit, I noticed a lot of people sitting in an area waiting for the Nexus interview. I would think you would need a lot of lead time to have the interview and get to your gate.

17 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I just went through US customs in Toronto on Dec 1 with my Nexus card for the first time in 3 years. I was surprised that when I stepped up to the Nexus machine, they just snapped a picture and that was it. Spoke to a customs agent for a minute and exited the area. Once I went through the exit, I noticed a lot of people sitting in an area waiting for the Nexus interview. I would think you would need a lot of lead time to have the interview and get to your gate.

Yes, I think because this interview is not scheduled, you will be subject to how many people are doing the same thing as you that day, and that is something you won't know until you arrive at the interview point.

20 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We received approval notice about the same time as you, maybe a week later and are still waiting for our new cards as well. We travel in early January but it is reassuring that the old cards will still be valid if we haven’t received the new ones by then. I’ll post back here if/when we get them. 
Cathy

Thanks Cathy, I'll let you know if ours arrive.

Merry Christmas,

Kurt

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 10:38 AM, Barwick Cruiser said:

Cathy

After close to 14 weeks and still no cards I decided to do a little research. Seems that if your NEXUS site dashboard does not have a button for you to activate your new card it's because your new card has not been processed. I called 1-877-227-5511 ( U.S. Customs ) and spoke to an agent ( on hold for :50 minutes ). They confirmed my new card had not been processed and escalated my file to get a card mailed. Apparently this can take another 4 to 5 weeks. Hopefully this helps..

Kurt

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:34 AM, isnowman said:

After close to 14 weeks and still no cards I decided to do a little research. Seems that if your NEXUS site dashboard does not have a button for you to activate your new card it's because your new card has not been processed. I called 1-877-227-5511 ( U.S. Customs ) and spoke to an agent ( on hold for :50 minutes ). They confirmed my new card had not been processed and escalated my file to get a card mailed. Apparently this can take another 4 to 5 weeks. Hopefully this helps..

Kurt

Good info, thx for updating. We’re currently in NZ on holiday with family. Used our expired nexus cards in YYZ to bypass the long security line and no one batted an eye. It’s true that they’re still accepting the expired cards. Hopefully our new cards are waiting for us when we get home later Feb 🤞, if not, I’ll try calling as you did. Next trip isn’t until May. 
Cathy

2 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Good info, thx for updating. We’re currently in NZ on holiday with family. Used our expired nexus cards in YYZ to bypass the long security line and no one batted an eye. It’s true that they’re still accepting the expired cards. Hopefully our new cards are waiting for us when we get home later Feb 🤞, if not, I’ll try calling as you did. Next trip isn’t until May. 
Cathy

Enjoy your holiday, I'll let you know if/when our cards arrive.

Kurt

• Thanks 1

Quick note from me:

My NEXUS expires at the end of the year. Did my renewal application last week (basically the day after I got back from my cruise). That was the easy part, obviously. I'll post again when I get a status update.

Edited by starvenger
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 7:49 AM, CDNPolar said:

I personally don't think that you have anything to worry about....

Other thoughts from others that have experienced the same?

We are flying out of YYZ to FLL on Feb 24. My card expires on Feb 10 and although we have renewed on line and the Nexus renewal cost shows up on my Visa we have received no information. Two questions: Will we be able to use the Nexus line in YYZ and will Air Canada recognize the expired card and provide us with "TSA approved" on our boarding passes in YYZ and on return at FLL? Anyone experienced this?

6 hours ago, smithmlmx said:

We are flying out of YYZ to FLL on Feb 24. My card expires on Feb 10 and although we have renewed on line and the Nexus renewal cost shows up on my Visa we have received no information. Two questions: Will we be able to use the Nexus line in YYZ and will Air Canada recognize the expired card and provide us with "TSA approved" on our boarding passes in YYZ and on return at FLL? Anyone experienced this?

I believe that if you log into your Nexus account it will show renewal pending.  It should also tell you that your current card is valid - with all privileges - during the renewal period. 

As long as you have started the process your current card will work as it always has.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I believe that if you log into your Nexus account it will show renewal pending.  It should also tell you that your current card is valid - with all privileges - during the renewal period. 

As long as you have started the process your current card will work as it always has.

I would also take a picture of that screen or print out a screenshot. 

• Like 1

US preclearance location within a Canadian airport

This is my first time to apply Nexus card, I finished my first step of interview at Edmonton airport. My second step is to do the interview at US preclearance location within a Canadian airport.

If I fly from Edmonton, connect to Quebec (same day), then fly to New York (same day); do I do my second interview (US preclearance location) at Quebec, not Edmonton? 

Thanks!

14 hours ago, HSBC said:

This is my first time to apply Nexus card, I finished my first step of interview at Edmonton airport. My second step is to do the interview at US preclearance location within a Canadian airport.

If I fly from Edmonton, connect to Quebec (same day), then fly to New York (same day); do I do my second interview (US preclearance location) at Quebec, not Edmonton? 

Thanks!

You would have to do US interview in Quebec as it has to be going to a US location but check & make sure they do it there.  

• Thanks 1

My DH had to do a US interview for his Nexus renewal.  We flew to FLL on Jan 13 @6:15 am flight, it appears that the Nexus lane & others open-a little earlier than it says as we went through at 4am & he was waiting for his interview by 4:15 am unfortunately there were 5 people ahead of him.  The US CBP did not open until 4:30 or whoever they saunter out.  Anyway to make a long story short 4 people decided they couldn’t wait any longer & they took him & the first guy together to the interview room, he was done in about 20 min., he got to the gate about 5:20, 10 min before boarding.  If everyone had stayed he wouldn’t have had time for the interview.   So give yourself lots of time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HSBC said:

Thanks!

Since you've already done the 1st interview the second needs to be done at the airport and can no longer be done at a land border crossing.

As previous poster said you will have to do it in Quebec after going through US customs as you will not clear US customs in Edmonton. It is no guarantee you will be able to get it done. You need to make sure you have a long enough layover to allow the interview of your entire party. You'll have no idea how many others are waiting and how fast they will move. 

We ended up biting the bullet and driving 8+hrs to the border for our interview rather than trying to do it at the airport. We had originally planned to do both interviews on the same trip with a layover and booked a flight with a 3+hr layover. A few months after we booked, our flights were changed and we had a 60 minute layover so we are glad we had already went the land border route.

If it doesn't work out this time the best bet is a direct flight to the US as it eliminates the layover issue as you can arrive early to your flight and get it done. Book the cheapest round trip flight you can find and eat the cost. Going somewhere like Seattle from Edmonton you could probably do it all in one day. Or since it is a sunk cost anyway just no show, or book flex tickets and get a travel credit. Its an expense and there is still risk with that but trying to schedule around layovers could be a lot more difficult.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 2:34 PM, isnowman said:

Kurt

Although we are currently out of the country, I have been informed by a family member that the new cards have arrived. It looks like it took 3 weeks from when we called the above number to when they arrived, a total of 18 weeks from when we had been initially approved for our renewal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I missed renewing my NEXUS card on time, and I renewed it a couple of months after it had expired.

Anyone else have experience of how long I am looking at to get my new card, and will I need to do an interview?

Thanks in adavnce!

13 hours ago, Greg8 said:

I missed renewing my NEXUS card on time, and I renewed it a couple of months after it had expired.

Anyone else have experience of how long I am looking at to get my new card, and will I need to do an interview?

Thanks in adavnce!

Check online.  If you have started the renewal process, it should at least tell you that your existing card is valid until the new card is issued.

For interview or no interview, that is roulette.

My husband and I have our Nexus cards, passports and China entry Visas all aligned so they expire/renew at the same time.  

When we did our Nexus renewal just prior to the pandemic, his was approved online and card promptly sent with no interview.

Mine indicated an interview, I booked it, and with Covid all the centres closed to in-person and the interview was cancelled.  

When everything opened again, (more than two years) I had to do both the Canadian and US interviews.

19 hours ago, Greg8 said:

Thanks in adavnce!

For my DH it took 4 months to get notice that he had to have an interview. Then 2 months to get CDN interview & US is first come first served at the airport.   Not sure but the rules may be a little bit different if your card has already expired.

Edited by If only

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Check online.  If you have started the renewal process, it should at least tell you that your existing card is valid until the new card is issued.

For interview or no interview, that is roulette.

My husband and I have our Nexus cards, passports and China entry Visas all aligned so they expire/renew at the same time.  

When we did our Nexus renewal just prior to the pandemic, his was approved online and card promptly sent with no interview.

Mine indicated an interview, I booked it, and with Covid all the centres closed to in-person and the interview was cancelled.  

When everything opened again, (more than two years) I had to do both the Canadian and US interviews.

Unforunetly its shows my currect membership as Expired with a Red header and it then shows my Renewal as Pending with a Brown header

1 hour ago, Greg8 said:

Unforunetly its shows my currect membership as Expired with a Red header and it then shows my Renewal as Pending with a Brown header

Hmmmm... I guess that I applied before actual expiry so mine was honoured during renewal process.

Perhaps someone else knows?

If in this case the card HAS expired, is the expired card invalid and you have to wait until the new one is issued?