Cannot get in touch in Travel Agent. Carnival won't allow me to make changes without TA.

ohshin

5 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

People sure love to bash travel agents on social media. I bet for for each bad experience, there are at minimum 5 success stories when agents stay on the phone for hours fixing stuff, getting the exact cabins you want next to each other, offer extra amenities, etc. But we don't get to hear those.

My PVP can do basically anything a TA can, and I can still call Carnival directly if need be.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

so your pvp can rebate parts of their commission? I didn't think PVP's got commission ,just some kind of points?

They do not, but I would rather have direct and immediate access to Carnival than a few dollars of commission rebate. But everyone gets to do what works for them. 🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TreyB said:

Yes that’s correct, the big third party booking agents. I still would never use a TA, just because I like being 💯 in control of my own travel arrangements. Just my personal choice. 

Got it, I misunderstood.  Choices are up to the consumer, we all make them in some way or another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

They do not, but I would rather have direct and immediate access to Carnival than a few dollars of commission rebate. But everyone gets to do what works for them. 🙂

That is true about everybody does what works for them. Was just curious about your statement earlier.

Thank you for clearing that up.🙂

12 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

People sure love to bash travel agents on social media. I bet for for each bad experience, there are at minimum 5 success stories when agents stay on the phone for hours fixing stuff, getting the exact cabins you want next to each other, offer extra amenities, etc. But we don't get to hear those.

The simple facts are that Travel Agents know more than 99% of people that book on their own in may ways.  Their expertise is almost always free and as you mention, often offer perks.  

• Like 1

"Good" TA's are far and few between in my opinion. To many, it's just another job to have resources to feed the family and pay the bills. They run all sorts of scams such as booking you into a "group" that you didn't know you're a part of so they can receive conductor credits, to not booking people on their cruise line of choice but rather guiding you to "their" cruise line of choice, to ensuring the clients safety and selling them on worthless travel insurance that they get a very nice commission on, but they themselves know nothing about.

6 hours ago, klfrodo said:

"Good" TA's are far and few between in my opinion. To many, it's just another job to have resources to feed the family and pay the bills. They run all sorts of scams such as booking you into a "group" that you didn't know you're a part of so they can receive conductor credits, to not booking people on their cruise line of choice but rather guiding you to "their" cruise line of choice, to ensuring the clients safety and selling them on worthless travel insurance that they get a very nice commission on, but they themselves know nothing about.

Well that is an opinion , lacking in facts, but what the heck.  Tell me about this very nice commission, how much is it for say a Carnival cruise for two?  Tell me the facts that support worthless commission. Tell me about the scams.  Love to hear about it.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well that is an opinion , lacking in facts, but what the heck.  Tell me about this very nice commission, how much is it for say a Carnival cruise for two?  Tell me the facts that support worthless commission. Tell me about the scams.  Love to hear about it.

With 35,700 posts under your belt which is probably on the low side if you were part of the AOL Chat Room, then I know you've been around and read the horror stories that many clients have experienced. Very few TA's know what is and more importantly what is NOT covered in the insurance they sell. Very few inform their clients that $20K in medical is probably way too low and is secondary on top of that. Very few will assist a client in filing their claim even though they sold the policy and accepted the commission. (Quite an upcharge all in the name of the client's protection? Yea, right)

My very first cruise years ago we were sold a package. Didn't know we were part of a group package until after we were on the ship a few days.

But please, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

With 35,700 posts under your belt which is probably on the low side if you were part of the AOL Chat Room, then I know you've been around and read the horror stories that many clients have experienced. Very few TA's know what is and more importantly what is NOT covered in the insurance they sell. Very few inform their clients that $20K in medical is probably way too low and is secondary on top of that. Very few will assist a client in filing their claim even though they sold the policy and accepted the commission. (Quite an upcharge all in the name of the client's protection? Yea, right)

My very first cruise years ago we were sold a package. Didn't know we were part of a group package until after we were on the ship a few days.

1. I know I have bought travel insurance through my TA and it was the exact same price as I found online.

2. The one time we had to make a small claim, our TA did assist us.

3. What is the bid deal that a TA has reserved cabins and sells them at a group rate? I know our TA has done that and it has got us a better price and have had no idea who else is in "the group".

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

1. I know I have bought travel insurance through my TA and it was the exact same price as I found online.

2. The one time we had to make a small claim, our TA did assist us.

3. What is the bid deal that a TA has reserved cabins and sells them at a group rate? I know our TA has done that and it has got us a better price and have had no idea who else is in "the group".

You missed the part where I previously started my posts (#38) saying "Good" TA's are far and few between. There are some great TA's, however, there are more mediocre ones than good ones.

Regarding #3 

Nothing wrong with reserving a block of cabins and selling at a reduced rate. As long as there is full disclosure that the client is part of a group package and that they are eligible for certain amenity's for being a part of the group. Plus given the option of opting out of that group for a slightly higher price.

This thread has sure taken a turn!  While I am more interested in whether the OP was able to get in touch with her TA.   I have to say that we have enjoyed booking through a TA.  She works for a large company, and the perks (discounts and tons of OBC) that we have received far outweigh any difficulties we might have had communicating.  Now, having said that, we have had to wait a weekend, or maybe a day or two before hearing back when communicating by email.  We always receive a reply when she is out of the office.  Sometimes, our email is directed to another agent that can help on the spot.

What is wrong with taking a reduction in price by being part of a group package rate? 

• Like 2

The issue the OP is having is that their TA is not communicating back to them. Which is a valid complaint to me. 

it has nothing to do with

-whether a TA is good or bad. 

- whether a TA can give OBC

- whether they know more or less than a PVP

- whether they know about insurance. 
- it any other tangent that this post went to. 

they just didn’t realize that carnival can’t talk to them about their reservation and asked for guidance if there is any way around that. 
Im sure many people had no idea that’s how it goes. 

so OP, ignoring all the tangents, try to figure out how to go up the chain of command at your specific travel agency. Whether you want to fire them is up to you. 

I hope you get done  what needs to be done and have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

This thread has sure taken a turn!  While I am more interested in whether the OP was able to get in touch with her TA.   I have to say that we have enjoyed booking through a TA.  She works for a large company, and the perks (discounts and tons of OBC) that we have received far outweigh any difficulties we might have had communicating.  Now, having said that, we have had to wait a weekend, or maybe a day or two before hearing back when communicating by email.  We always receive a reply when she is out of the office.  Sometimes, our email is directed to another agent that can help on the spot.

What is wrong with taking a reduction in price by being part of a group package rate? 

Yes, what could possibly be wrong with getting a price reduction for being part of a group package? And I for one have never found any restriction because my TA was able to book as a group package. And I know he has done this.

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

OK, you are wrong.  This is what they do.  To think the average cruiser knows more that the majority of TA’s is simply an absurd notion.  Most TA’s know the difference between cruise insurance and that sold on the market, pre existing conditions and coverages.  FACT.  Your obviously jaundiced view of insurance ensures your biased view.  There are literally hundreds of threads here where people did not have insurance and looking for outside the box remedies.  The most common thing people fail to consider in insurance is that it is so much more than the cruise price.  Another claim you make is that TA’s should fill out the claim which is again….wrong.  The claim forms are SPECIFICALLY for the client to fill out.  Why would they not assist when asked for assistance?    The commission on an insurance policy is very small, and so it is for the cruise, but you did not reply to that.  I can go on but think i made my points. 

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

OK, you are wrong.  This is what they do.  To think the average cruiser knows more that the majority of TA’s is simply an absurd notion.  Most TA’s know the difference between cruise insurance and that sold on the market, pre existing conditions and coverages.  FACT.  Your obviously jaundiced view of insurance ensures your biased view.  There are literally hundreds of threads here where people did not have insurance and looking for outside the box remedies.  The most common thing people fail to consider in insurance is that it is so much more than the cruise price.  Another claim you make is that TA’s should fill out the claim which is again….wrong.  The claim forms are SPECIFICALLY for the client to fill out.  Why would they not assist when asked for assistance?    The commission on an insurance policy is very small, and so it is for the cruise, but you did not reply to that.  I can go on but think i made my points. 

No, you really didn't make your point.

1. Never once did I say the average cruiser knows more than a majority of TA's. If you can find a quote where I did say this exactly, then I will clarify or make a mea culpa.

2. I contend that very few TA's know what is covered, or what is not covered, what a pre-existing condition is and if it's covered, or the limits on the medical. Otherwise, no TA with a conscience would sell some of the policies they do.

3. I never said or implied or claimed that TA's should fill out the insurance claim form. I said, implied, and stand behind that a TA should be available to answer question, assist with how to properly file a claim (is this claim a Trip Delay, a Trip Interruption, or what and we all know that if you file under the wrong reason, the claim will be denied), and to go to bat for their client if the Travel Insurance company is being obstinate.

4. I stand behind that ANY commission earned ($5 or $500) obligates the TA ethically to assist the client in any way. (and don't twist this the wrong way. I'm talking about things you can help the client control. Not the knuckleheads who want to complain about their TA assuring them there was coke on the ship, but the ship only had Pepsi products)

And AGAIN, I have to say this LOUDLY because some have not been able to comprehend this when I've written it in the past couple of posts.

GOOD TA'S ARE FAR AND FEW BETWEEN. THERE ARE SOME GREAT TA'S, HOWEVER THERE ARE MORE MEDIOCRE ONES THAN GOOD ONES.

My personal feelings are that you are probably a good one since my post seems to have hit a nerve. But don't be mad at me just because I want to warn people that if they are going to use a TA, do some research and do everything possible to find a good one.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

And AGAIN, I have to say this LOUDLY because some have not been able to comprehend this when I've written it in the past couple of posts.

GOOD TA'S ARE FAR AND FEW BETWEEN. THERE ARE SOME GREAT TA'S, HOWEVER THERE ARE MORE MEDIOCRE ONES THAN GOOD ONES.

And your proof for this statement is????????

29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And your proof for this statement is????????

Have you read the boards on CruiseCritic.com and the issues some people write about? It's a pretty good board. You ought to check it out.

If a poster is describing an issue with their TA and it's a real issue, the friendly people on that board let them know how to possibly fix it and how to find a better TA the next time.

And if the poster is out of bounds and have an unrealistic expectation of the TA's duties, the regulars on CruiseCritic will gently let them know that also.

But, I think it's sweet that you and Jimbo are coming to the defense of all TA's and ganging up on someone who doesn't share your opinions of your professions.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Have you read the boards on CruiseCritic.com and the issues some people write about? It's a pretty good board. You ought to check it out.

If a poster is describing an issue with their TA and it's a real issue, the friendly people on that board let them know how to possibly fix it and how to find a better TA the next time.

And if the poster is out of bounds and have an unrealistic expectation of the TA's duties, the regulars on CruiseCritic will gently let them know that also.

But, I think it's sweet that you and Jimbo are coming to the defense of all TA's and ganging up on someone who doesn't share your opinions of your professions.

Have you read the boards on cruisecritic.com where people are happy with their TA? And remember someone who has a complaint is much more likely to post that than someone who received excellent service.

Have you read the complaints on these boards from people who directly booked with a cruise line rather than using a TA?