Can someone help me with laundry math?

Sundiego

We will be in a Club Balcony on a 16-day cruise. We're both Platinum. So just how much free laundry do we get? Is this math too optimistic?

It's a long cruise, so wife platinum = 2 bags and husband platinum = 2 bags

Two people in a Club balcony so 1 bag for wife and 1 bag for husband.

So 2 + 2+ 1+ 1 = potentially 6 free bags

I'm not saying we need all that laundry done, but we will have travels before and after the 16-day cruise. And if need be, we can certainly pay for the laundry promo that happens at some point. But for now, is my math close?

Denise

club balcony is one bag per cabin. they may give you two for a  long cruise, but that's not documented anywhere that i know of.

the laundry benefit for platinum and above is listed as being "per member," so that's presumably two more bags. they may give you additional bags for a long cruise as a platinum, people have indeed reported that.  but, again, that's not documented anywhere that i know of.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure if you're both Platinum in a Club Balcony on a long cruise, your room steward will get you all the free laundry you want -- within reason, of course.

39 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

I'm pretty sure if you're both Platinum in a Club Balcony on a long cruise, your room steward will get you all the free laundry you want -- within reason, of course.

Doesn't the room steward just drop off and deliver?  I didn't think they were involved in the business end of laundry.

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Doesn't the room steward just drop off and deliver?  I didn't think they were involved in the business end of laundry.

Who do you think brings you the bags? I don't think it's the laundry guy. 😄

If they can, they will.

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So, having a bag means that the laundry will be free?  I think you're mistaken about this.

Are you just being your fun self? I guess I should have said the "free" tags can be given to you by your room steward. They don't come from the Corporate Assistant Laundry Manager. 

😎

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes. That is correct. The laundry will determine if the bag is free or whether you will get a “surprise” on your room bill. The Steward is not involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others have stated, it’s written nowhere what the official rules are for trips longer than seven days.  That being said, I’ve always just asked the room steward for another bag if I need it and just write “Platinum” on the slip if we had used our coupons.  I’ve never been charged.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. That is correct. The laundry will determine if the bag is free or whether you will get a “surprise” on your room bill. The Steward is not involved. 

Sorry Bird, but that is incorrect. Free is free, laundry couldn't care less. If it has a free tag, it goes to accounting. It's free.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, RB9643 said:

Sorry Bird, but that is incorrect. Free is free, laundry couldn't care less. If it has a free tag, it goes to accounting. It's free.

There is no such thing as a "free" tag. What you get as a latitudes member is a card that has 2 coupons for the meals.  Unfortunately, by virtue of poor design, it appears that the bottom of the card is a coupon - it is not. It is merely the instructions on how to get your free laundry done.  Which is to write your latitudes status on both the bag and the laundry slip. Nothing about attaching a coupon.  As I recall, in a suite you get a letter that says what to write on the bag, again no coupon.

I can't speak to how they keep track of how much laundry anyone submits.  I did 2 bags on a 14 day trip and was not charged.  According to the onboard CN staff, it is 1/week.  Maybe I'll ask the next time I take a tour - then again maybe I don't want to know.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Are you just being your fun self? I guess I should have said the "free" tags can be given to you by your room steward.

20 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Free tags?  Have you used the NCL free laundry service?  It doesn't work that way.

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

There is no such thing as a "free" tag. What you get as a latitudes member is a card that has 2 coupons for the meals.  Unfortunately, by virtue of poor design, it appears that the bottom of the card is a coupon - it is not. It is merely the instructions on how to get your free laundry done.  Which is to write your latitudes status on both the bag and the laundry slip. Nothing about attaching a coupon.

Thanks.  It's like people just make stuff up here some days. 🤣

• Like 2

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

It is merely the instructions on how to get your free laundry done.  Which is to write your latitudes status on both the bag and the laundry slip. Nothing about attaching a coupon.  As I recall, in a suite you get a letter that says what to write on the bag, again no coupon.

That is not our experience. On our last two cruises, we had a "insert" for a free bag, and an "insert" for $29.

Who do you think provides those "inserts". Clue: it's not your bartender.

26 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

That being said, I’ve always just asked the room steward for another bag if I need it and just write “Platinum” on the slip if we had used our coupons.

I've never submitted the "coupon."  Just wrote my name and PLATINUM on bag one and DW's name and PLATINUM on bag two.  No charges.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Free tags?  Have you used the NCL free laundry service?  It doesn't work that way.

Yes, it does. Have you bothered to talk to your room steward?

1 minute ago, RB9643 said:

That is not our experience. On our last two cruises, we had a "insert" for a free bag, and an "insert" for $29.

Who do you think provides those "inserts".

Are you sure you were on an NCL ship?  You seem to be living in a different world than the rest of us.  What the heck is an "insert?"

• Haha 1

On our last 21day cruise we were told we would have 3 bags of laundry each for our platinum perk. We were told to just write platinum on the slip that lists the items in the bag. We did a bag each week. BTW we knew we would have one bag as our platinum perk so we did pack with that in mind.

• Like 2

Just to add another voice….

I just returned from B2B Alaska cruises.  On each leg, about half way through there was a piece of paper left in the room that offered the $29 laundry special (it was about 5x7) and it said to include the paper in the bag with the laundry and the itemized slip.

After the first cruise we went from silver to gold status so they left a little card in the room at the start of the second cruise showing the perks for gold members.  It looked the same as the silver card left in the room for the first cruise, except it had a tear-off coupon for a 50% off bag of laundry, so I assume this would be the same for platinum except that it would say free.  The tear-off coupon did say to include the coupon in the laundry bag so that’s what I did.  There was no mention anywhere of writing my status on the itemized laundry slip.

Back on topic though, I would love to know if there is an actual policy for whether platinum members get more than one bag of free laundry for longer cruises, as asked by the original question in this thread.  I’m going on a 21-day cruise later in the year and will be platinum at that time.

The $29 bag special, does say put slip in the bag.

(got two on our last 10n cruise, I think they spread the load on the laundry and should have got one) 

We have done multiple latitude bags on longer cruises no charges.

Just put latitude level on the bag and on the inventory slip, 

never used the latitude perk slip. 

if unsure a visit to CN

I suspect  as long as you are sensible even if you over 1 a week the magic Platinum/Sapphire... does the trick. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bomabound said:

I would love to know if there is an actual policy for whether platinum members get more than one bag of free laundry for longer cruises

there is no published policy communicated to latitudes members regarding that, though there may be internal guidelines or policies. most platinum and above members report success at getting additional "free" bags of laundry, generally at least one bag a week.

• Like 1

On our recent Epic 15 nights TA (April - May 2023) - DW and I both being Sapphire (or Platinum) got us 4 bags free (2 per person, 1 per member for a typical 7 nighter - but, 2 weeks meant 2 bags; it is NOT a documented freebie or benefits in writing: ask & confirm at the CruiseNext desk, just in case)  It was the same on our last 14 nighters on the Escape. 

That plus at least 1 free bag for being in the Club Balcony is 5 free bags (that are much smaller than before, of course) - should suffice.  If they tell you 2 free bags since it's 16 nights in the Club balcony, that's even better.   CruiseNext said, if there is any billing issues - stop at or go to Guest Services and they'll take care of the charges & reverse it. 

Besides, the "paid" $29 Bag Specials were offered 3 times on our 15 nights - and, that isn't "that" bad - all other things & prices onboard considered, and a 20% service charge wasn't added (don't hold your breath on it)  If we needed another bag stuffed full of clothes to be washed, will just sent it & used OBC to offset it.  

• Like 1