Adding FCD to booking with cash deposit

greenie082756

I have put in a question to my PVP and thought perhaps I could get some insight before she answers me. I told her no rush, but I hope I hear something this week.  

My question is: If we put down a cash deposit on a cruise however later purchase FCD's, can we apply the FCD's and receive the benefits from it as well? 

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

I have put in a question to my PVP and thought perhaps I could get some insight before she answers me. I told her no rush, but I hope I hear something this week.  

My question is: If we put down a cash deposit on a cruise however later purchase FCD's, can we apply the FCD's and receive the benefits from it as well? 

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

No. You may (probably can’t but I’ll say “may”) can apply the FCD if you wish to get rid of it but you will not get the OBC benefit for doing so. That is only available for new bookings. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

You can use the FCD anytime to spend it, but benefit only applies with initial deposit.  You would have to cancel (assuming no penalties involved) and re-book using the FCD to pay the new deposit.

As stated above...the real benefit of FCD is upon initial booking.  You're really wasting it trying to apply to an existing booking *unless* you know for absolute certainty that you're not going to be able to cruise over the next year.  In that case...I guess it's better than just sitting on it for a year and waiting for the refund.

Your FCD acquire date has to be before your booking date. I have made bookings with an online TA where their engine does not have capability to use/apply a FCD. Since the agents do not work on Sunday and I want to book and not wait to talk to an agent, or their office is closed for the day, I will lock in my booking online paying initial deposit by credit card and then when office is open, have them apply a FCD to receive the OBC.

This will work even if you are after final payment as I have done this before AND after final payment. When you do after final payment, in results in overpayment and $100 is refunded back to credit card used for final payment. Remember you need to have your FCD acquire date before your booking date. With current FCD’s having only 1 year expiration, future planning is a must.

In your case, buying a FCD after you book will not reap you any OBC for that booking, and you probably would not be able to apply to the booking because the FCD is after your booking date. If you think you might cruise again within a year, buy one or two to have in the ‘bank’ since they are fully refundable.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the answers.

I was pretty sure I knew the answer however was crossing fingers that I could do this.

We won't be able to purchase any FCD's until November.  The cruises we are looking into are in Feb & March 2024.

Have a great day!

3 hours ago, wallyj said:

Your FCD acquire date has to be before your booking date. I have made bookings with an online TA where their engine does not have capability to use/apply a FCD. Since the agents do not work on Sunday and I want to book and not wait to talk to an agent, or their office is closed for the day, I will lock in my booking online paying initial deposit by credit card and then when office is open, have them apply a FCD to receive the OBC.

This will work even if you are after final payment as I have done this before AND after final payment. When you do after final payment, in results in overpayment and $100 is refunded back to credit card used for final payment. Remember you need to have your FCD acquire date before your booking date. With current FCD’s having only 1 year expiration, future planning is a must.

In your case, buying a FCD after you book will not reap you any OBC for that booking, and you probably would not be able to apply to the booking because the FCD is after your booking date. If you think you might cruise again within a year, buy one or two to have in the ‘bank’ since they are fully refundable.

Thank you for answering this FCD question in one sentence. We were having a similar discussion on another thread and your one sentence summed it up perfectly.😀

Your FCD acquire date has to be before your booking date. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

Thank you all for the answers.

I was pretty sure I knew the answer however was crossing fingers that I could do this.

We won't be able to purchase any FCD's until November.  The cruises we are looking into are in Feb & March 2024.

Have a great day!

If you know any ‘good’ friends’ on a sailing before you will be, they can purchase FCD’s while on board for you. They will have to pay, but they will be for your Captain circle number and be available to use once posted/charged. 

I am currently in the Emerald and will be on the Sapphire June 28-July 12, you wanna be my friend? If you have Zelle, you can post you are interested and then we can exchange info.

Edited by wallyj

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’ve actually had luck in using a FCD by canceling a cruise prior to final payment and rebooking.  The key is that the new booking has the same or better promo than when you originally booked it.  

We have a B2B2B booked for this fall but had no remaining FCD when we booked the cruises. (D'Oh!) Back in May I was checking pricing to see what the cruises were going for then and was surprised to find that the second and third legs had gone down and also now included an extra $100 each OBC as a promotion. By then we had sailed again and had more FCD so I called my TA and he was able to cancel the bookings for those two cruises, apply the FCD to the same "new" cruises in the same cabin. We had originally booked with Princess Plus but at the old rate. The only way to get what we wanted was to book those two with the new, higher rate. It didn't matter to us as it was much less after the refare. With the new bookings - including the added cost to get the new Princess Plus - we saved $1,036.36 and had an extra $600 OBC. It can really pay to keep track of pricing.

• Like 2