New to Princess. Looking at Sun Princess. ???

cbfb

We are Celebrity cruisers wanting to make a change. Sun Princess caught my eye. Looks gorgeous. A few questions:

Considering mini suite with cabana. Is this a new category or do other ships have it. Trying to find photos and decide if it’s worth it.

Does the mini suite come with a designated restaurant or is it MDR?

how about children onboard. Please don’t come for me, just asking. This ship looks like it may be a kid magnet so we want to be prepared. We are looking at a 7 night Carribean cruise at the very beginning of November. 

Thanks so much for any info on Princess and helping us with a decision, 

The mini suites with cabanas are new to the Sun Princess, although there are similar cabins on the newest P&O ships I believe. P&O is also owned by CCL.  The Reserve collection mini suite have their own dining room and priority embarkation and debarkation along with a few other amenities.

This is a ship still under construction, so the number of children on board is a little hard to predict, but this rendering should give you a better idea of how big the Park19 area really is,  I don’t think it’s comparable to Royal or NCL honestly.  In early November, the ship should be mostly adults.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2944475-61523-unveiling-park19-new-top-deck-family-activity-zone-to-debut-on-board-sun-princess/?do=findComment&comment=65564942

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, katmu said:

The mini suites with cabanas are new to the Sun Princess, although there are similar cabins on the newest P&O ships I believe. P&O is also owned by CCL.  The Reserve collection mini suite have their own dining room and priority embarkation and debarkation along with a few other amenities.

This is a ship still under construction, so the number of children on board is a little hard to predict, but this rendering should give you a better idea of how big the Park19 area really is,  I don’t think it’s comparable to Royal or NCL honestly.  In early November, the ship should be mostly adults.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2944475-61523-unveiling-park19-new-top-deck-family-activity-zone-to-debut-on-board-sun-princess/?do=findComment&comment=65564942

Thank you for the information. It helps for sure. Yes the Park 19 area does scare me a little!!! 

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

We are Celebrity cruisers wanting to make a change. Sun Princess caught my eye. Looks gorgeous. A few questions:

Considering mini suite with cabana. Is this a new category or do other ships have it. Trying to find photos and decide if it’s worth it.

Does the mini suite come with a designated restaurant or is it MDR?

how about children onboard. Please don’t come for me, just asking. This ship looks like it may be a kid magnet so we want to be prepared. We are looking at a 7 night Carribean cruise at the very beginning of November. 

Thanks so much for any info on Princess and helping us with a decision, 

No one really knows much other than from Princess hype and artist renderings.  It is like no other PCL ship and that is why I am interested in trying it out.  It could be a cruise to nowhere for all I care.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

Thank you for the information. It helps for sure. Yes the Park 19 area does scare me a little!!! 

I’m booked on the inaugural Med cruise so I can always report back on how many kids are onboard in February.

• Like 1

Shorter cruises, and cruises during the usual school year timeframes should not have tons of kids.

I think it would be very easy to avoid/ignore Park 19.

Early November should be good.

Schools here have Fall Break in early and mid October.

But, by the third week of October, that should be about over.

However, just saying.... you never know.  On our last cruise, there were two families with young children that were everywhere, parents not reigning them in at all.  Just never know!

I will also say that last time we went to a nice Golf and Spa resort, late april....  shoulder season...  The place had a lot of people with children like 6 and younger.  Young enough to not feel like they had to be in school.  A whole lot of them! 

When you consider your budget, I wonder if you might consider a Signature mini-suite.

The Signature Sun Deck and The Sanctuary should be child free.

It is a current topic of discussion whether families in Signature Suites will be able to bring their children to the Signature Sun Deck.   The Sanctuary has always been adult only.

Both Reserve and Signature have a private restaurant available.  And Signature looks like there is a two level Signature Lounge.

11 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Shorter cruises, and cruises during the usual school year timeframes should not have tons of kids.

I think it would be very easy to avoid/ignore Park 19.

Early November should be good.

Schools here have Fall Break in early and mid October.

But, by the third week of October, that should be about over.

However, just saying.... you never know.  On our last cruise, there were two families with young children that were everywhere, parents not reigning them in at all.  Just never know!

I will also say that last time we went to a nice Golf and Spa resort, late april....  shoulder season...  The place had a lot of people with children like 6 and younger.  Young enough to not feel like they had to be in school.  A whole lot of them! 

When you consider your budget, I wonder if you might consider a Signature mini-suite.

The Signature Sun Deck and The Sanctuary should be child free.

It is a current topic of discussion whether families in Signature Suites will be able to bring their children to the Signature Sun Deck.   The Sanctuary has always been adult only.

Both Reserve and Signature have a private restaurant available.  And Signature looks like there is a two level Signature Lounge.

Thank you so much for your reply. Great information regarding the signature suite. I will definitely look into it. This shop looks amazing so I am hoping it works out. 

42 minutes ago, katmu said:

I’m booked on the inaugural Med cruise so I can always report back on how many kids are onboard in February.

Have an amazing time. I would love to hear about it when you get back. 

2 hours ago, katmu said:

Interesting. Is it truly a separate dining venue, or just a roped off area in the main MDR like Club Class on the current ships?

I am thinking that these, at least the Signature, will be separate dining rooms.

Don't know if they will upgrade Reserve to be better than 'Club' to it's own separate restaurant or not?

I think some of the deck plans that have floated around out there do show a Signature Restaurant.

Edited by Wishing on a star

16 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Interesting. Is it truly a separate dining venue, or just a roped off area in the main MDR like Club Class on the current ships?

Both are totally separate to the MDR.

Reserve Collection restaurant

sun-pres-Reserve-Collect-Resturant.thumb.jpg.b326f4dcbf4e22c8c15353fbc16e11c2.jpg

Signature Collection restaurant:

sun-pres-Signature-Resturant.thumb.jpg.3cd3873d79d6d7be7fcaa6c12f44e5a2.jpg

Both on deck 7 - Signature is mid-ships, Reserve mid-aft  while the MDR is aft and on decks 6,7 and 8.

image.thumb.png.4c81402747b49f22dd617dfd05c9a95a.png

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, dides said:

Both are totally separate to the MDR.

Reserve Collection restaurant

sun-pres-Reserve-Collect-Resturant.thumb.jpg.b326f4dcbf4e22c8c15353fbc16e11c2.jpg

Signature Collection restaurant:

sun-pres-Signature-Resturant.thumb.jpg.3cd3873d79d6d7be7fcaa6c12f44e5a2.jpg

Both on deck 7 - Signature is mid-ships, Reserve mid-aft  while the MDR is aft and on decks 6,7 and 8.

image.thumb.png.4c81402747b49f22dd617dfd05c9a95a.png

Thank you! I called Princess and spoke to one of their vacation planners. She couldn’t answer any questions. Really seemed out of her element.  I’m a little concerned because all they have available is guarantee cabins. I know those are the leftovers no one wants!!! I may look at a different sailing to see if I can choose the cabin. 

• Like 1

This is not unusual with Princess.

They have been setting up their booking system with a lot of them GTY.

Not necessarily the last ones that nobody wants.

There are a lot of factors that affect how many cabins might show up for selection.

And, yes, some Princess Planners are better than others.  To be sure.

Do you know of a good Travel Agent that might be able to help you book with Princess?

In the past, some used to have luck booking a GTY, and then having their agent go ahead and assign them a room.   But, I really don't think that is being done any more.

It would be good if you knew that most all of these Cabana Cabins were in a good location.

But, the C2 cabanas, that are not overlooking the Cabana Deck could be the ones that are Forward, over the Princess Theater.   The C1 cabins, that are overlooking the Cabana Deck might be less of a risk.  If that is where you want to be.  The non-Reserve Cabanas on deck 10 are right over the main Piazza.

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

This is not unusual with Princess.

They have been setting up their booking system with a lot of them GTY.

Not necessarily the last ones that nobody wants.

There are a lot of factors that affect how many cabins might show up for selection.

And, yes, some Princess Planners are better than others.  To be sure.

Do you know of a good Travel Agent that might be able to help you book with Princess?

In the past, some used to have luck booking a GTY, and then having their agent go ahead and assign them a room.   But, I really don't think that is being done any more.

It would be good if you knew that most all of these Cabana Cabins were in a good location.

But, the C2 cabanas, that are not overlooking the Cabana Deck could be the ones that are Forward, over the Princess Theater.   The C1 cabins, that are overlooking the Cabana Deck might be less of a risk.  If that is where you want to be.  The non-Reserve Cabanas on deck 10 are right over the main Piazza.

Thank you for this information. Sounds like the non- reserve would be the least desirable due to location and no restaurant access. I appreciate this information. It’s amazing how much we take for granted knowing all the ins and outs of booking after being with celebrity for 10 years. I think that’s what makes it hard to switch. So I appreciate everyone giving me a piece of their knowledge! 

I think that the Cabana Mini-Suites are in high demand.  As they are new to Princess.

I think I am seeing that you can book a GTY on a reserve cabana minisuite, mid-ship, deck 9, which would be the best to hope for a good location.  Not above the Princess Theater, etc.

And there are Signature Suites to choose.  ( No cabana, looks the same as a mini-suite, but with Signature access and perks.   The Signature Sun Deck, Signature Restaurant, etc.)

Edited by Wishing on a star

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I think that the Cabana Mini-Suites are in high demand.  As they are new to Princess.

I think I am seeing that you can book a GTY on a reserve cabana minisuite, mid-ship, deck 9, which would be the best to hope for a good location.  Not above the Princess Theater, etc.

And there are Signature Suites to choose.  ( No cabana, looks the same as a mini-suite, but with Signature access and perks.   The Signature Sun Deck, Signature Restaurant, etc.)

Thank you! I will definitely look at the signature suites too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProfMHC said:

My Princess CVP was able to book our desired reserve mini when all that showed online were guarantees

I was thinking I should call back and try someone else. No offense to the woman I spoke to but she was truly clueless. Since I am clueless about Princess I definitely need the cruise planner to be experienced!! 

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

My TA was able to do just this for me last week. I was pleasantly surprised that they could and I got the cabin I wanted with a no upgrade added to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for all of your information. It is humbling to not know what I’m doing!!! 

We put a hold on a cabin and it gave me until June 24 to pay the deposit. Do I need to call to do that or can I do that online? I downloaded the app but the booking number isn’t showing up. Also, if I book through Princess can I transfer the cruise to a TA after the payment? 

The others here will be more helpful than I can with this one.

But, for now, I will go ahead and make an effort to help answer some of your questions.

If you have a HOLD, it should have a booking number.

If you are booking directly thru Princess, yes, I believe you should be able to pull up that HOLD right there on the website, and then make a deposit.

I have not used the APP.

I am not sure if your Hold is not showing up on the APP yet, or why.  

Yes, if you know of a good TA that you would like to use, you can transfer this to a TA.  You can do this right away.  I have never done this transfer, so I am not sure how quickly this happens.  So, you might want to go on the web-site, or call Princess to make that deposit before your Hold expires, if you are sure you want to keep this booking and this cabin.

NOTE:  There have been questions lately about bookings having a NON refundable deposit.

Just want to mention that, and make sure you know whether your deposit is fully refundable.

Usually, when one chooses a cabin, these bookings are refundable.

And, when one chooses to book GTY the deposit can be NON refundable.

14 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

The others here will be more helpful than I can with this one.

But, for now, I will go ahead and make an effort to help answer some of your questions.

If you have a HOLD, it should have a booking number.

If you are booking directly thru Princess, yes, I believe you should be able to pull up that HOLD right there on the website, and then make a deposit.

I have not used the APP.

I am not sure if your Hold is not showing up on the APP yet, or why.  

Yes, if you know of a good TA that you would like to use, you can transfer this to a TA.  You can do this right away.  I have never done this transfer, so I am not sure how quickly this happens.  So, you might want to go on the web-site, or call Princess to make that deposit before your Hold expires, if you are sure you want to keep this booking and this cabin.

NOTE:  There have been questions lately about bookings having a NON refundable deposit.

Just want to mention that, and make sure you know whether your deposit is fully refundable.

Usually, when one chooses a cabin, these bookings are refundable.

And, when one chooses to book GTY the deposit can be NON refundable.

Thank you! This information is exactly what I am looking for. It is a refundable deposit which has been non existent on celebrity without a massive up charge so it’s a welcome change especially with a booking more than a year out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

Thanks everyone for all of your information. It is humbling to not know what I’m doing!!! 

We put a hold on a cabin and it gave me until June 24 to pay the deposit. Do I need to call to do that or can I do that online? I downloaded the app but the booking number isn’t showing up. Also, if I book through Princess can I transfer the cruise to a TA after the payment? 

I would call my TA and tell them to pick up the booking.  You should show a booking number on the website.  Give your deposit to the TA.

Once you have it on deposit, you should see it on the outside App.  Takes a couple of days to populate.

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I would call my TA and tell them to pick up the booking.  You should show a booking number on the website.  Give your deposit to the TA.

Once you have it on deposit, you should see it on the outside App.  Takes a couple of days to populate.

Great info. I didn’t know I could do this before paying the deposit. Thank you!