JUNIOR CRYSTAL PENTHOUSE

Mercedes Jazz

It's always funny how we all see things differently.

The whole point in the name is that it is a Junior (yes smaller) version of the Crystal Penthouse.  If you look closely at the amenities, there are very few differences.

What is the major difference? Size.

So rather than going with a completely different name they just added on the word Junior.

In my mind. Easy peasy.

In my mind when it comes to names is how am I going to remember and pronounce the name of the Italian Restaurant.  I will likely say the former Prego or the Italian Restaurant at least at the beginning.

So it goes.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Names are important, especially in marketing, which Crystal, as opposed to Crystal Cruises, is keenly aware.

I suspect that many Lexus owners would not want their purchases to be named something like Camry Jr!

Mercedes is my real first name, by the way, but I don't drive one.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mercedes Jazz said:

Names are important, especially in marketing, which Crystal, as opposed to Crystal Cruises, is keenly aware.

I suspect that many Lexus owners would not want their purchases to be named something like Camry Jr!

But would Toyota owners be happy to call their cars Lexus Jrs? I think you got your analogy backwards. If I’m using the word analogy correctly.

I suppose you’re going to tell us you drive a Bentley.

And btw, Mr B drives a Toyota Avalon, which is closer than a Camry to a Lexus Jr. 

Edited by May B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercedes Jazz said:

Two things.

I don't expect people to tell me how to name my children or other things.

I don't tell companies how to name their products.

To me it is logical that they selected Junior for the reasons I said but in the end it is Crystal's decision.

On a related note when Serenity first came out many didn't like its interior colors. My thought was always I am not buying the ship so I'll go with the flow. A year later never heard a peep about it. I believe the same will hold true for the name of the Junior CP.

Keith

• Haha 1

I don't recall giving advice as to how someone might name their children. I simply stated the fact that Mama and Papa named me Mercedes.

I did give my opinion that Crystal made a bad choice in prefixing a top suite with the name Junior. And in fact I did pass on the opportunity to book Junior for an itinerary where the Crystal Penthouse is sold out. It's important to me. I don't judge anyone here by their choices, please don't judge me by mine.

Toyota is the older between Toyota and Lexus, so it could follow that they Lexus is Junior, but I see your point, May B. And yes ... how did you know that I drive a Bentley?! Thankfully, that is not my name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

FYI, I do not care what they name any venue on the ships. Will probably have difficulty with the Italian restaurant, but as long as they still serve the carpaccio and the mushroom soup made with the old recipes, it's fine by me. I do not think more or less of anyone based on their vehicle. I drive a 2016 Toyota Camry, so it's fine by me if you choose to ignore what I say based on that.

Patty

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

FYI, I do not care what they name any venue on the ships. Will probably have difficulty with the Italian restaurant, but as long as they still serve the carpaccio and the mushroom soup made with the old recipes, it's fine by me. I do not think more or less of anyone based on their vehicle. I drive a 2016 Toyota Camry, so it's fine by me if you choose to ignore what I say based on that.

Patty

Love you, Patty. The like button wasn’t strong enuff.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mercedes Jazz said:

I did give my opinion that Crystal made a bad choice in prefixing a top suite with the name Junior. And in fact I did pass on the opportunity to book Junior for an itinerary where the Crystal Penthouse is sold out. It's important to me. I don't judge anyone here by their choices, please don't judge me by mine.

Help me understand. I think maybe I misunderstood your wording?

Did you not book a cruise on Crystal because the Crystal PH was sold out and you didn't like the name of the Jr Crystal PH?

Over the last year when certain topics such as animals came up all of a sudden a bunch of members with animal names came up.

Well where are all the Jr.s/Juniors when we need them.  

I know the next time I look at available rooms for a hotel where often I see the word Junior it will remind me of this thread.  I've never viewed Junior for a hotel suite being a problem and never viewed the name for a smaller CP suite being a problem.  But like all things we all come at things differently including the make of cars we prefer 😀

Keith

10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Over the last year when certain topics such as animals came up all of a sudden a bunch of members with animal names came up.

Well where are all the Jr.s/Juniors when we need them.  

I know the next time I look at available rooms for a hotel where often I see the word Junior it will remind me of this thread.  I've never viewed Junior for a hotel suite being a problem and never viewed the name for a smaller CP suite being a problem.  But like all things we all come at things differently including the make of cars we prefer 😀

Keith

Well, we booked a B2B 18 day cruise in 2024 in a “Junior” CP suite. The nomenclature did not bother us in the least. For us, the size of the suite was smaller but offered the same benefits as the “Parent” CP at a much lower price. We did cruise on a CP once and found that although the square footage was substantial, there were areas of the suite we did not partake in at all. We would rather do an extra cruise than pay more for something that economically doesn’t sense to us. 

• Like 3

Just now, InsGuy3 said:

Well, we booked a B2B 18 day cruise in 2024 in a “Junior” CP suite. The nomenclature did not bother us in the least. For us, the size of the suite was smaller but offered the same benefits as the “Parent” CP at a much lower price. We did cruise on a CP once and found that although the square footage was substantial, there were areas of the suite we did not partake in at all. We would rather do an extra cruise than pay more for something that economically doesn’t sense to us. 

Yes, you booked as we would based on the actual room and what appeals to you rather than the name. 

On a related note on several voyages both the CP's and Junior Suites are booked so it look like the name is not impacting bookings.  😀  As I said earlier almost every amenity listed for the Junior CP is the same for the CP so to me it made sense to refer to it as a CP and since it's smaller Junior makes perfect sense to me.

We have our favorites on each of the two ships and on one we like a category more than the other one and on the other ship we like a category over the other one. The reason is layout and finish out.

Keith

• Like 2

My takeaway from this is that some people want the best, and won't settle for second best.

I also agree that "Junior" was a poor choice from a marketing perspective.

That said, I'm looking forward to my first Crystal cruise in an Aquamarine Veranda Suite!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, -affineur- said:

My takeaway from this is that some people want the best, and won't settle for second best.

I also agree that "Junior" was a poor choice from a marketing perspective.

That said, I'm looking forward to my first Crystal cruise in an Aquamarine Veranda Suite!

For a difference of $18,400 between the best and second best for an 18 day cruise, I will gladly settle for second best, when we don’t perceive much difference in what we are looking for in a Suite. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, InsGuy3 said:

For a difference of $18,400 between the best and second best for an 18 day cruise, I will gladly settle for second best, when we don’t perceive much difference in what we are looking for in a Suite. 

This is why the eye is in the beholder. Some would apply the same analogy and logic to getting an aquamarine suites versus a junior CP suite or sailing on a premium versus a luxury cruise line.

There are not many CP's nor Junior CP's just like in a hotel there are usually not many of the larger suites recognizing fewer people have a desire to book these.  On several voyages I have looked at the CP and Junior CP is shown as wait listed.

I do want to mention that for some location matters so for someone who is willing to spend more for a Junior CP or a CP those who prefer a less bumpy ride might pick a CP while those who prefer feeling more of the sea swells might desire the Junior CP.

Choice is good.  😀

Keith

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I do want to mention that for some location matters so for someone who is willing to spend more for a Junior CP or a CP those who prefer a less bumpy ride might pick a CP while those who prefer feeling more of the sea swells might desire the Junior CP.

Choice is good.  😀

Keith

Keith, bumpy doesn’t bother us in the least. About 20 years ago my wife and I sailed on our 46’ sailboat from  New York all the way to Trinidad and on the return ended up staying permanently in Florida. We had spent 4 years sailing the islands on that boat during all kinds of conditions.

Edited by InsGuy3
  • Like 2