Onboard Vista

pinotlover

On our recent cruise on Vista they were definitely hard to find on Terrace Cafe, in the GDR it was better but even then on a couple of occasions was slow. When they move to including the drink package with simplyMore, will the general wait staff then most likely also be able to serve wine since no need for tighter control?  If so, the issue could go away.  

5 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Pinot,

I’m pleased you enjoyed the new ship, as you do report things as you find them….both good and the not so good.

On that note, I recall you have previously reported some difficulty in finding wine waiters during some meal times; especially the Terrace.

How was that side of things this time ?

With ‘simply more’ having an all inclusive feature with beer & wine during lunch & dinner, it will be even more important that there are adequate staff to cater for what is likely to be a greater uptake of that service.

A very good question.

The answer actually lies in my opening comments. Oceania went with the crème de crème for their service staff on these early Vista cruises. All the staff was hand picked, previously trained, and performed very well. We knew many of them very well from previous cruises. This won’t last much longer however, as some start rotating off as early as the end of July. I therefore don’t believe it’s fair to compare the performance of this briefly assembled “ All Star Team “ to what is normally encountered on any of the ships.

As typical, those serving the wine are wine stewards, not actual sommeliers as most now professionally define the term. I found many of them with a striking lack of wine knowledge. A couple, such as Tina and Nanita, were working to improve their knowledge and were excellent wine stewards. Quite a few others had almost no wine knowledge or experience, and just worked hard to pour whatever one asked for efficiently. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania went with the crème de crème for their service staff on these early Vista cruises. All the staff was hand picked, previously trained, and performed very well. 

This could very well be why those on Marina are having the issues that have been reported. I didn't really notice any service problems on Riviera, but we did talk to a few new staff members. 

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A very good question.

The answer actually lies in my opening comments. Oceania went with the crème de crème for their service staff on these early Vista cruises. All the staff was hand picked, previously trained, and performed very well. We knew many of them very well from previous cruises. 

Thanks,  that makes sense.

Hopefully wine waiter staffing levels keep up with any anticipated increase in demand for meal time service.

I believe you are right, the staff on Vista had done previous Oceania contracts and had experience so they knew the procedures but it is a new ship with so many new processes to learn. We met many who were only on their second contract so hardly made it to crème de la crème status.  I also believe they did not strip the other ships clean of experienced staff, supervisors and managers. We sailed on Marina in January and we talked to MANY experienced staff members who were NOT going to Vista and had not applied either.  In October, after the initial contract staff have rotated off, we will see what things are like while a new team gets up to speed. I don’t expect perfection but I do expect amazing efforts to dazzle the guests. 

Specialty dining reservations are definitely a game to be played, be it when initially released for reservations or when on board.  From pictures I have seen of the R ships, it looks like there may be fewer 2 Tops so getting them will always be a challenge. 4 and 6 Tops are more readily available and we normally have no problem getting a reservation because we always travel with friends or encounter old friends from past cruises so sharing a table is easy. If you can be flexible with your dining desires, I am sure you can be accommodated.

Here are a few thoughts to consider.
#1, Never book a Specialty reservation the first night out, just go to Reservations when you Embark and offer to take any seating in any restaurant they have available, you will normally be successful. #2, Don’t limit yourself to Sea Days only, Availability is minimal as guests in PH and above book 75 days in advance and may take the vast majority of the reservations. #3, Be willing to Share a table, there really are a lot of wonderful people on board you might enjoy meeting, hold off on a 2 Top for the GDR or TC.  #4, If you can eat a little later, say 7:30-8:00, stop by your restaurant of choice and ask the Maitre D if He/She might be able to fit you in.  It definitely happens. #5, Since the Maitre D’s also work in the TC for Breakfast or Lunch, maybe a little chat time could benefit you in finding an available reservation. #6, If you happen to be in a PH, turn your Butler lose on the reservation task and they will deliver.

#7, If you are on an O or A Class ship, you will have much more availability in the Specialties because there are 4 restaurants, be patient and ask, and ask, and ask. 
I know guests that eat in the Specialties 60-90% of the time on their cruises, they were not in PH’s either. Just be flexible and willing to share. Often times they were invited to share dinner reservations that others had made.

Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 3

I, nor anyone else, claimed Oceania stripped all the ships “ clean “ of experienced staff! What kind of straw man was that? From what we learned, crew did not apply for positions on the new ship. They were asked, starting last Fall, if they would like to be part of the crew. Many accepted, others for their own reasons didn’t. An example, we had a great waitress on the Marina. We asked if she was going to the Vista. Her reply “I was invited, but my boyfriend wasn’t, so we’re taking a different contract together!”  Oops!

The Vista crew started boarding in April to train on the ship and to get it ready for its maiden pre Founders cruise. The staff was given varying term contracts to create an orderly rotation of crew. Some start departing by 8/1. 

All the staff had previously worked on an Oceania ship . Because of some differences with the new ship, mostly technological, there is/was still a learning curve for the staff. Some of the crew were indeed only on their second contract. However, it doesn’t take managers long to identify exceptional workers, and all aboard had been justifiably so.

• Like 2

Just to add to @mauibabes post above.  In January on Riviera we had a reservation in Jacques to share a table.  Stopped by the restaurant earlier in the day when they had someone at the desk and the door was open.  Asked if we could switch to a two top and we were completely open on timing.  They were happy to accommodate.  Not saying this will always happen but they do try to make you happy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 1:08 AM, pinotlover said:

A very good question.

The answer actually lies in my opening comments. Oceania went with the crème de crème for their service staff on these early Vista cruises. All the staff was hand picked, previously trained, and performed very well. We knew many of them very well from previous cruises. This won’t last much longer however, as some start rotating off as early as the end of July. I therefore don’t believe it’s fair to compare the performance of this briefly assembled “ All Star Team “ to what is normally encountered on any of the ships.

As typical, those serving the wine are wine stewards, not actual sommeliers as most now professionally define the term. I found many of them with a striking lack of wine knowledge. A couple, such as Tina and Nanita, were working to improve their knowledge and were excellent wine stewards. Quite a few others had almost no wine knowledge or experience, and just worked hard to pour whatever one asked for efficiently. 

Good to see that you picked out Tina - whilst we were aboard Vista we used to look for her section in the GDR.  She was such a pleasure to have serving us and she was so interested in what she saw as her career  👏👏

• Like 1

Comments about Marina are right.  We are on Marina now.  This is our 4th time on Marina. Our previous Marina cruises were excellent. In December 2022, we had a great time. While onboard, we booked a Vista cruise for 2024.  Sadly, this time is very different. Most apparent is the dining staff. Service is slow in the GDR.  In the buffet, they grab your plates too soon.  I have had dishes taken before I finished eating.  The food quality is hit or miss.  The best food at sea?  Not anymore!  Often when you ask for something, you don’t get it. Many workers in buffet don’t understand English.  It’s a challenge getting what you want.  Too often, the response is that they have supply issues.  Reading this thread, I the shortcomings on Marina make sense.  Crew on Marina is mostly new. While they are polite and try to please, they lack experience.  Often crew tells us that they are new and are learning.  This morning, we went to GDR for breakfast. It was mostly empty.  The service was extremely slow.  When we got our food, it was cold.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

Should you have to track down management?  

Your question reminds me of song lyrics that go something like:

”We’ll break your legs and you’ll thank us for the crutches.”

• Haha 2

If referring to my posts, no defense offered, just sharing MHO that Oceania needs to be told and if you want to start at the top of the food chain, the F and B Director is the place to go.
The Mid Cruise survey is a hand written one that stays aboard the ship and is turned in to the Reception Desk Staff or adjacent box. The end of cruise survey goes directly to Miami and that is the ships “Report Card” so to speak and the GM and staff never see those comments. 

I think O has to do a lot of work when it comes to the End of Cruise Survey because it is definitely not an easy process to get thru in a very limited amount of time. On our recent Vista trip I did not get it done because we could not get on line.  There should be a way to submit a survey post cruise for a period of days as opposed to people writing an email to Miami. 
JMHO,

Mauibabes

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I just have a gut feeling that will still be considered tracking! Just a hunch and too much effort. 😉

Then just  get on with things  & put up with any issues  that arise 

quit moaning about things 

JMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I guess I wasn’t clear, they were told (very politely least I be accused of being tactless) and I do not whine simply sharing  my experiences. Glad yours were better so obviously that’s why you defend, but please don’t assume all situations are addressed as yours were.

16 hours ago, Redtravel said:

The best food at sea?  Not anymore!  

Maybe, maybe not, if you read the reviews on other lines.  Viking just did a menu change for it's Italian specialty, Manfredi's, and it ain't good.

• Thanks 1

All of these lines are getting terrible reviews on CC.  My husband and I will be on the Vista at the end of the year but going forward we are going back to land trips.  Cruising in general isn’t what it used to be.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

All of these lines are getting terrible reviews on CC.  My husband and I will be on the Vista at the end of the year but going forward we are going back to land trips.  Cruising in general isn’t what it used to be.  

You are not the only one.

There are many travel options out there.

We are doing the O Iceland/Greenland Nfld etc tour in August.

We cancelled a O deep south in February as not interested in getting yellow fever and malaria shots as well as too many dubious islands. Cancelled before the 6 month requirement to get our deposit back.

Replaced the $ budget with a 23 day Trafalgar Best of Great Britain tour including ferry to Ireland. Includes food in local restaurants etc. Did a Globus tour in 2019 to Germany, Austria, Switzerland that was simply outstanding. Seeing the local sites, eating local food, seeing local entertainment was very, very rewarding. We were taken care of so well by Globus. I had 0 complaints.

The next voyage is on Hurtigruten along the Norway coast involving 2 Mighty trains. 

We will always consider cruising opportunities, however, the days of cruising first is gone for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grifdoglover said:

We are traveling to resorts more frequently since cruising isn't what it used to be; perhaps it never will as good as the halcyon days before the shutdowns. We stay in one and two bedroom suites, preferably with a full kitchen since I have allergies. One thing we especially liked about cruising was not having to grocery shop or cook. In some destinations there are ample dining opportunities to accommodate dealing with my food allergies so we'll make a room with a cooktop work.  I'll reassess after our first Oceania cruise in August '23. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

We are traveling to resorts more frequently since cruising isn't what it used to be; perhaps it never will as good as the halcyon days before the shutdowns. We stay in one and two bedroom suites, preferably with a full kitchen since I have allergies. One thing we especially liked about cruising was not having to grocery shop or cook. In some destinations there are ample dining opportunities to accommodate dealing with my food allergies so we'll make a room with a cooktop work.  I'll reassess after our first Oceania cruise in August '23. 

If you haven't already, contact ship services about your allergies.  I have a shellfish allergy and on all of my cruises they have accommodated me.  They will bring you a menu the night before so that you can make choices.  With enough lead time, they can even alter recipes to eliminate the dangerous item (Red Ginger is a minefield for me what with oyster sauce and certain brands of fish sauce, etc).  I have been very well treated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2