Celebrity Move Up Bid Criteria

6 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Does anyone know what the criteria is for the Celebrity Move Up offer?  Is it strictly the highest bidder or do they take into account your current cabin assignment; eg will the selling up of your cabin make more $ for X in comparison to another cruiser’s cabin?

I believe it is based strictly on the amount bid but the system is technically opaque to us.  So I don't think your current cabin nor the price you paid figures into it.  Your Captains Club tier does have an impact.  Your bid value is escalated by a percentage based on your tier.  I cannot remember the amount but it is small like 2-5% range.

MoveUp FAQs

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I believe it is based strictly on the amount bid but the system is technically opaque to us.  So I don't think your current cabin nor the price you paid figures into it.  Your Captains Club tier does have an impact.  Your bid value is escalated by a percentage based on your tier.  I cannot remember the amount but it is small like 2-5% range.

MoveUp FAQs

Thanks.  Yes, I spoke with X and they said what you said about it being amount based but they also told me not everyone is given the opportunity to bid.  Very interesting about the tiers.  I didn’t know that.  I just changed my bids to slightly higher to increase our chances.  There is better value with the suites as far as the inclusive drinks, better dining and other suite “perks”.  We’ll see what happens…

2 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Thanks.  Yes, I spoke with X and they said what you said about it being amount based but they also told me not everyone is given the opportunity to bid.  Very interesting about the tiers.  I didn’t know that.  I just changed my bids to slightly higher to increase our chances.  There is better value with the suites as far as the inclusive drinks, better dining and other suite “perks”.  We’ll see what happens…

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

You're aware you keep your perks, ie drink package, wifi etc that you currently have if in a non suite room and bidding up to a suite room.  Tho you do get the access to Retreat lounge where you can get drinks.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

You're aware you keep your perks, ie drink package, wifi etc that you currently have if in a non suite room and bidding up to a suite room.  Tho you do get the access to Retreat lounge where you can get drinks.  

The X representative said if we are upgraded into the suite they would refund any drink and wifi packages and we would receive those perks as part of the suite category.  He said gratuities would be more due to the upgrade.

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***

1 minute ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

The X representative said if we are upgraded into the suite they would refund any drink and wifi packages and we would receive those perks as part of the suite category.

I am pretty sure that is incorrect. 

Does the upgrade include any additional promotions?

The upgrade does not include any additional promotions. However, you get to keep whichever promotions you already have.

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

I am pretty sure that is incorrect. 

The upgrade does not include any additional promotions. However, you get to keep whichever promotions you already have.

I’ll call them back and confirm but that’s what the rep told me.  He volunteered the info. I believe the last time we bid and won our way into a X suite we automatically got the upgrades but that was way back in 2019 so I don’t know if I’m remembering correctly.

5 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I’ll call them back and confirm but that’s what the rep told me.  He volunteered the info. I believe the last time we bid and won our way into a X suite we automatically got the upgrades but that was way back in 2019 so I don’t know if I’m remembering correctly.

Check the Celebrity FAQ link I sent earlier.  It's pretty much blackletter law.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Check the Celebrity FAQ link I sent earlier.  It's pretty much blackletter law.

You are correct. The agent gave me incorrect information.  I just reported to X that I received incorrect info and they are documenting that interaction.  They are really nickel and diming with the drink package in my opinion.  They should at least include the basic package for suite bid upgrades.  We don’t really drink alcohol but soft drink or mineral water choices would have been nice. If we get the suite we will get drinks in the Retreat lounge and carry them to dinner (lol).

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if part of the algorithm didn’t take into consideration how much they can get for your current cabin. They are going to want to maximize revenue.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I would be very surprised if part of the algorithm didn’t take into consideration how much they can get for your current cabin. They are going to want to maximize revenue.

I agree, this must be the case for any algorithm to be worth anything. Bid whatever you want, but know that there is a substantial part of the process you can't control--what others are bidding for your current cabin and so on down the line. The winner may not be the highest bidder.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Yes, that is a very good point.

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

if you win a Move Up bid, your drink package is not automatically upgraded to Premium. You have the perks you had with original booking.  

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

The X representative said if we are upgraded into the suite they would refund any drink and wifi packages and we would receive those perks as part of the suite category.  He said gratuities would be more due to the upgrade.

I would check again -  the agent doesn't appear to be knowledgeable

On the FAQ is specifically addresses it with this question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would check again -  the agent doesn't appear to be knowledgeable

On the FAQ is specifically addresses it with this question.

No automatic package upgrades.  See my response a few posts back.

50 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Yes, I agree, but I think that is how they determine the starting bid.  

None of us are aware of the Logarithm that is used by PlusGrade.    They strive to maximize the revenue from upgrades.    

While I don't know more than others, from personal experience I would think that current booking has a bearing on the winning bid.   Remember that each upgrade then sets off a chain of upgrades to fill the cabins that were opened up due to an upgrade.

There are also Bonus uplifts of bids according to CC Status.

Recently I bid maximum on an upgrade from a CS to a Villa and did not get it but the person (who I knew in a RS) was upgraded to a Villa at less than full bid price and I won the RS they vacated at less than a Max bid (and less than my Villa Bid).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, mahdnc said:

MoveUp FAQs

It has to. The entire premise is increased revenue. It wouldn’t make sense to let an inside cabin move to a suite at the same opportunity cost of an Aqua cabin moving to a suite. 

We also have friends who book only SV cabins on E class then place a minimum bid for Sky Suites and have received it 6 out of 6 times. People will pay a lot for the SV which makes moving you out of the SV more appealing. 

And there’s this: 

IMG_1225.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

It has to. The entire premise is increased revenue. It wouldn’t make sense to let an inside cabin move to a suite at the same opportunity cost of an Aqua cabin moving to a suite. 

We also have friends who book only SV cabins on E class then place a minimum bid for Sky Suites and have received it 6 out of 6 times. People will pay a lot for the SV which makes moving you out of the SV more appealing. 

And there’s this: 

IMG_1225.jpeg

I agree

On 6/24/2023 at 2:38 PM, paulh84 said:

And there’s this: 

IMG_1225.jpeg

Am I the only person appalled by this arrogant bragging? What it says to me is "aren't we clever managing to screw money out of our guests?" I have recently made bids for a higher level verandah and these are still pending despite the website showing there aren't any available. I will stick to my old policy of being happy with what I chose originally.

• Like 1