St Croix & Tortola walk from pier

• brenderlou62 changed the title to St Croix & Tortola walk from pier

I've walked it a couple of times in St. Croix and I have a knee issue.  The town area itself is very compact and starts just at the end of the pier.  It's still much shorter than other ports such as Costa Maya.  We've never been to Tortola.

• Like 1

Oh, wow! Way off topic, but thanks for the memories! Many years ago, we lived in STX. We actually lived on the East End. We would drive across the island to Fredricksted for hair cuts, "real" fountain sodas, and night dives at the pier. Wendy's used to have a location there and it was the only place on the island where a fountain drink tasted like back home. You could walk down the pier and I remember looking up at a Royal ship and wished I was on it.

Have a great trip brenderlou62!

They usually have some vendors set up near the pier in St. Croix.  There are some local shops and a restaurant near the pier but not a lot.  Otherwise there isn't a lot close to the ship in St. Croix.

In my experience the street vendors in St. Croix are pretty chill.  It's not the typical aggressive vendor  approach so common in the Caribbean.   It's very enjoyable.  There is a small beach that is walkable if you don't have mobility issues.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

They usually have some vendors set up near the pier in St. Croix.  There are some local shops and a restaurant near the pier but not a lot.  Otherwise there isn't a lot close to the ship in St. Croix.

In my experience the street vendors in St. Croix are pretty chill.  It's not the typical aggressive vendor  approach so common in the Caribbean.   It's very enjoyable.  There is a small beach that is walkable if you don't have mobility issues.  

There's a fort and a small museum.  First time there we ate lunch upstairs at a bar/restaurant and I can't remember what it was called.  We just walked around and went into the fort and museum as well as checked out the few vendors.  Second time we did a tour to Christiansted.  Small narrow roads, a little shopping and a fort.  There really isn't a lot to see.   There were quite a few chickens and roosters wandering around.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I was just at St. Croix earlier this week. There are at least a half dozen restaurants/bars at the port. I know there are at least 6 because that is how many we went to on our self led pub crawl. 

It is a very short walk (Tortola is shorter) to both ports. St Croix has a lot of good restaurants/bars at the port. Tortola has a “boardwalk” area to the right when walking from the ship that has a dozen or so locations that sell food and/or alcohol. Like all ports they both have shops that sell souvenirs. 

I've been in St. Croix either 2 or 3 times in the last year. (Too lazy to look it up.) I love the walk around the docking area.  There's a lovely path along the sea with trees, shrubs, flowers, and benches.  It's a great place to relax and watch the ocean.  Plus, small shops and cafes are nearby, too.

Edited by pcur