Ships anchored off Miami

9 minutes ago, topnole said:

They won’t be making a noon flight either.   Poor taste saying this.  People have died in the accident causing this problem.  

Not really poor taste. There's a ton of people on those ships thinking the same thing, "am I getting home today?"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

From my experience, alcohol was surely involved.  (I did internship time with the USCG in Chicago and was involved in investigating boating accidents on the lakes.  Fair share of fatalities)  Boaters most likely figured they could cross in front of the ferry, and didn't calculate correctly.

I was thinking that but did not want to sound unkind and get flamed:

Alcohol and boats do not go well together.

thanks for explaining.

I hear the ports in Singapore and Thailand are quite hectic for cruise ships having to be careful

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cured said:

Sounds like this is going to be a long day for the cruise ships. According to marine traffic radio, the north channel remains closed due to the yacht that is sunk in the channel.  Someone on the Celebration just posted that they have been told they may have to divert to another port.

Ft Lauderdale is wide open.

gosh ripple affect will last 24 hours.

do tragic this story on many levels

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Ft Lauderdale is wide open.

gosh ripple affect will last 24 hours.

do tragic this story on many levels

Yes available but the logistics of moving disembarking passengers to Miami and the embarking passengers to Port Everglades could be a nightmare.   Lots of communication issues with both sets of passengers. 

38 minutes ago, topnole said:

They won’t be making a noon flight either.   Poor taste saying this.  People have died in the accident causing this problem.  

But realize thousands are affected getting off and those getting on and the ripple affect at airport so folks are thinking these thoughts even for evening flights now and how about folks in terminal will they have to find hotels now.

yes loss of life is said even if someone was careless

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bead Pirate said:

Looks like 2 pieces of hull are now recovered. Miami Port Authority is not providing any estimates of the cut reopening time.

Earlier, Coast guard told one ship (MSC ?) to expect the pilot at 3:30 

Just now, njkruzer said:

Yes available but the logistics of moving disembarking passengers to Miami and the embarking passengers to Port Everglades could be a nightmare.   Lots of communication issues with both sets of passengers. 

Yes it is a mess for sure and sad as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bead Pirate said:

Verified... MSC will be first of the cruise ships allowed in (pilot boarding at 15:00)

from what i heard it is the escape first then msc and finally carnival

• Like 2

Just now, cured said:

I have elevated respect, and my respect is already high, for the Coast Guard. They have incredible patience with the non-stop "is it open yet?"

its just like the incredible impatient kids that keep yelling "are we there yet?" in the car

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topnole said:

How was it poor taste? I'm not laughing at this tragic situation. What I'm saying is - every other day we see threads from people asking if incredibly tight travel times are possible, and my point is, rare delays like this DO happen.  No one is getting angry at the authorities or the victims.

• Like 5