NCL Stock OBC - Trying to Purchase Dining Package With $250 OBC?

IsanTom

I went into My Cruise to purchase additional dining package using my STOCK OBC $250, but they want me to enter a credit card. I want to use

OBC since it's Non-Refundable on board. How do I make the purchase using the OBC and avoiding the credit card request? Thanks

2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

unlike other cruise lines, obc can not be used in advance before sailing. you can only use the obc when you are onboard the ship

Wow! NCL is really difficult and the use of OBC is regulated in NCL's favor and not the cruiser. I'm use to dealing with Celebrity and Royal, which is our favorite cruise lines. I was 50/50 in needing additional specialty dining, so NCL made my decision easier. I don't need anymore!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

Wow! NCL is really difficult and the use of OBC is regulated in NCL's favor and not the cruiser. I'm use to dealing with Celebrity and Royal, which is our favorite cruise lines. I was 50/50 in needing additional specialty dining, so NCL made my decision easier. I don't need anymore!

I could be wrong but I don't remember being able to use OBC on Royal before boarding.

And, you can use your obc for specialty dining package as soon as you board.

It costs a few dollars more, but it's not outrageous. I'm considering doing the same.

1 minute ago, bkrickles1 said:

I could be wrong but I don't remember being able to use OBC on Royal before boarding.

It costs a few dollars more, but it's not outrageous. I'm considering doing the same.

Yes you can!  In November we were on the Brilliant of the Seas T/A and my Stock OBC $250

was on my account and I purchased WIFI and Chops Grill for Lunch. Also Stock OBC can be used for Gratuities. NCL not cruiser friendly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

To add specialty dining for the third guest is $118 if you pay before.  What is it if you wait and use OBC instead?

17 minutes ago, jcollin said:

To add specialty dining for the third guest is $118 if you pay before.  What is it if you wait and use OBC instead?

Actually, that might be the same before and after.

I was referring to the deal that I have on my reservation where I can buy 2 extra meals for $82pp for either my wife or I or both.

That is more after boarding, to the best of my knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Actually, that might be the same before and after.

I was referring to the deal that I have on my reservation where I can buy 2 extra meals for $82pp for either my wife or I or both.

That is more after boarding, to the best of my knowledge.

We didn't really want to buy 2 more specialty dinners but since our $250 stock OBC couldn't be used for gratuities and we don't buy much on the ship, we were going to spend on the dinners with the OBC, but apparently NCL won't let you. I guess we'll be stocking up on liquor to use up the non-refundable OBC. NCL is not cruiser friendly when it comes to OBC!

3 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

We didn't really want to buy 2 more specialty dinners but since our $250 stock OBC couldn't be used for gratuities and we don't buy much on the ship, we were going to spend on the dinners with the OBC, but apparently NCL won't let you. I guess we'll be stocking up on liquor to use up the non-refundable OBC. NCL is not cruiser friendly when it comes to OBC!

Are you saying that after you board you cannot use your $250 stock obc to purchase specialty dinner credits or, actually, pay for a meal with that obc $$?

I haven't seen that anywhere and I thought you could.

I have a $100 stock obc and planned on using it to supplement lunch at Food Republic on Joy when I sail in a few weeks.

I know that I can't use it before because it's called on board credit.

5 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Are you saying that after you board you cannot use your $250 stock obc to purchase specialty dinner credits or, actually, pay for a meal with that obc $$?

I haven't seen that anywhere and I thought you could.

I have a $100 stock obc and planned on using it to supplement lunch at Food Republic on Joy when I sail in a few weeks.

I know that I can't use it before because it's called on board credit.

If you buy the Specialty Dinners before you cruise. you save 30-40%. After you board you pay allot

more, but yes at that point you can use your OBC for restaurants and food, coffee, ect, but you pay more. 

10 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

If you buy the Specialty Dinners before you cruise. you save 30-40%. After you board you pay allot

more, but yes at that point you can use your OBC for restaurants and food, coffee, ect, but you pay more. 

I understand that some deals are better prior to sailing, but if you have $250 obc and you "don't buy much on the ship", why can't you just use it for the specialty dining after boarding?

You'd have enough to buy 5 meals, approximately.

And, they usually run some deals on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day etc.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

You'd have enough to buy 5 meals, approximately.

And, they usually run some deals on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day etc.

How many courses would you expect enjoy for $50? Most main courses are $30 and $40 plus a mandatory 20% service charge for your convenience and mine.

They do? We've never seen specials onboard. They do offer them pre cruise which is why the poster is trying to book the reservations now and use the credit onboard.

9 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

How many courses would you expect enjoy for $50? Most main courses are $30 and $40 plus a mandatory 20% service charge for your convenience and mine.

They do? We've never seen specials onboard. They do offer them pre cruise which is why the poster is trying to book the reservations now and use the credit onboard.

You've misunderstood me.

I was speaking of the specialty dining packages.

A 5 meal specialty dining package is $238pp. That's the price now and, I believe it's the same after you board.

That's 5 complete meals for one person.

Of course there are different combinations of these packages.

And, yes, I have seen deals on these packages advertised in the dailies.

I don't have specifics as I've never been interested.

I also don't spend much (if any) onboard, and yes it's pretty restrictive on using the stock OBC.  On my last cruise (my first with the stock OBC), I waited to upgrade the drink package once onboard.  The price is the same as doing it before sailing.  I wasn't interested in the extra dining or Internet, so doing the FAS+ was of no interest to me.  Just the drinks

in my experience, the "special" on meal packages is run only on days 1 and 2.

and, again, in my experience, the special equals the pre-cruise price.

there is usually a placard advertising this in front of the host stations at the local and the MDRs, sometimes the specialty restaurants.

Not food packages, but,,,,,

I've READ (not attempted,  although I will on next cruise in Nov 23)

You can purchase/prepay by CC --> NCL excursions, then...

once aboard, Cxl (for CC refund) and rebook excursion using OBC.

Effectively 'Holding your place' on the excursion.

Never READ anything comparable for meal packages.

2 minutes ago, leithbones said:

I've read people suggesting this also.  The risk you run is that there could be a waiting list for the excursion, so when you cancel it could go to the next person on the list.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, leithbones said:

If you cancel your excursion once ON BOARD, you will receive a "refundable" OBC, not a credit card refund. We've had pre-paid excursions cancelled for several reasons in the past and that is what happens.  We've booked other excursions or simply applied it to other on board purchases.

The last thing this OP needs is more OBC since they can't figure out how to use the $250 they already are getting as shareholders on a 15-day or greater cruise.

Here are some suggestions however:

- Buy some gifts or something for yourself from one of the stores.

- Travel with fewer clothes and take advantage of the laundry service

- Buy some bingo or scratch tickets and maybe you win something (unlikely, but heck worth a try)

- Enjoy a bottle of wine you would not normally drink

- Do some wine tastings

- Get a spa service of some kind

- Do a shot of Louis XIII

- Try a paid activity on the ship that you normally may not try (Go-carts, Galaxy Pavilion, or other attraction)

- Upgrade your dining package on the ship.

Lot's of options here to figure out how to take advantage of a $250 OBC! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

If you cancel your excursion once ON BOARD, you will receive a "refundable" OBC, not a credit card refund. We've had pre-paid excursions cancelled for several reasons in the past and that is what happens.  We've booked other excursions or simply applied it to other on board purchases.

The last thing this OP needs is more OBC since they can't figure out how to use the $250 they already are getting as shareholders on a 15-day or greater cruise.

- Buy some bingo or scratch tickets and maybe you win something (unlikely, but heck worth a try)

- Do some wine tastings

- Try a paid activity on the ship that you normally may not try (Go-carts, Galaxy Pavilion, or other attraction)

yes, you do get OBC if you cancel onboard.  You can get it back as cash on the last night though

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

- Do some wine tastings

Buy liquor and take it home!

i recently had an extraordinary amount of OBC. i wanted to buy liquor and i did buy one bottle. the problem is duty... many countries have limits on what you can bring in. now, in practical terms, nobody is going to care much if you have two or three bottles when you disembark intended for your personal use.  besides, few people are ever stopped when they go through the "green" channel. but, technically, there are limits.

and, unless you're arriving in a port that happens to be your home city, you still have to get on a plane, on which you can not take your liquor purchases. so, you have to carefully wrap them in clothing or bubble wrap you've brought along for the purpose and put them in your checked baggage. so, buy liquor onboard? sure... indulge and get a $300 bottle of johnny walker blue or mccallan enigma. but buy six or seven bottles of "regular" spirits... not so much. the logistics are daunting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i recently had an extraordinary amount of OBC. i wanted to buy liquor and i did buy one bottle. the problem is duty... many countries have limits on what you can bring in. now, in practical terms, nobody is going to care much if you have two or three bottles when you disembark intended for your personal use.  besides, few people are ever stopped when they go through the "green" channel. but, technically, there are limits.

and, unless you're arriving in a port that happens to be your home city, you still have to get on a plane, on which you can not take your liquor purchases. so, you have to carefully wrap them in clothing or bubble wrap you've brought along for the purpose and put them in your checked baggage. so, buy liquor onboard? sure... indulge and get a $300 bottle of johnny walker blue or mccallan enigma. but buy six or seven bottles of "regular" spirits... not so much. the logistics are daunting.

Luckily, I will rent a car at the port! 

8 hours ago, leithbones said:

I wish I had done this.m I have OBC & wanted to buy an expensive tour with it, now tour is sold out. How do they handle the $50 shore excursion credit when you cancel & re-book?