Grand Central Station to Pier 88

Tutone56

1 minute ago, Tutone56 said:

Has anyone ever taken a cab or Uber from GCS to Pier 88?.  Just curious of the approximate cost? I’m thinking about doing that in September for our cruise on NCL Escape.  Thanks.

I haven't done the trip, but the Uber website's fare estimator at https://www.uber.com/global/en/price-estimate/ is giving an estimate of $36 to $39 for an UberX.

45 minutes ago, Tutone56 said:

Has anyone ever taken a cab or Uber from GCS to Pier 88?

To avoid confusion, it is best to use the acronym GCT, or the name Grand Central Terminal, when referring to the railroad terminal used by Metro-North Commuter Railroad. ("Grand Central Station" is the name of the post office next to GCT, and the name of a former railroad station in Chicago; "Grand Central" is the name of the subway stations below GCT.)

If the weather is pleasant, and you're not overloaded with baggage, you might to consider walking. It is about one-half hour distant.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKfuvMzVKdx2YHcOvfmyQ

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I haven't done the trip, but the Uber website's fare estimator at https://www.uber.com/global/en/price-estimate/ is giving an estimate of $36 to $39 for an UberX.

That sounds too high. It’s only 2 miles. I just checked and it’s 24.97 for Uber X now. That seems better. It all depends on the weather and day of the week and time of day. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

... It’s only 2 miles. I just checked and it’s 24.97 for Uber X now. That seems better. It all depends on the weather and day of the week and time of day. 

OP, apparently sailing NE/Canada this September on NCL (Escape) on a holiday weekend / Sunday - traffic should be light and there's usually a long line of licensed yellow taxi just outside on E. 42nd Street waiting ... it's an easy & quick trip across town.  For 2 or 3 travelers with average sized luggage, it will all fit easily, my guest - as it will be a metered fare based mostly on distance - for a 10 minutes (or less) ride, about $20 to $25 plus tips.  

Just check Lyft's lowest rates for post evening rush hour ... ranged $19 to $21, theirs typically slightly lower than Uber - plus, tipping as "encouraged" on the app.  10 ... 15, 20+ years ago, I wouldn't rule out walking 2 miles with a carry-on rollerboard w sturdy wheels and cabin/backbag in tow to save a few bucks myself, doubtful that DW would go along with that idea - nowadays, forgetaboutit, LOL.  

Slightly off-topic but this will come up here on E.C. Departures sub-forum:  NYC's (Manhattan) Congestion Pricing surcharge is apparently getting the final green lights from the feds ... and, depending on how MTA figured out who, how much, exemption rules, etc. in the formulas - it will be another bite coming into the NY (NY County) affecting many cruisers using taxis and for hired vehicles (car service, Uber & Lyft, etc.) 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 8:55 PM, Bunny620 said:

Hello All. My husband and I are booked for this cruise. It’s just our third cruise but the second one in two years. We did a Mediterranean cruise last summer. We live in the NYC area and are looking forward to just getting an Uber to the pier. Also looking forward to seeing Maine and Canada! Hoping for great weather!!

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

OP, apparently sailing NE/Canada this September on NCL (Escape) on a holiday weekend / Sunday - traffic should be light and there's usually a long line of licensed yellow taxi just outside on E. 42nd Street waiting ... it's an easy & quick trip across town.  For 2 or 3 travelers with average sized luggage, it will all fit easily, my guest - as it will be a metered fare based mostly on distance - for a 10 minutes (or less) ride, about $20 to $25 plus tips.  

Just check Lyft's lowest rates for post evening rush hour ... ranged $19 to $21, theirs typically slightly lower than Uber - plus, tipping as "encouraged" on the app.  10 ... 15, 20+ years ago, I wouldn't rule out walking 2 miles with a carry-on rollerboard w sturdy wheels and cabin/backbag in tow to save a few bucks myself, doubtful that DW would go along with that idea - nowadays, forgetaboutit, LOL.  

Slightly off-topic but this will come up here on E.C. Departures sub-forum:  NYC's (Manhattan) Congestion Pricing surcharge is apparently getting the final green lights from the feds ... and, depending on how MTA figured out who, how much, exemption rules, etc. in the formulas - it will be another bite coming into the NY (NY County) affecting many cruisers using taxis and for hired vehicles (car service, Uber & Lyft, etc.) 

Thank you, great information. You were spot on regarding walking by the way 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

NYC's (Manhattan) Congestion Pricing surcharge is apparently getting the final green lights from the feds ... and, depending on how MTA figured out who, how much, exemption rules, etc. * * *

Part of that discussion on congestion pricing will be happening on Tuesday afternoon in the first panel of the bus conference being held by the New York City Bar Association, "The Role of the Private Bus in Congestion Mitigation & Pricing Plans." http://services.nycbar.org/EventDetail?EventKey=TRAN062723 The bus companies serving New York City are concerned about fees being imposed on the many companies that provide public transportation in and out of Manhattan (and who would pass the cost on the bus passengers in the form of higher fares). The irony of this cannot be understated.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

10 ... 15, 20+ years ago, I wouldn't rule out walking 2 miles with a carry-on rollerboard w sturdy wheels and cabin/backbag in tow to save a few bucks myself, doubtful that DW would go along with that idea - nowadays, forgetaboutit, LOL.

I hope that day will never come for me! Indeed, having my visited my doctor last week for my annual physical, she said I should try to walk more, aiming for a few miles each day.

26 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Just a note. Your profile says you're in RI. How are you getting to NYC? Amtrak goes to Penn Station (or whatever it's called now), not Grand Central. To go in to Grand Central, you would need to take Metro North in CT.

I would take Metro North out of New Haven, CT to Grand Central.

• Like 2

Taxi rates have gone up lately. There's a taxi line right outside Grand Central Terminal on 42nd Street. The cost of a cab would run approximately $30. If you're taking the cab earlier in the morning it will probably be five or six dollars cheaper as the traffic will be much lighter on a weekend morning. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tutone56 said:

While you might save a little on the train fare, changing from Amtrak to MetroNorth at Stamford strikes me as more hassle than it could possibly be worth. Taxi fare (probably the best option in Manhattan) to MCT from either train station is likely to be pretty similar.

• Like 1

Not to mention Amtrak two by two with recline seating facing in the direction of travel is way better than Metro North 2 by 3 seating that half the car faces in the wrong direction. 

Amtrak also will have Red Cap service and for the price of a tip, they can take your bags up an elevator from track level to the street. (Okay GCT there are no stairs on weekends you won't arrive on the lower level). 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, Tutone56 said:

A good plan, given the greater regularity of service provided by Metro-North Commuter Railroad, compared to Amtrak, and the flexibility to be able to adjust your travel plans on the fly without the hassle of having to deal with the reservations that Amtrak requires.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GTJ said:

A good plan, given the greater regularity of service provided by Metro-North Commuter Railroad, compared to Amtrak, and the flexibility to be able to adjust your travel plans on the fly without the hassle of having to deal with the reservations that Amtrak requires.

You are discussing transportation of someone coming from Rhode Island —which means at least half of his trip will have to be on Amtrak — while coming into NYC on MetroNorth May be preferable, you have to crank in the hassle/ time involved in changing, either in New Haven or Stamford.