Underseat bag

katmu

I need a new underseat, or personal item bag.  I generally fly on Delta.  My next cruise in February will be out of Barcelona and ending in Rome where I will have a few days on both ends of the cruise in hotels.  I have another cruise booked to Alaska next summer.  I will be taking another carry-on size suitcase for both of these trips.  I have been using my work backpack but I would like something a bit more structured that could hold at least a day or two’s worth of clothes.  

1 hour ago, katmu said:

I need a new underseat, or personal item bag.  I generally fly on Delta.  My next cruise in February will be out of Barcelona and ending in Rome where I will have a few days on both ends of the cruise in hotels.  I have another cruise booked to Alaska next summer.  I will be taking another carry-on size suitcase for both of these trips.  I have been using my work backpack but I would like something a bit more structured that could hold at least a day or two’s worth of clothes.  

I am the queen of searching for the perfect carry-on bag, lol. I can give you some ideas but can you say a bit more about what you mean by "structured"? Do you want it to be a backpack? Do you want to attach it to your other carry-on? Do you want it to have wheels?

As I'm sure you know, having a bag that's too structured can sometimes mean that it just won't fit under your seat (unless you are always front of the plane). I am amazed at how often there is something under the seat in front of me that keeps passengers from utilizing the full space -- usually the in-flight entertainment box. 🙄

• Like 1

I think my biggest complaint with the backpack is the shape.  It’s sloped at the top so I feel that I’m losing a fair amount of space.  I do use packing cubes so those help a bit with the structure. If the underseat bag had wheels, I would carry a smaller travel backpack for my other bag as I don’t really want two bags with wheels.  I would like the option of being able to attach the two bags together somehow.  Overall, I am working on packing even lighter than I have in the past. I know I don’t want a hard shell precisely because I often take the aisle seat, and the aisle seats are more likely to have some sort of obstruction under the seat.

2 hours ago, katmu said:

You might want to post this on the "Air" section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

That should get the attention of those who fly a lot. 🙂 

GC

Thanks for the additional info. The "Mother Lode" backpack/carry-on by eBags has a lot going for it and might meet your specs. It is a backpack, but it doesn't have the sloping top and is designed to be packed more like a suitcase. The regular version is pretty large but the junior version should fit underseat:

Original:  https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bags/travel-backpacks/mother-lode-travel-backpack/117754XXXX.html

Junior:  https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bags/travel-backpacks/mother-lode-jr-travel-backpack/117769XXXX.html?dwvar_117769XXXX_color=Pine Green&cgidmaster=mother-lode

They have an underseat wheeled version too, but it sounds like that wouldn't be your first choice....

• Like 4

I have several that I use/have used.  The largest is the Motherlode jr. backpack by ebags.  It is expandable, has a lot of pockets.  It is easy to pack too much into it, but it has always fit under an aisle seat.  I also have a couple of backpacks from Luglife that are smaller and have what they call a trolley sleeve across the back so you can slide it down over the handle of your rollaboard.  They also make it in a packable version that holds the same amount of stuff and doubles as excursion/beach bag.  EM

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for the additional info. The "Mother Lode" backpack/carry-on by eBags has a lot going for it and might meet your specs. It is a backpack, but it doesn't have the sloping top and is designed to be packed more like a suitcase. The regular version is pretty large but the junior version should fit underseat:

Original:  https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bags/travel-backpacks/mother-lode-travel-backpack/117754XXXX.html

Junior:  https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bags/travel-backpacks/mother-lode-jr-travel-backpack/117769XXXX.html?dwvar_117769XXXX_color=Pine Green&cgidmaster=mother-lode

They have an underseat wheeled version too, but it sounds like that wouldn't be your first choice....

I see we have the same taste!

• Like 1

Another, similar option is Patagonia's so-called MLC line of bags (MLC stands for "Maximum Legal Carry-on", lol.)  They come in two sizes like the Mother Lode bags -- a larger one for bin storage and a smaller (30 L) one for underseat. 

I bought one of their earlier-generation MLC bags (larger size) and loved it. It saw me through a lot of trips where I was combining land travel through Europe on trains and flights with a cruise at the beginning or end. They are sturdy and easy to pack, especially if you use cubes (I don't, long story...). The one I have has fewer "organization" features and more of what I like -- just a lot of open packing space.

Here's a link to the smaller one:   https://www.patagonia.com/product/black-hole-mini-mlc-convertible-backpack-30-liters/49266.html

Mrs Ldubs just picked up a Samsonite Underseater.  It has four wheels and also the trolley sleeve**.  It is not as large as a carryon that would go in the overhead, but looks like a decent option for under the seat.

BTW, the something under the seat in front of me that keeps me from using the space is my feet!  😀

** Thanks @Essiesmom for sharing the term "trolley sleeve".  I never knew what to call that.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

High Sierra has some nice backpacks.  I have one that I have used for years, wheeled, clamshell style and expandable.  Rollaboard.  I think I bought it in Marshall’s.  Its wheels lost their tires,  up still work.  It just went on a road trip last month.  They only model they currently have that is close only has a single handle, I prefer double handle so I can slide the backpack over it.  EM

11x19x9.  Cotopaxi Allpa 28L bag.  I used to have the Mother load series bags but I am now in love with Cotopaxi.  I go with ”Del Dia” ones so I can pick colors - no one confuses them with theirs!  I did my month in Europe with the 35L last year.  The 28 I use as my weekend bag and my camping bag.
https://www.cotopaxi.com/products/allpa-28l-travel-pack?variant=39552908230717

Thank you for the great suggestions.  The ebags Motherlode jr, Patagonia MLC 30 liter and Cotopaxi are all about the size I’m looking for.  I’m going to try to get to REI and Luggage World tomorrow and take a look at a few.  I know they won’t have the ebags but hopefully I can look at a few others.  

I might also look at a smaller roller bag like the Samsonite or a couple of the Travelpro ones that are 19” or under. I know TravelPro also still makes ones with 2 wheels but I want to try them both to see what I prefer.  

40 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

**The one I have has fewer "organization" features and more of what I like -- just a lot of open packing space.** 

I doubt if I've ever used any of the built-in features of any bag, far easier to customize the thing.  As long as it has a couple of zipped outside pox, I can make it work perfectly all by myself.  I've used a completely unstructured (except for outside zipped pox) weightless Rick Steves backpack for about a hundred years.  I just hook it on to my roller bag with a small nylon dog collar.  It's some kind of indestructible fabric, and it still looks good.  If it's packed correctly, it forms its own structure.   Other than good advice here, personal bags can usually only be evaluated after you've used them on several trips.  Like finding shoes you can wear all day, it gets expensive.

4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Don’t bypass places like TJ MAXX, Marshall’s, Burlington, and dept. store luggage dept.  my best hard side roller bag was steeply discounted at a dept. store.  EM

There’s a TJ Max and Marshalls near Luggage World so I’m planning to stop there on my outing tomorrow.

Burlington and and the mall will probably have to wait until Sunday.  I have time until my first trip so I want to look at my options.

23 hours ago, katmu said:

Thank you for the great suggestions.  The ebags Motherlode jr, Patagonia MLC 30 liter and Cotopaxi are all about the size I’m looking for.  I’m going to try to get to REI and Luggage World tomorrow and take a look at a few.  I know they won’t have the ebags but hopefully I can look at a few others.  

I might also look at a smaller roller bag like the Samsonite or a couple of the Travelpro ones that are 19” or under. I know TravelPro also still makes ones with 2 wheels but I want to try them both to see what I prefer.  

REI may have the Patagonia and Cotopaxi.   They are having a sale now, so happy hunting!

• Like 2

On 7/1/2023 at 12:54 PM, slidergirl said:

REI may have the Patagonia and Cotopaxi.   They are having a sale now, so happy hunting!

Well, I was partially successful yesterday.  REI did not have the Patagonia in stock but the time I made it there after taking my car in for service, and then stopping by Luggage World and TJ Max but they did have the Cotopaxi.  I liked the size but the colors are a bit too loud for me.  I do see that online it comes in an all black version.  I’ve ordered the  top three contenders for the backpack to try out at home.  I’ll report back if I go with the eBags, Cotopaxi or Patagonia.

For the smaller roller bag, I ended up liking this one instead of the spinners.  I tried probably 10 different spinners from TravelPro, Briggs & Riley, Samonsite, and a couple of other brand I’m not remembering.  The store had an area where the carpet transitioned to tile with a lip and the rollers didn’t seem to handle that well, so I can’t imagine them doing well in Europe.  

https://travelpro.com/collections/platinum®-elite-soft-side-collection/products/platinum®-elite-regional-carry-on-rollaboard®

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katmu said:

Well, I was partially successful yesterday.  REI did not have the Patagonia in stock but the time I made it there after taking my car in for service, and then stopping by Luggage World and TJ Max but they did have the Cotopaxi.  I liked the size but the colors are a bit too loud for me.  I do see that online it comes in an all black version.  I’ve ordered the  top three contenders for the backpack to try out at home.  I’ll report back if I go with the eBags, Cotopaxi or Patagonia.

For the smaller roller bag, I ended up liking this one instead of the spinners.  I tried probably 10 different spinners from TravelPro, Briggs & Riley, Samonsite, and a couple of other brand I’m not remembering.  The store had an area where the carpet transitioned to tile with a lip and the rollers didn’t seem to handle that well, so I can’t imagine them doing well in Europe.  

https://travelpro.com/collections/platinum®-elite-soft-side-collection/products/platinum®-elite-regional-carry-on-rollaboard®

I like the Cotopaxi because of the colors.  No one can mistake it for theirs😉. Plus the colors make me smile.  
Working in hotels, I’ve had a lot of experience with spinners.  Personally I can’t stand them.  I end up doing them like a two wheeler.  I took one on a trip and it bounced and tipped all the time, usually bouncing on my sneakers.  Big black marks where it happened.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I like the Cotopaxi because of the colors.  No one can mistake it for theirs😉. Plus the colors make me smile.  
Working in hotels, I’ve had a lot of experience with spinners.  Personally I can’t stand them.  I end up doing them like a two wheeler.  I took one on a trip and it bounced and tipped all the time, usually bouncing on my sneakers.  Big black marks where it happened.  

I can appreciate the colors, for more extroverted people.  I am generally the sort of person when picking out clothes that would ask “Does that come in navy?”.  Black is the backup choice as everything seems to come in black.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, katmu said:

I can appreciate the colors, for more extroverted people.  I am generally the sort of person when picking out clothes that would ask “Does that come in navy?”.  Black is the backup choice as everything seems to come in black.

Very Minnesotan and I get it. I have one sport coat that is yellow and only wear it on vacation, I can't imagine wearing it here in MN.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

If you are flying in Europe, be sure to look at airline luggage limits as some will weigh your hand luggage or measure for size.

For my trip in February, I will have one non-Delta flight on KLM.  It will actually be my first time flying business including the flight from AMS to BCN on KLM.  KLM has the following for allowances on their website for business which are a bit more generous than for economy.  I should be well under that.

In Business Class, you’re always allowed to bring:

2 items of hand baggage, each with a maximum size of 55 x 35 x 25 cm including handles and wheels;

1 accessory (such as a small handbag or laptop bag) with a maximum size of 40 x 30 x 15 cm.

Your hand baggage can have a combined weight of up to 18 kg.

I do sometimes fly economy airlines in Europe like easyjet, but in those cases I prepay to check my second bag.  

Totally not structured, but this is my choice for undersea bag. Allegiant Airlines Personal Item Bag 7x15x16 Foldable Travel Duffel Bag Tote Carry on Luggage 

it couldn't be lighter or more adaptable to underseat sizes and shapes. It holds a lot more than you would think, it has a sleeve to carry on top of carryon, I typically have at least two changes of clothes, minimal grooming items, small purse, neck pillow and any in-flight needs like snacks. Amazon sells it for $9.99image.thumb.png.df99027a18ba0527435ef36460197f25.png

Edited by herbanrenewal
sp
  • Like 2

I had mine custom made. It's made of recycled firehose and is a messenger style. Because the hose if so durable I can do anything to it and it won't be damaged. I used the airline specs to maked sure it was the perfect size, had them add the interior pockets I wanted plus a strap on the back so it can slip onto my roller bag. It was the best investment and was less than $200 Canadian.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I had mine custom made. It's made of recycled firehose and is a messenger style. Because the hose if so durable I can do anything to it and it won't be damaged. I used the airline specs to maked sure it was the perfect size, had them add the interior pockets I wanted plus a strap on the back so it can slip onto my roller bag. It was the best investment and was less than $200 Canadian.

Cool!  Can you post a photo and tell us who made it for you?