Excursion ideas / things to see for the Caribbean

Presto2

15 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Any others that 'stick out'. Then again hubby has said the beaches there are amazing ........

Feel like a newbie with this cruise as have never been to this part of the world at all and have no idea what I am planning.

Suppose it means we have to go back if I make mistakes 😉

For beaches

Bus to Grand Anse, Grenada

Taxi to Spice Club, Bonaire

Share minibus to Carambola Beach Club, St Kitts ( or day trip to Nevis)

Taxi to Boatyard (expensive and crowded) or Harbour Lights (cheaper and quieter) in Barbados

More to Caribbean than great beaches though, especially if new to the area.

Enjoy your trip.

• Thanks 1

Tours are easy to arrange on the dock there are plenty of taxis drivers and small coach operators touting for business. Rather than taking a taxi for two if it’s a popular tour (around the island etc) ask to share you get a better view from a twelve seater van (mini bus) than a car, As people stream off the ship normally it does not take long to get a small group together. The beaches are normally away from the port (Philipsburg is walkable) but there will be lots transport available a lot cheaper than the P&O transfers.

We made the mistake the first time we went to the Caribbean to thinking we would look around the town first then maybe do a tour but when we returned  the tours were no longer been offered.   P&O warns that the ship will not wait except for their tours but if it’s docked for eight hours then doing a three to four hour tour in the morning then the risk is minimal IMHO.

The Sugar train has been mentioned which we agree is good but not normally available independently, on a subsequent visit we did a trip around the island because we wished to visit Brimstone fort, whereas the return from the train trip does not stop on the way back. St Maarten/Martin The Ship docks in the Dutch section, a tour can be taken around the island to visit the French section main resort Marigot and beach at the end of the runway at the main (Dutch) airport, the planes start arriving after 11:00 we were told.

We have not visited the Caribbean for a few years but others will say if things have changed now.

P1170494.JPG

• Thanks 1

Fellow brit here, living in St Kitts for 15yrs.

You are going to love our island. We have so much history and great local people

You are visiting ports with better beaches (not that ours are bad, but others are better) so I would stay land based and enjoy the island.

You will appreciate that this is very much a "no hassle" type of place, our vendors want your business, yes  but not to the level of almost aggressive bullying you can find elsewhere.

For island information that is bias free try this site  St kitts tourist information

For tours and local journeys we have many good family companies Like this one.

Above all relax and enjoy, in St Kitts we " rush slowly"

Carib is the local beer, comes in Pilsner (light), regular and "Blue", Blue is falling down water 8% proof.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

we did a tour with Cosol in St Lucia (already mentioned). It was excellent, a full day with lunch provided. A pick-up truck followed us around with drinks every time we stopped! We saw the Pitons, snorkelled, went to a waterfall and mud baths, banana plantation etc. 

Sadly the guy who ran it then was killed a couple of years ago but it seems to be still running and getting excellent reviews. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to those of you who have been helping with this - it has been a great help to have your views and those of the exclusive little group on our Roll Call. We've booked some excursions now but still have gaps. Any thoughts like, "This looks fab" or "That's a waste of money" all appreciated !

Barbados - embark   

Sea day
Curacao                         Thinking of DIY - beach and aquarium and explore ourselves
Bonaire                           Hire a golf buggy and explore - must see the donkeys!

Sea day
St Vincent                       Bequia island - transfer all day P&O
St Lucia                           Aerial tram in the morning - P&O
Grenada                          Not sure yet

Sea day
St Kitts                            Panoramic tour then beach stay option (book with local company)

Antigua                           Catamaran all day cruise / swim along the coast - P&O
St Maarten                      Not sure yet

Sea day
Barbados                         4 x 4 island adventure and a beach break all day - P&O / evening out?
Barbados - disembark     Try to hide in a life boat

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Many thanks to those of you who have been helping with this - it has been a great help to have your views and those of the exclusive little group on our Roll Call. We've booked some excursions now but still have gaps. Any thoughts like, "This looks fab" or "That's a waste of money" all appreciated !

Barbados - embark   

Sea day
Curacao                         Thinking of DIY - beach and aquarium and explore ourselves
Bonaire                           Hire a golf buggy and explore - must see the donkeys!

Sea day

Sea day
St Kitts                            Panoramic tour then beach stay option (book with local company)

Antigua                           Catamaran all day cruise / swim along the coast - P&O

Sea day
Barbados                         4 x 4 island adventure and a beach break all day - P&O / evening out?

Just shows how different we all are. We went to the Caribbean and didn’t visit a single beach! Don’t like beaches or swimming!! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Barbados - embark   

Sea day

Sea day

Sea day

Sea day

Did you get on the Antigua catamaran  cruise?  It showed sold out when we looked. 

I personally didn't rate the beaches in Curacao, they are quite rocky and msn made.  If you like swimming with wildlife the P&O trip that goes to the fishing village for you to swim with wild turtles is good, they also take you to a beach for a couple of hours and to see the flamingos.

Grenada has amazing Grand Anse beach. You can get the ferry across to it from just outside the port gates. Otherwise some quieter ones can be taken to by local taxis.  All the prices in Grenada for the local tours are government controlled and you can pay in the terminal and be taken to your minibus.

St Vincent - are you doing Bequia with lunch or just the transfer.

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Did you get on the Antigua catamaran  cruise?  It showed sold out when we looked. 

I personally didn't rate the beaches in Curacao, they are quite rocky and msn made.  If you like swimming with wildlife the P&O trip that goes to the fishing village for you to swim with wild turtles is good, they also take you to a beach for a couple of hours and to see the flamingos.

Grenada has amazing Grand Anse beach. You can get the ferry across to it from just outside the port gates. Otherwise some quieter ones can be taken to by local taxis.  All the prices in Grenada for the local tours are government controlled and you can pay in the terminal and be taken to your minibus.

St Vincent - are you doing Bequia with lunch or just the transfer.

We got the catamaran one as the excursions rep on Britannia on May said to book it asap!

Thanks re Curaçao so will have another look:-)

Grenada we are thinking of having a explore at your own pace day but will look now!

St Vincent .. think it is just the transfer but can't remember. Someone on the roll call recommended it. Will have to double check but it may just be a transfer and DIY

32 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Just shows how different we all are. We went to the Caribbean and didn’t visit a single beach! Don’t like beaches or swimming!! 

Think I just love Death in Paradise and want to see a beach like that. Love the sea ... hubby thinks I'll be in beach heaven 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

We got the catamaran one as the excursions rep on Britannia on May said to book it asap!

Thanks re Curaçao so will have another look:-)

Grenada we are thinking of having a explore at your own pace day but will look now!

St Vincent .. think it is just the transfer but can't remember. Someone on the roll call recommended it. Will have to double check but it may just be a transfer and DIY

I hope you get Wadali Cats.  They were far superior to Mystic Cruises in our opinion as the crew are very much.more interactive. I wear my "crew" shirt every time I go to Antigua. It's a nice day out we've done it every year up until 2022.  Despite all the countless visits to Antigua we'd never been to a beach for the day so did that last year.   Thinking of maybe the half day boat trip this time and some relaxing time on board.

We aren't doing many excursions this year though, just our absolute favourite in Bonaire on the catamaran out to the national park. We love it because it's under sail rather than.engine.

Be prepared that a lot of these places are pretty shoddy immediately outside the port which can be a bit off putting.  We arrived in St Kitts last year to a big local.festival and a lot of people for some obscure reason got ver nervous because of the noise,!

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I hope you get Wadali Cats.  They were far superior to Mystic Cruises in our opinion as the crew are very much.more interactive. I wear my "crew" shirt every time I go to Antigua. It's a nice day out we've done it every year up until 2022.  Despite all the countless visits to Antigua we'd never been to a beach for the day so did that last year.   Thinking of maybe the half day boat trip this time and some relaxing time on board.

We aren't doing many excursions this year though, just our absolute favourite in Bonaire on the catamaran out to the national park. We love it because it's under sail rather than.engine.

Be prepared that a lot of these places are pretty shoddy immediately outside the port which can be a bit off putting.  We arrived in St Kitts last year to a big local.festival and a lot of people for some obscure reason got ver nervous because of the noise,!

Having landed in Naples many times for a holiday we will go expecting the worst! 

Getting excited now .... 

Re the noise complaints.. what !!!!!! Its like moaning about the rum punch being strong !!!

Edited by Presto2

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Having landed in Naples many times for a holiday we will go expecting the worst! 

Getting excited now .... 

Re the noise complaints.. what !!!!!! Its like moaning about the rum punch being strong !!!

Naples is like Eden compared with St Vincent on a rainy day!

What I meant was get outside of the immediate areas around the ports because most of them are pretty crummy immediately outside. The beaches, volcanic landscapes and the rainforests etc are the beauty of these places along with some great flora and fauna.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Naples is like Eden compared with St Vincent on a rainy day!

What I meant was get outside of the immediate areas around the ports because most of them are pretty crummy immediately outside. The beaches, volcanic landscapes and the rainforests etc are the beauty of these places along with some great flora and fauna.

Just checking YouTube now re places. 

Think we will be doing some excursions half day and then time to wander. I can't see this being our last visit tbh .......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2023 at 8:24 PM, mystkittsdivebuddy said:

Fellow brit here, living in St Kitts for 15yrs.

You are going to love our island. We have so much history and great local people

You are visiting ports with better beaches (not that ours are bad, but others are better) so I would stay land based and enjoy the island.

You will appreciate that this is very much a "no hassle" type of place, our vendors want your business, yes  but not to the level of almost aggressive bullying you can find elsewhere.

For island information that is bias free try this site  St kitts tourist information

For tours and local journeys we have many good family companies Like this one.

Above all relax and enjoy, in St Kitts we " rush slowly"

Carib is the local beer, comes in Pilsner (light), regular and "Blue", Blue is falling down water 8% proof.

Is the "dollar bar" still open next to the cruise port gates ? Have the prices gone up ? Thank you

On 7/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, Bill Y said:

We made the mistake the first time we went to the Caribbean to thinking we would look around the town first then maybe do a tour but when we returned  the tours were no longer been offered.

I found that interesting, as we were thinking of looking around the local area independently in the morning and, if we still felt that we wanted to see more, get a taxi in the afternoon. However, we wouldn’t want to do long tours, just maybe a couple of hours max. Do you think that we’d be able to do that, or do the taxis disappear completely in the afternoons? 

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I found that interesting, as we were thinking of looking around the local area independently in the morning and, if we still felt that we wanted to see more, get a taxi in the afternoon. However, we wouldn’t want to do long tours, just maybe a couple of hours max. Do you think that we’d be able to do that, or do the taxis disappear completely in the afternoons? 

As most islands depend heavily on tourists for their economy there is normally a lot of taxis and tour operators at or outside the ports to meet people getting off the ships, holding maps and photos selling tours, Some are owner drivers others are selling for a company/ group of drivers, as mentioned in post #27 there are a variety of vehicles available. When we have returned at lunch time this activity has normally ceased. There will be taxis available in the town which will take you where you wish, but for ideas, comparing tours and prices and to find a suitable vehicle, suggest that you will fare better braving the masses as people pour off yours and others ships. Most tours are only a few hours and back about lunch time leaving the afternoon free if you wish to explore the port and not risk being late back. Some ports you may find there is enough to see and do in the town without taking a tour. I understand your wish to look around first, we now do some research and listen to the port lectures which sadly I believe are no more to decide if there are any must do places to visit or plenty to see and do within walking distance then decide if we wish to do a tour whether a P&O excursion (if it was an all day one) or try our luck on the morning.

We have not been to the Caribbean for some years as we are not sunbathers and feel all Caribbeaned out. Other will no doubt add to this.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bill Y said:

As most islands depend heavily on tourists for their economy there is normally a lot of taxis and tour operators at or outside the ports to meet people getting off the ships, holding maps and photos selling tours, Some are owner drivers others are selling for a company/ group of drivers, as mentioned in post #27 there are a variety of vehicles available. When we have returned at lunch time this activity has normally ceased. There will be taxis available in the town which will take you where you wish, but for ideas, comparing tours and prices and to find a suitable vehicle, suggest that you will fare better braving the masses as people pour off yours and others ships. Most tours are only a few hours and back about lunch time leaving the afternoon free if you wish to explore the port and not risk being late back. Some ports you may find there is enough to see and do in the town without taking a tour. I understand your wish to look around first, we now do some research and listen to the port lectures which sadly I believe are no more to decide if there are any must do places to visit or plenty to see and do within walking distance then decide if we wish to do a tour whether a P&O excursion (if it was an all day one) or try our luck on the morning.

We have not been to the Caribbean for some years as we are not sunbathers and feel all Caribbeaned out. Other will no doubt add to this.

That’s good advice. Many thanks. Can you (or anyone else) recall what the approximate cost is for a couple of hours taxi tour? I appreciate it will vary by island, but a ball park idea would be useful. 

8 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That’s good advice. Many thanks. Can you (or anyone else) recall what the approximate cost is for a couple of hours taxi tour? I appreciate it will vary by island, but a ball park idea would be useful. 

Think it's pretty negotiable depending how far you want to go and what you want to do

But always seem to be good deals to be had

And the taxi drivers always seem to have good ideas about a route/agenda that will appeal

Would be even better if you paired up with another couple on board the ship of course (which often happens - especially I imagine on long cruises)

I remember a couple of times being on minibus tours where 12 of us went together (strangers) and we actually helped promote the trip to others coming off the cruise to fill our minibus - we actually made friends with a couple who we carried on going on tours with doing this

Plenty of people only want morning trips meaning there should also be taxis arriving back lunchtime onwards that can offer you short trips in the afternoon

Pricewise I just remember prices were attractive and always seemed good value. But couldn't quote you. Cheaper than the ship excursions 

(Prices will likely all be in my old live from Arvia thread though)

How easy is it for your wife to get into a taxi etc with her disability?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

28 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Think it's pretty negotiable depending how far you want to go and what you want to do

But always seem to be good deals to be had

And the taxi drivers always seem to have good ideas about a route/agenda that will appeal

Would be even better if you paired up with another couple on board the ship of course (which often happens - especially I imagine on long cruises)

I remember a couple of times being on minibus tours where 12 of us went together (strangers) and we actually helped promote the trip to others coming off the cruise to fill our minibus - we actually made friends with a couple who we carried on going on tours with doing this

Plenty of people only want morning trips meaning there should also be taxis arriving back lunchtime onwards that can offer you short trips in the afternoon

Pricewise I just remember prices were attractive and always seemed good value. But couldn't quote you. Cheaper than the ship excursions 

(Prices will likely all be in my old live from Arvia thread though)

How easy is it for your wife to get into a taxi etc with her disability?

Many thanks. We have an SUV that my wife can transfer into from her wheelchair (bit of a struggle). She definitely couldn’t step up into a vehicle, so I’m guessing a minibus wouldn’t be an option (from memory a step up is needed?). We used a taxi that was an estate car in Copenhagen recently and with help from me I got her in and out of the front passenger seat. I guess that the ideal transport would be a small SUV but I’ve no idea whether or not taxi drivers use those in the Caribbean / Central America?

51 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Many thanks. We have an SUV that my wife can transfer into from her wheelchair (bit of a struggle). She definitely couldn’t step up into a vehicle, so I’m guessing a minibus wouldn’t be an option (from memory a step up is needed?). We used a taxi that was an estate car in Copenhagen recently and with help from me I got her in and out of the front passenger seat. I guess that the ideal transport would be a small SUV but I’ve no idea whether or not taxi drivers use those in the Caribbean / Central America?

I'm sure you will find some options that work 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Best to check out the Ports of Call thread on CC.

But those are now threads like these, which are almost impossible to search for specific information without tearing your hair out in frustration.

Whatever happened to the old ones which had been professionally put together for each port and kept updated with the sort of useful data that was most needed, and was  easily accessed without having to use CCs useless search facility?

On 10/16/2023 at 7:40 AM, Selbourne said:

You also need to remember that you need to get back to the ship in time for sailing and you can get caught up in traffic later on in the day on the Islands with cruise passengers returning to the port, as well as the risk something else could happen, e.g. vehicle could break down.  Hence better to do research and decide at beginning of day if you are looking for a taxi tour, though you do not have to leave as soon as the ship is cleared.

I agree the ports of call section here is good for research and you could always ask specific questions there, which will have more people who travel to the Caribbean a lot to answer those questions you may have, so prices mentioned are much more likely to be up to date.  Some tour companies over there may be suggested, so you can look at their offerings on the net and perhaps even book before you arrive at a port, if you wish to do so, but make sure any money is payable on the day, or is refundable, obviously.  On the day booking of a taxi may well be better though if you are restricted to specific vehicles.  Things have changed a bit since covid.

Also, do you use the "What's in Port" website, where you can look up specific ports and get lots of information about them - even videos of the ports or the islands.  You can also search ships in port for the day you are docked (though sometimes not all are listed), so you can get an idea of how busy the port will be and see a map of the port as well as the location of the cruise docking postion.  If there is more than one docking location, it will mention that as well.  Link to that website:-

https://www.whatsinport.com/

Happy searching and hope the holiday goes really well for you both,

Barbara

• Like 1