Lifetime photo ID

vcop

My sister-n-law doesn't drive. She has a photo Id from 15 years ago. It has lifetime on the expiration day. Will they still except this for her cruise. She looks very young on it.Do we need to get her a new one? Thanks for your help!

48 minutes ago, vcop said:

My sister-n-law doesn't drive. She has a photo Id from 15 years ago. It has lifetime on the expiration day. Will they still except this for her cruise. She looks very young on it.Do we need to get her a new one? Thanks for your help!

As long as it is a government issued photo ID it should work.

She may want to consider replacing it if she ever flies for any reason. Alabama is currently Real ID compliant. IDs will need to be Real ID compliant in order to be valid for air travel come 2025. She's going to have to replace it within the next two years if she ever plans to fly anywhere after May 6, 2025. Just something to be aware of, even if not necessary for this cruise. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vcop said:

Yes it is an Alabama State ID. 

So long as it was issued by the state of AL, not a 3rd party, she should be able to use it. I say "should" because of the new Real ID requirements that were not in place when it was issued.  Even people with current DLs that expire after Real ID deadline will have to get new ones to travel.

So, she/you might want to check on the Real ID component. If she plans on doing any type of traveling going forward, she really should get a new one.

• Like 1

To all the people saying you will need a Real ID license to fly:

You do realize you don't need a real ID if you already have a valid passport to fly or to cruise.  You don't need to get a new Real ID license if it expires after the Real ID effective date if you have a valid passport. And that effective date has been changed so many times.  It should have been in effect years ago. They keep on pushing it back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

You do realize you don't need a real ID if you already have a valid passport to fly or to cruise.  You don't need to get a new Real ID license if it expires after the Real ID effective date if you have a valid passport. And that effective date has been changed so many times.  It should have been in effect years ago. They keep on pushing it back.

Yep, I do.

OP asked about the traveling companion using a government ID so I assume said traveler does not have a passport or OP would not have asked the question. 🫡

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vcop said:

You mean the govt I'd in place of a drivers license I assume. I had a valid govt I'd because I worked for the govt but it wasnt good for things requiring a license or govt id. Lol I tried once. 

As long as it is a State issued ID it is fine. Not all states issue lifetime IDs but yes it is a thing. She currently does not need to get a Real ID unless she wants to right now and it has no effect on the actual cruise.

According to Carnival's FAQ,

>a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older

>Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification.

I've never heard of a "lifetime" ID being issued by any state, even non-drivers ID's usually expire. I'd have your sister-in-law double check what they have before heading on your vacation.

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

So long as it was issued by the state of AL, not a 3rd party, she should be able to use it. I say "should" because of the new Real ID requirements that were not in place when it was issued.  Even people with current DLs that expire after Real ID deadline will have to get new ones to travel.

So, she/you might want to check on the Real ID component. If she plans on doing any type of traveling going forward, she really should get a new one.

REAL ID only applies to air travel, not to cruises, so as long as she is driving to the port she'll be fine.

9 minutes ago, notscb said:

I've never heard of a "lifetime" ID being issued by any state, even non-drivers ID's usually expire.

Hi @notscb🙂

In Alabama, people 62 years or older, a non-drivers license ID is good for lifetime. People under 62 in Alabama the ID has to be renewed every 8 years.

🍹

• Like 5

Louisiana is the same.  State IDs for residents 60 and older are free and permanent.  I don't know if they are REAL ID compliant.  I am nowhere near 60 years old.  I have never had a need to find out.  For those 59 and younger, it is renewed every 6 years.  As of August 2022, renewal was $27 at the actual OMV for a REAL ID compliant card.

Edited by Tiger0613

5 hours ago, vcop said:

My sister-n-law doesn't drive. She has a photo Id from 15 years ago. It has lifetime on the expiration day. Will they still except this for her cruise.

4 hours ago, vcop said:

Hi @vcop🙂

Your sister-n-law's Alabama Lifetime State Issued ID will be just fine for a cruise.

Happy sailing!

20230703-151605.jpg

🍹

4 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

Same as the other poster. Figured if the OP's SIL had a passport, there would be no question about the State ID.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I was replying to the underlined portion of your post. A passport will work for them even if their drivers license isn't a Real ID one.

2 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @notscb🙂

In Alabama, people 62 years or older, a non-drivers license ID is good for lifetime. People under 62 in Alabama the ID has to be renewed every 8 years.

🍹

That makes a lot more sense. Imagine a 15 year old getting a lifetime photo ID and using it when they are 70??😂🤣

• Haha 1