NCL Medical need to Cancel Cruise

cresx

Hello. Looking for help. We have a cruise scheduled this month with a group of 21. One person was just diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and needs to start chemo immediately. He won't be able to go on the cruise. He was booked with 2 of his kids and we booked our airfare through NCL.  We can't find any good answers how to cancel his cruise and move the kids into other cabins and keep their airfare. Any suggestions please. Any contact numbers. Thank you in advance. 

There are contact numbers for insurance at the link I posted. That may only help with cancellation, though you may need to cancel through NCL first. Moving his kids and preserving airfare would need to be coordinated with NCL.

If he didn’t have insurance I don’t think a refund of the fares will happen. Call either NCL or the travel agent, maybe the kids can get moved for a fee? If insurance kicks in I guess it can be canceled and the kids rebooked into other cabins if there is still lifeboat capacity? My mom and dad (plus other family members) had to cancel due to her cancer diagnosis, I was surprised but insurance kicked in for all 3 cabins.

What is your/his main objective. Make sure the kids can fly/cruise or get $$ refunded through insurance…or both? I don’t have the answer but it would be helpful if we knew what we were solving for.

and, since I still call my 40 y/o boys kids …are the “kids” under 21?

Edited by laudergayle

It was a rude response.  Why is it necessary to point out to someone that they should have taken the insurance?  What is the point of that when it doesn’t address the question they are in search of?  It doesn’t matter if the sick passenger did it the right way, or the way you or I would have done it, but give the poster the info they are in search of if you can provide  

My answer to his inquiry is this - if the kids are in a cabin with the party who must cancel then they likely can remain and the party who is ill and must cancel will forfeit his cruise fare.  The others would likely be able to continue on.  Not certain this is what they are looking to do, but limited information provided so I’m attempting to address.  Port fees, taxes, and excursions for the party who is cancelling may be refunded/credited back.  

If everyone in the cabin is cancelling they will likely forfeit cruise fare for all booked in the cabin if no insurance was taken, but they may get credit for port charges, taxes, excursions.  Not sure what happens with the air fare.  Possibly they may get a credit, but I’m not certain.  Recommend they contact their travel agent or NCL personnel as soon as possible.  

Praying that things will improve for this unfortunate individual.  

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

What is your/his main objective. Make sure the kids can fly/cruise or get $$ refunded through insurance…or both? I don’t have the answer but it would be helpful if we knew what we were solving for.

and, since I still call my 40 y/o boys kids …are the “kids” under 21?

Most important is for the rest of the family to go and not have to rebook airfare

NCL: 1-866-234-7350

If you have trip insurance and want to investigate possible reimbursement related to his cancellation, use the contact info at the insurance I linked above.

Good luck, and my best wishes. I got diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago. Fortunately it's a non-aggressive form, but scared the crap out of my wife at first.

• Like 1

Talk to NCL.  With so many in the family attending, depending on the minors age, they may be able to continue on since other adults in the family are on the same voyage?  Is it possible someone from the family in another cabin can move into the cabin with the minors if required they have an adult in the cabin with them? 

3 minutes ago, omahabob said:

If you have trip insurance and want to investigate possible reimbursement related to his cancellation, use the contact info at the insurance I linked above.

Good luck, and my best wishes. I got diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago. Fortunately it's a non-aggressive form, but scared the crap out of my wife at first.

Thank you and you are in our thoughts. 

3 minutes ago, cruise52 said:

Talk to NCL.  With so many in the family attending, depending on the minors age, they may be able to continue on since other adults in the family are on the same voyage?  Is it possible someone from the family in another cabin can move into the cabin with the minors if required they have an adult in the cabin with them? 

Yes we have options with the rooms. Hearing since he was the adult in the room, if he cancels, then that whole reservation is cancelled including the flights

I would give NCL a call.  There may be a cancellation fee for the one person who is unable to go, but they may be able to make some modifications so that the minors don’t have to cancel their trip if they are able to attend.  There would likely be no money refunded other than gratuities, taxes, port fees and excursions.  I don’t know for certain, but think they may be able to find away for the kids to go as planned.  Good Luck 

BTW -what sailing is this?  we are on the 7/17 sailing on NCL Gem.  If the same itinerary, let me know if there is anything I can do to assist - happy to help in any way I can.  

You should be able to put another adult in that cabin, then cancel the gentleman with cancer. You may be able to just replace him with another adult.  It used to be a $50 change fee to do that but I don't know about now.

2 hours ago, cresx said:

Hello. Looking for help. We have a cruise scheduled this month with a group of 21. One person was just diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and needs to start chemo immediately. He won't be able to go on the cruise. He was booked with 2 of his kids and we booked our airfare through NCL.  We can't find any good answers how to cancel his cruise and move the kids into other cabins and keep their airfare. Any suggestions please. Any contact numbers. Thank you in advance. 

You need to call your travel agent and have them handle the changing of the kids. If you don't have a TA, then you need to talk directly with NCL. Unfortunately, your specific circumstances are not covered in the terms and conditions below. Name changes can only be made if it is more than 2 wees until departure. Worst case is that 100% of the cruise fare and air is a penalty this close to departure.

I assume that a large group would have paid for trip insurance for the entire group. The member cancelling their reservations will need to collect cancellation information from NCL to document the amount of loss. And they will need to get their doctor to fill out the proper forms to certify that they are unable to cruise. And file an insurance claim for their losses. Having all of the proper documents in hand before the departure date will be critical. 

https://www.ncl.com/in/en/about/terms-and-conditions-asia

• Change in Number of Guests
    • Original voyage fare is protected for reservations changing from single to double occupancy.
    • Cancellation of second guest for a double occupancy booking will not result penalty. (Remaining single guest pays 200% of cruise fare and NCFs)
    • Additional (guest 3-8) guests rate is confirmed at time of booking.
  • Name Changes
    • Full name changes are allowed up to 90 days prior to sailing.
    • A one-off, single name change is allowed from 89 days up to 15 days prior to sailing without penalty (with one original name remaining on the booking)
    • All Name changes made within 14 days to sailing will incur cancellation penalties as per the cancellation schedule
    • Name correction (e.g. spelling mistake) can be made anytime up to 48 hours prior sailing.
    • You cannot hold unpaid options or deposited bookings without guest names
  •  
Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, omahabob said:

I hope you are doing okay. Stay positive and remember your only job is to take care of yourself and get strong.

• Like 1

Thanks, but it doesn't affect me a bit. And fortunately, it probably never will. Just some slightly abnormal results on blood tests, nothing more. Doctors doubt it will ever advance beyond that. If there's such a thing as being lucky with cancer, I guess that's me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruise52 said:

It was a rude response.  Why is it necessary to point out to someone that they should have taken the insurance?  What is the point of that when it doesn’t address the question they are in search of?  It doesn’t matter if the sick passenger did it the right way, or the way you or I would have done it, but give the poster the info they are in search of if you can provide

Funny thing is that nobody posting before you ever said "you should have taken the insurance". In fact, nobody posting before you even asked "did you take the insurance".

It is not rude to question how others choose to respond? Why doesn't your post solely address the OP's question without the introductory scolding from the self-appointed board Karen? Does it make you feel better about yourself when you scold others?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

You should be able to put another adult in that cabin, then cancel the gentleman with cancer. You may be able to just replace him with another adult.  It used to be a $50 change fee to do that but I don't know about now.

Best advice in this thread!

24 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

Funny thing is that nobody posting before you ever said "you should have taken the insurance". In fact, nobody posting before you even asked "did you take the insurance".

It is not rude to question how others choose to respond? Why doesn't your post solely address the OP's question without the introductory scolding from the self-appointed board Karen? Does it make you feel better about yourself when you scold others?

Actually, someone did, but several posts have been deleted. It's water under the bridge now. Let's just leave it alone before something else gets deleted.

9 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Of course, this only works if the cabin allows 4 people.  But other than that, it should work if another adult is willing to stay in there with them.

True.  If not, then the obvious next step is to just cancel the ill person’s reservation.  He’ll have to eat the fare as it’s so close to the sail date.  But, I don’t know what else can be done?  Insurance or not, doesn’t really matter.  If you have it, you make a claim and see if they’ll cover a refund, depending on the insurance’s terms.  You’d be surprised how travel insurance tries to wiggle out of certain situations.