New to RCL, ?s about kids and in general

We are experienced cruisers, but haven’t been on RCL since 2016. Sailing with daughter and husband and their 3 young boys on Allure for a short Bahamas and Coco Cay trip. Several ?s

Does Royal have typical sale times for add-ons like drink pkgs, cabanas at CocoCay,etc? We are used to Celebrity that will put those things on sale around Labor Day or Black Friday, we don’t sail until spring 24, so just need to know when to look?

Does Royal still have the soft drink machines with the special cups?

What is the youngest age for the kids’ club? Can you still get a separate babysitter by the hour? The youngest boy will be just short of age 3, the older 2 are definitely kids club age.

We were hoping to rent a cabana (not the over water ones) as a home base for the family, any suggestions or insight related to that? The oldest is only 7, so we are not interested in the big water slides or fast rides, just access to a little sand to dig, a pool and shade for Nana who has to stay out of sun. A location near snacks would be welcome, especially ice cream 🍨. Other than our own stroller, are their wagons or other availabile ways to haul the beach stuff? On the RCL website, most of the cabanas said minimum age was 4? I understand having an adults only quiet area, but that seemed to hold for all the cabana areas I looked at, what am I missing?

Any other thoughts would be welcome, the only show we are likely to attend would be the ice show with the big boys, does that need to be reserved ahead? Grandparents and 2 older boys will be in a suite, mom, dad and youngest in a regular cabin - if that changes things with reservations.

Thanks in advance.

What ship are you on?

Adventure Ocean starts at 3 (and they are firm about it) and the kid needs to be fully potty trained. 

If they are under 3 SOME ships have a nursery. It is not private/in your room, and there is an hourly rate, but they were great with my daughter when she was under 3. 

Coco Cay has sand strollers, they work great. There is a kids water play area that is totally free. 

I’ve never heard of a minimum age for the cabanas. If it is really just going to be a home base maybe think about getting a day bed. 

Idk which pay area in coco cay you are thinking about a cabana. The 2 pay areas you would have to purchase admittance for each person. There are lots of free areas. There is a shuttle train that goes around to the different areas. I dont think it means 4 is a minimum age, but rather under 4 doesnt have to pay. 

6 minutes ago, jacobtsf said:

What ship are you on?

Adventure Ocean starts at 3 (and they are firm about it) and the kid needs to be fully potty trained. 

If they are under 3 SOME ships have a nursery. It is not private/in your room, and there is an hourly rate, but they were great with my daughter when she was under 3. 

3 minutes ago, jacobtsf said:

Coco Cay has sand strollers, they work great. There is a kids water play area that is totally free. 

I’ve never heard of a minimum age for the cabanas. If it is really just going to be a home base maybe think about getting a day bed. 

Thanks for quick response, we are on Allure of the Seas.

I was thinking a cabana would be a way to stay out longer. I need deep consistent shade. Will it be hard to get 2 umbrellas together? We are early start people. 
The sand strollers will be great.

Daughter and I thought the youngest would be too young for Adventure Ocean, getting him potty trained so he can do kiddy pool and water play is a goal now. We were hoping for one adult meal for the 4 grownups. It’s only a 4 day cruise, so we may not get off ship except for CocoCay.

Another thought - does the shipboard splash area operate while in port?

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk which pay area in coco cay you are thinking about a cabana. The 2 pay areas you would have to purchase admittance for each person. There are lots of free areas. There is a shuttle train that goes around to the different areas. I dont think it means 4 is a minimum age, but rather under 4 doesnt have to pay. 

That could be, that makes more sense? The cabanas were I think about $1100 a day for 6-8 people and came with drinks and food, The swimming pool one would likely be best for us.

We had an Oasis Lagoon cabin and it was perfect. I know someone mentioned a daybed but the max capacity for those is 4. 

I'm with you on having full shad from the sun, it's a must for me and loungers/umbrellas don't cut it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Thanks for quick response, we are on Allure of the Seas.

I was thinking a cabana would be a way to stay out longer. I need deep consistent shade. Will it be hard to get 2 umbrellas together? We are early start people. 
The sand strollers will be great.

Daughter and I thought the youngest would be too young for Adventure Ocean, getting him potty trained so he can do kiddy pool and water play is a goal now. We were hoping for one adult meal for the 4 grownups. It’s only a 4 day cruise, so we may not get off ship except for CocoCay.

Allure of the seas, the suite lounge will have wine and beer for the suite occupants. In the morning there is a specialty coffee machine and a continental breakfast. Happy hour is free drinks and finger food, hot and cold. 

Those in the suite can eat at CK. Coastal kitchen. Not those not in a suite. No guests allowed.

I dont know I found any deep shade in coco cay. So I can see buying a cabana for you but if it's in a pay area everyone has to pay. I found a picnic table near the food and free beach where I ate. Not deep shade, maybe some palm trees for shade. Deep shade will be hard imo. Cabanas are really expensive though. Black Friday they were half priced last year. Teill park is the rides, the other is good for a lobster and shrimp lunch included in the price.

The ice skating show and diving are both good for kids. You said just one for the kids. 

The day beds are covered (from sun and rain) and a great option for young kids who might want to nap. But yes, technically the max capacity is 4 people (though I think anyone under 3 doesn’t count). But if it is mostly for storing stuff and having 1 or 2 adults with resting kids it would be fine. 

Allure DOES have the nursery. On a ship that big you will want to go up there as soon as you board to sign them up and RESERVE some times (including the time you want to have your adult dinner, I recommend 150 Central Park)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ReRe71 said:

We had an Oasis Lagoon cabin and it was perfect. I know someone mentioned a daybed but the max capacity for those is 4. 

I'm with you on having full shad from the sun, it's a must for me and loungers/umbrellas don't cut it. 

I vote for something like this in a free area. 

Mom and child in the suite can eat their meals in coastal kitchen. Better service and a few different meal choices. Dad and child not in a suite cant eat there. 

Ck = coastal kitchen I mentioned above. It's for suite guests plus some extras like pinnacles. Place to eat meals on oasis class.

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Mom and child in the suite can eat their meals in coastal kitchen. Better service and a few different meal choices. Dad and child not in a suite cant eat there. 

Ck = coastal kitchen I mentioned above. It's for suite guests plus some extras like pinnacles. Place to eat meals on oasis class.

I think it's grandparents+2 older kids in the suite (who can eat at CK and enjoy the suite lounge drinks/apps) and mom/dad/youngest in balcony (who cannot eat there).

14 hours ago, jacobtsf said:

The day beds are covered (from sun and rain) and a great option for young kids who might want to nap. But yes, technically the max capacity is 4 people (though I think anyone under 3 doesn’t count). But if it is mostly for storing stuff and having 1 or 2 adults with resting kids it would be fine. 

Allure DOES have the nursery. On a ship that big you will want to go up there as soon as you board to sign them up and RESERVE some times (including the time you want to have your adult dinner, I recommend 150 Central Park)

Thks, based on this, I will try to book ahead or asap on aboard. We are the g’parents in the suite, I will bring documents to board the older kids with us, do you think I can get the younger one booked into a nursery even if they haven’t yet boarded?

12 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Regarding sales… what I do is book what I want right away, then periodically check prices and cancel/rebook when they go down.  Sometimes I randomly find a sale, and sometimes find deals on Black Friday or prime day(s).

Might try that strategy, today is Prime day!

3 hours ago, KSprite01 said:

I think it's grandparents+2 older kids in the suite (who can eat at CK and enjoy the suite lounge drinks/apps) and mom/dad/youngest in balcony (who cannot eat there).

Yes, that is the plan - honestly, this is about relaxing with the kids with a floating splash park and no cooking or dishes, our expectations are very low! We booked a suite for the extra space and a bathtub, so adult dinners are down the priority list.

I did read on another thread that sometimes one can speak to the maitre d of CK and get a single friend or couple into dinner as a one off, paying a fee for their dinner, but we would be more likely to all 4 go to a specialty together. 

Thanks for the great responses.

10 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

Reserve shows online on the app or computer if it is an Oasis class ship

I’m new to Royal. Sailing on the Serenade of the Seas. I realize it is an older ship. Do we need to reserve shows on Serenade?

14 minutes ago, Momma1980 said:

I’m new to Royal. Sailing on the Serenade of the Seas. I realize it is an older ship. Do we need to reserve shows on Serenade?

No...not necessary. We sailed on Serenade last September for Alaska and Panama Canal in October....Enjoy.

23 hours ago, cangelmd said:

We are experienced cruisers, but haven’t been on RCL since 2016. Sailing with daughter and husband and their 3 young boys on Allure for a short Bahamas and Coco Cay trip. Several ?s

Does Royal have typical sale times for add-ons like drink pkgs, cabanas at CocoCay,etc? We are used to Celebrity that will put those things on sale around Labor Day or Black Friday, we don’t sail until spring 24, so just need to know when to look?

What is the youngest age for the kids’ club? Can you still get a separate babysitter by the hour? The youngest boy will be just short of age 3, the older 2 are definitely kids club age.

We were hoping to rent a cabana (not the over water ones) as a home base for the family, any suggestions or insight related to that? The oldest is only 7, so we are not interested in the big water slides or fast rides, just access to a little sand to dig, a pool and shade for Nana who has to stay out of sun. A location near snacks would be welcome, especially ice cream 🍨. Other than our own stroller, are their wagons or other availabile ways to haul the beach stuff? On the RCL website, most of the cabanas said minimum age was 4? I understand having an adults only quiet area, but that seemed to hold for all the cabana areas I looked at, what am I missing?

Any other thoughts would be welcome, the only show we are likely to attend would be the ice show with the big boys, does that need to be reserved ahead? Grandparents and 2 older boys will be in a suite, mom, dad and youngest in a regular cabin - if that changes things with reservations.

Thanks in advance.

1.) south beach cabanas - right on the water - its great!  Tons of food right there, great shade, and of course drinks being served.  no wagons or anything to use - you take a tram there.  

2.) drink package is usually BOGO first day of cruise.  the other sales are always on holiday weekends/weeks

3.) the nursery has all day hours ( i think ) for children under 2.  not sure about the babysitter but all three of our kids have been in nurseries on Oasis ships.  they do a great job.  adventure ocean for ages 3-5 & 6-12  had odd hours.  If i remember correctly 9:00AM-1:00PM, 3-5, and 7-midnight.  I think

No, the parents need to be present to book them into the nursery. That said, the two times we did it, it wasn't a problem to get some time booked as long as you were flexible on which night (although we did try to board on the earlier side and it was one of the first stops - if you board at the end it might be different). For a 7 night cruise, they limited us to a set number of hours (maybe 12 or 16?), and only one formal night. Later on they let us book more if we wanted though I think not another formal (either full up or past the formal night?). It was $6 for daytime hours, $8 for evening (I think 6pm+). We felt that was imminently reasonable, and they didn't nickel and dime over five minutes here or there. When we decided to get him half an hour early, I think they didn't even charge us for that booked, but not used time. We were paged once or twice the second cruise when our kid was unhappy there, and they did not charge us for the time he tried it (maybe 45-60 minutes). We ended up canceling some time because he wasn't happy, but it wasn't their fault.

On 7/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, cangelmd said:

Royal hasn't been offering up many sales lately, especially on the larger, newer ships.  Just check a couple times each week -- and definitely on holidays -- but don't get your hopes up.  Thing is, you can definitely have a great time without these "extras", if you don't get the price you want.  

Yes, they tend to run $8-10/day + 18% tax.

The older two are golden ... they can go to the kids' club (no cost) and will have a blast.  

The nursery for the youngest is pretty dull AND it costs $8/hour.  They do lend out educational toys, which you may take back to your cabin.  

Honestly, if you think you're going to want to put him in the nursery more than once or twice, I'd seriously consider waiting a few weeks /months so he'd qualify for the kids' club.  (We planned our family cruise for just after my grandson's 3rd birthday for this very reason.) 

just access to a little sand to dig, a pool and shade for Nana who has to stay out of sun. A location near snacks would be welcome, especially ice cream 🍨.

Chill Island will give you most of this -- the umbrellas won't give you total sun protection, but nearby is a palm forest full of big double hammocks, and that is totally shaded.  It's near the Chill Grill, which has ice cream. 

South Beach will give you the same -- except no hammocks and palm forest.  And you'd eat at the Skipper Grill, which is identical to the Chill Grill except for the color scheme.  

If you'd prefer the pool, it's in the center of the island.  It is rather loud.  

Also in the center is the huge pirate ship playground /splash area.  You will definitely want to visit that.  

Other than our own stroller, are their wagons or other availabile ways to haul the beach stuff? 

They have strollers and wheelchairs with giant wheels that can roll in the sand.  Thing is, you can't get them until you're off the ship, down the long dock and ON THE ISLAND.  

When we last boarded a ship, we saw a family just ahead of us who had a canvas collapsible wagon -- I think I've seen such things on Amazon -- and I thought, "That's a family who's got it going on."  The dad was pulling the big-wheeled wagon, which held two toddlers and the family's back packs and cases of soda.  The mom was following (making sure the boys stayed IN the wagon) and carrying a smaller child.  They pulled that wagon right up the gangplank.  I'm sure they hauled it right down to Coco Cay later in the cruise. 

If I were you and had three small children instead of just my one grandson, I'd buy one of those collapsible wagons and have it at my "beck and call" all the time -- not just on CoCo Cay.  

On 7/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, cangelmd said:

Depending upon the direction of the sun, I'm not sure a cabana would guarantee you full shade all day.  Have you considered a long sleeved rash guard?  

No, if you're early start people, you will easily be able to get two no-cost umbrellas together.  The chairs are arranged 2-chairs/1 umbrella or 4-chairs/1 umbrella.  

On 7/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, cangelmd said:

I feel sure it does. 

Off-topic, but two things my daughter insists upon for my grandson's safety:  He is only allowed to wear bright red, orange or yellow swim trunks, as the more common blues and greens blend into the water -- she wants him to STAND OUT for safety.  And water shoes for "grip".  

20 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Thks, based on this, I will try to book ahead or asap on aboard. We are the g’parents in the suite, I will bring documents to board the older kids with us, do you think I can get the younger one booked into a nursery even if they haven’t yet boarded?

Booking the kids into the clubs /nursery won't be difficult.  You need to do it soon, but you needn't make it Priority 1.  

13 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

1.) south beach cabanas - right on the water - its great!  Tons of food right there, great shade, and of course drinks being served.  no wagons or anything to use - you take a tram there. 

But with kids, you will need to take the tram to South Beach.  It is a haul.  

13 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

2.) drink package is usually BOGO first day of cruise.  the other sales are always on holiday weekends/weeks

If you know you want the package, buy it ahead of time.  It'll definitely be cheaper beforehand, even with the BOGO sale.