Reykjavik volcanoes

Ellencruise

3 minutes ago, Ellencruise said:

Uh oh. Volcanoes erupting in Reykjavik, let’s see what happens to our itineraries. I’ve been waiting 4 years for this cruise!

The volcano is south of Reykjavik. It is a minor eruption that happens often. It likely won’t effect your cruise. 

• Like 1

Iceland - the land of fire and ice. Sits atop the great tectonic rift between the US continental plates and the European continental plates. The earth is literally opening up beneath your feet in Iceland. Other major volcanos in Iceland are "over due" for eruptions, straddling this highly active tectonic zone.

The last major Iceland eruption that shut down air travel for weeks, left our cruise with many, many empty cabins. Luckily, we had arrived at our cruise departure port three days earlier.

As a geology prof on one of the Maasdam In-Depth cruise always liked to say: Civilization exists only with the permission of geologic forces.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Iceland - the land of fire and ice. Sits atop the great tectonic rift between the US continental plates and the European continental plates. The earth is literally opening up beneath your feet in Iceland. Other major volcanos in Iceland are "over due" for eruptions, straddling this highly active tectonic zone.

The last major Iceland eruption that shut down air travel for weeks, left our cruise with many, many empty cabins. Luckily, we had arrived at our cruise departure port three days earlier.

As a geology prof on one of the Maasdam In-Depth cruise always liked to say: Civilization exists only with the permission of geologic forces.

I don’t think there’s a chance of me cancelling. Let HAL show us a good time in spite of nature’s actions!

6 minutes ago, Ellencruise said:

I don’t think there’s a chance of me cancelling. Let HAL show us a good time in spite of nature’s actions!

A major eruption affects air lights. This is a minor eruption and seems to be easing from latest reports. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ellencruise said:

Travel is always an adventure, and subject to unique phenomena where one chooses to travel.  And Iceland is about as unique as it gets - part of it lure and lore .That is all.

We love Iceland.  Hope you have a wonderful time and keep learning about its natural and unpredictable wonders. Hope you can include one of its famous thermal resorts - Blue Lagoon or Lake Myvatan.  Iceland makes its natural wonders work for their own benefit; except when they can not.

• Like 4

We were in Reykjavik with the Zuiderdam. 
Some fellow passengers have felt it during an excursion in the area.

From TV footage it only looks like flowing lave. No eruption spitting out huge ash plumes. 
got this txt on my cell phone. 

IMG_2865.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

DH said our trip to Iceland (circumnavigation by car) was his favorite of all of our trips. It's difficult to go there and not become interested in geology, even if you never were before.

I remember that eruption. My BFF got a few extra days in Rome because her flight home was cancelled. The owner of the farmhouse that was shown in all the news pictures cashed in on his fame by establishing a museum about Iceland's volcanoes and that eruption. It has one of the best explanations of volcanoes and the interactions between fire below and ice above I've ever seen or read.

• Like 2

Ex-geologist here. Its a lava eruption not a gas and rock explosive eruption like the unproduceable volcanoes which shut down lots of European flights. 

Its about 40 min outside of Reykiyvik but the lava is nowhere near any inhabited bit.  Hoping that it might be visible when we sail in from the east. 

I would love to hike out and see it - we are there in a few weeks so hopefully its still going strong by then.  My main issue is do I cancel the snorkelling trip and hope to be able to get on a hiking trip - and can I hike 20km over rough terrain! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lissie said:

Ex-geologist here. Its a lava eruption not a gas and rock explosive eruption like the unproduceable volcanoes which shut down lots of European flights. 

Its about 40 min outside of Reykiyvik but the lava is nowhere near any inhabited bit.  Hoping that it might be visible when we sail in from the east. 

I would love to hike out and see it - we are there in a few weeks so hopefully its still going strong by then.  My main issue is do I cancel the snorkelling trip and hope to be able to get on a hiking trip - and can I hike 20km over rough terrain! 

Go for it and enjoy it!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Ironically nearby Ireland is very geologically stable. Almost no earthquakes.  Whose fault is that? (Pun intended)

1 minute ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Ironically nearby Ireland is very geologically stable. Almost no earthquakes.  Whose fault is that? (Pun intended)

Delos and Borneo are also islands of relative stability, among their notorious, tectonically erratic neighbors 

Magma flows deep under the earth crust are now speculated to materially impact ocean temperatures leading to El Ninos, and changes in the Gulf Stream, let alone the shifting of the magnetic poles. Magma bulges may be the biggest climate drivers of all.

Brave new world for exploration considering how very recent the tectonic plate theory is. Was not taught when I was taking college Geology in the 1960's.

Explains the uniqueness of the Seychelles granite islands, among the sea of Indian Ocean volcanic island chains. Endlessly fascinating topic since HAL takes us all around the world, to see these geologic manifestation first hand.

• Like 1