Walkie Talkies banned on all NCL ships.

razor7_us

3 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Huh, did this just happen today? Is this effective immediately?
Cheap kids walkie-talkies aren't going to interfere with emergency channels.

Can't say when because it's not something I have had any interst in, but I saw it some weeks ago when someone asked elsewhere about using them.

Edit: And since it's on the prohibited items list and ha been so for everyone that has checked in for any upcoming cruise (and therefor claimed to have read the list) I imagine it is effective now.

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

YES!! Finally, way too many ppl using the emergency channel and interrupting rescue situations! Thanks for posting this!

????????

6 hours ago, omahabob said:

What emergency channel, FMRS, GMRS, marine???

Exactly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt it's really about emergency channels. Rather them being a nuisance to other passengers and possibly crew. As I understand it more advanced/powerful models have been confiscated in many cases because they can interfere with crew radios (and those emergency channels?). Simple ones have been ok. But to make things easier and not getting into pointless discussions they now simply say "no walkie talkies".

• Like 1

Probably more about the annoyance factor.  Kind of like someone walking around the ship with the phone on speaker the whole time, except it's probably kids who have no real sense of what 'loud' is.  (Speaking from my own experience 😄)

5 minutes ago, quagmire0 said:

Probably more about the annoyance factor.  Kind of like someone walking around the ship with the phone on speaker the whole time, except it's probably kids who have no real sense of what 'loud' is.  (Speaking from my own experience 😄)

Definitely a big annoyance factor. And speaking from my own experience, it’s also adults sitting there yelling “can you hear me now?” 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

add to the list that headphones/earbuds must be used with audio/video devices. i continue to be amazed at the number of people who think it’s appropriate in a shared public space to binge watch a tv series, a ball game, a zoom call or endless facebook or tiktok videos without headphones, subjecting all around them to that auditory nonsense.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 15

15 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

Could also be to influence passengers to purchase the $9.95 chat feature on their app. The $$ drives the train.

This must have changed in the last few weeks, since I swear I checked that list and I specifically ordered cheap walkie-talkies to avoid their fee.  Their charge comes out to $40 for a family of 4 who just want to communicate with each other, on from all accounts a rubbish app.
Oh well, the $4 kid's walkie-talkies I bought probably wouldn't have worked very well anyway.

12 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

This must have changed in the last few weeks, since I swear I checked that list and I specifically ordered cheap walkie-talkies to avoid their fee.  Their charge comes out to $40 for a family of 4 who just want to communicate with each other, on from all accounts a rubbish app.
Oh well, the $4 kid's walkie-talkies I bought probably wouldn't have worked very well anyway.

A "quiet" announcement a month or more ago and now enforcement fleetwide . It was placed on the prohibited list just day(s) ago. As far as your $4 purchase, they would not have faired well with all that surrounding steel.  Maybe line of sight across the pool but not much better.

17 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

As far as your $4 purchase, they would not have faired well with all that surrounding steel.  Maybe line of sight across the pool but not much better.

Yes, silly things quoted a 15 mile range or something on them, but in testing them with the kids the other day, I could barely hear them at the park three blocks away, with metal everywhere they would probably be less-than worthless.
OK, well the kids will just be "free range" then.  We will have to set-up specific times to check in with them I suppose, or maybe we just won't see them for a week, either way.

• Haha 1

Marketing hype. They simply calculate the distance a UHF signal of x wattage (probably 5) can be detected with a high gain antenna (not what they use) in the absence of all interfering factors (not even close to the real world). On a good day with clear line of sight, GMRS gets 'acceptable' (not good) reception at about a mile. That is NOT a cruise ship environment.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

YES!! Finally, way too many ppl using the emergency channel and interrupting rescue situations! Thanks for posting this!

Huh?  Real two way radios use independent radio frequencies that the store bought radios can not access.  

Struck me as well. I was wondering if maybe some of the shipboard folk use GMRS. Or maybe the cheap radios bleed over into other frequencies. That's certainly not unheard of, especially with radios from China.