Why such early final payment deadline?

MomC

I had my TA call last week. Only cruise booked with Viking, sailing Oct 24. No extension given. As earlier people said: they do it because they can. I want this itinerary, not willing to watch and wonder if the cabin I want sells out. 

41 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I just booked an August 2025 cruise on a competing small ship line, because of the attractive itinerary. Final payment is due in April of that year. No way I would make final payment as far in advance as V would likely demand for a similar cruise.

If you’re able to find availability on a Viking cruise at 3 or 4 months from sailing you’ll be fine then.

• Like 1

I just checked for a Caribbean cruise for January 2025 and rooms are already selling out and the rooms available that I would book (lowest category) I don't like the locations. I understand it is the only Caribbean cruise they are offering at that time, but dang that is early. Maybe some TA's have put a bunch on hold?

21 hours ago, Winne said:

Mackdogmolly, what small ship line did you book with and have you used them before? Thank you. Winne.

Check my signature. But I think it is SOP for most cruise lines to collect final payment about 90 days out from sailing. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

While once waiting for our table in a very famous Steakhouse in NYC, another group behind us waiting in the queue said something a bit too loud, they were questioning how the restaurant could, in this day and age, get away with being cash only. The staff person at the podium quickly and loudly responded to that with "sir, I'm happy to show you the door for free!" Their house, their rules, their prices and they clearly weren't hurting for business. The restaurant in question has been around for well over 120 years. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Check my signature. But I think it is SOP for most cruise lines to collect final payment about 90 days out from sailing. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

120 days for Virgin Voyages, my only other contemporary data point.

1 minute ago, Mackdogmolly said:

My TA collects at 120 too, to make sure the cc is in order, but I think the cruise line deadline is 90.

I don't use a TA; the Virgin Voyages website tells me that my final payment is due at 120 days.

On 7/15/2023 at 1:29 PM, Lexus550 said:

It's all has to do with who you get on the phone.  If you don't like the answer they give you, just call right back.  

Is it because you are in Canada?  I know friends from the UK didn’t have to pay in full so far out.   

9 minutes ago, Lucyonthesea said:

Is it because you are in Canada?  I know friends from the UK didn’t have to pay in full so far out.   

US and Canada have different rules than the UK, where consumers have more protection under law.

5 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

US and Canada have different rules than the UK, where consumers have more protection under law.

I may be mistaken, but was under the impression that UK pax paid a significantly higher non-refundable deposit (~25% ?). I ask because I'd view that as more onerous than NA deposit terms and a noticeable price for increased consumer protection. (I recognize that many areas of the cruise contract differ between NA, the UK and Oz, not just that one). 🍺🥌

One of the confusing things on CC and with Viking is that the policies for everything are different based on if you are US, CA, UK, or AU.

Most folks have their country or location in their profile and that helps to understand where the information is coming from.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

One of the confusing things on CC and with Viking is that the policies for everything are different based on if you are US, CA, UK, or AU.

Most folks have their country or location in their profile and that helps to understand where the information is coming from.

Easiest thing is for the OP in a thread where legislation or country may be relevent, such as refunds and flights to say which country they are from, and then only people with the relevent knowledge to reply. 

As an example, being from the UK I have no idea what Viking Air plus is all about, so keep off those threads, unless someone has a question about a UK airport.

It is useful to know what other countries are getting in situations such as missed ports, sometimes adds a bit of bargaining power

13 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I may be mistaken, but was under the impression that UK pax paid a significantly higher non-refundable deposit (~25% ?). I ask because I'd view that as more onerous than NA deposit terms and a noticeable price for increased consumer protection. (I recognize that many areas of the cruise contract differ between NA, the UK and Oz, not just that one). 🍺🥌

Yep, 25% then payment 90 days out. We are advised to get insurance in place as soon as deposit is paid. 

Deposits like this are fairly normal for most expensive bookings and purchases, such as functions in hotels. A recent car purchase was 20% then the rest on collection. 

Lower cost accommodation and purchases ask for payment on booking/ordering. 

By non refundable it's if the customer cancels. If the company cancels or substantially changes the contract a full refund of money paid is required. There is more to the legislation but that's the general gist of it

Edited by KBs mum

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked Viking in the past but canceled after final payment, one year in advance, with their itinerary to Cuba changed so drastically so it wasn't the same trip at all.  Not their fault - but not the trip I wanted to take.

Fast forward 5+ years and we are looking to try V again after sailing many other lines over the last 5 years.  As stated by many -- no other line runs exactly like V does and, for some, this is a positive but for many not at all.

In May, some friends who are V fans, asked us to join them on a Sept 2025 cruise. At the time of booking, the promotion was $50 deposit but the final payment is due Dec 2023 -- a full 22 months before sailing.  My husband will be almost 82 at that time -- who knows what kind of shape we'll be in, but to please our dear friends we agreed.  Now I'm wondering why I would give them $40K plus pay for insurance so far in advance.  I understand that there's a risk to canceling that I might not get the cabin category I want.  Right now, it is still available.  I assume V will not agree to alter their payment terms to closer to 12 months, which was always their policy in the past but I will ask my TA to try.  She books a lot of Viking (and everyone else, too).  This is, as you say and she says, a case of enough folks who won't say anything against V policy and will use them no matter what they require.

Question: (after all that) has anyone tried asking to pay the normal full deposit in an effort to shorten the date for final payment -- possibly back to their previously required 12 months for new customers?

How about asking to make a partial payment?  Some lines allow that.

Seems like the $25 and $50 promo is luring in bargain hunters, but the bargain may be short term.  The worst thing for V is that some  will not actually make the final payment or cancel and rebook.  And since these promos are coming out more frequently, and because many devoted V fans have other bookings, the final payment dates are on a rotating wheel unlike other lines where everyone pays 90 days or 120 days in advance -- all on the same day.  Good money management for V, but not for the customer, necessarily??

The time value of money principle sure doesn't favor giving up 40Gs almost 2 years in advance.  BTW - the fare for my trip has only gone up a little bit and the cabin is still available and we have 7 other cruises booked (with 4 different lines) in the next 25 months. The V 12/25 payment is due before all the others and it is the last one reserved.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate actual experiences.

• Like 2

Can you find a TA who has an escrow account who would give you a later payment date? Ours pays with their own funds then takes the customers payment from the account after the holiday. Their payment terms differ from the suppliers would if booked direct

On 7/25/2023 at 1:27 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

Oceania's final payment date ranges from 90 to 150 days, depending on length of cruise.

42 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Can you find a TA who has an escrow account who would give you a later payment date? Ours pays with their own funds then takes the customers payment from the account after the holiday. Their payment terms differ from the suppliers would if booked direct

Don't know but I doubt it. I will ask. Thanks

Not to change to subject but I too booked with Viking for a cruise in June 2024 and have to pay for 

it by Oct 30,2023. I booked an earlier ocean cruise for January 2024 and have to pay for it by Sept

30,2023. Tried to get a later payment date but with luck.

Has anybody been on the Iconic Mediterranean Treasures cruise. Would like to hear from you on

the extensions. Our cruise starts in January.

2 hours ago, Nanaby8 said:

Not to change to subject but I too booked with Viking for a cruise in June 2024 and have to pay for 

it by Oct 30,2023. I booked an earlier ocean cruise for January 2024 and have to pay for it by Sept

30,2023. Tried to get a later payment date but with luck.

Has anybody been on the Iconic Mediterranean Treasures cruise. Would like to hear from you on

the extensions. Our cruise starts in January.

@Nanaby8 I suggest you start a new thread asking about the Iconic Mediterranean Treasures cruise extensions along with any specific questions you have about them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Never cruised with Viking previously (but many times with Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara and Regent). Would really like to try them but we are not gullible enough to provide interest-free loans to them! For a cruise in February 2025 they are demanding full payment in December 2023 - ridiculous! Our TA asked about this and was told there are no exceptions........

Oceania must be very happy with Viking's practice. We're booking Vista instead of Mars.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tangakid said:

Never cruised with Viking previously (but many times with Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara and Regent). Would really like to try them but we are not gullible enough to provide interest-free loans to them! For a cruise in February 2025 they are demanding full payment in December 2023 - ridiculous! Our TA asked about this and was told there are no exceptions........

Oceania must be very happy with Viking's practice. We're booking Vista instead of Mars.

We had the same reluctance when we booked our first Viking River cruise, and paid in full more than a year and a half prior to our May 2020 cruise. We did save 3 percent by paying with a bank transfer rather than our credit card (where we would have at least gotten rewards). As it turned out, no Viking cruises sailed in May 2020 so we took the choice of rebooking our Grand European cruise for May 2021 rather than taking a future cruise credit. When it came time again to decide if May 2021 would allow us to take the cruise since we would be traveling from the US to Amsterdam, then entering many other EU countries while they were still worried about us bringing them more Covid, we rebooked to May 2022. There were still all kinds of Covid tests that needed to be done (with the weekend results needed to allow us to fly Monday morning costing 250 each), and the Delta flights to Amsterdam were booked too close to make the connection  resulting in us being rebooked on the next flight with no business class seats available. I complained to Viking a number of times as the second fllight moved closer to the first, and they said if Delta says you can make it you will. We will never fly Delta again, and while Delta refunded our upgrade fee to Viking, we had trouble getting our upgrade fee back from Viking.

So we paid in full in October of 2018 for a cruise that we were not able to take until May of 2022. We did, however, enjoy it, and had only 1 case of Covid for a passenger who tested positive at the airport in Budapest at the end of the cruise. Many of us did a 3 night post in Prague, and no one tested positive before going to the airport.

After returning from our Viking river cruise, we decided to book our first Viking Ocean cruise for December of this year, and once again we had to pay in full within a few days of booking. We made our own flight arrangements this time since we don't trust Viking to do it. We constantly get advertisements from Viking saying that you can book for 25 dollars. I have never bothered looking at these offers to see when the rest is due. It's probably the next week.

We've cruised on a number of other cruise lines (Regent, HAL, SeaDream, Paul Gauguin, Silversea), and none of them asked for full payment so far in advance,