Saturn's Iceland and Norway's Arctic Explorer-July 19-August 2 LIVEish

Clay Clayton

6 hours ago, depplep said:

Clay, I was wondering if you have done a Viking river cruise? If so, what are your thoughts? I've been wanting to do this but my husband feels like the ships are too small and not enough to entertain.

Our first Viking cruise was a river cruise from Passau to Budapest. We enjoyed it, my only issue that due to the vagaries of the river schedule all the planning we did was for naught. There isn't much entertainment but between the busy days and the other interesting cruisers I didn't miss it. 

One more negative difference that I failed to mention but thought about yesterday while discussing the cruise with friends.  We were sad to see that the number and types of teas had been reduced for afternoon tea as I think J mentioned before when I posted the menu (maybe on another thread.) But the bigger sadness was the scones.  They weren't as light, moist, and delicate as we remembered them.  They seemed smaller so Mike (the baker in our family) wondered if they had reduced the size but hadn't reduced the cooking time or perhaps Saturn had a heavy handed scone maker who had simply overworked the dough.  Definitely a #FirstWorldProblem as it didn't keep me from eating them!😂

IMG_7262.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

One more negative difference that I failed to mention but thought about yesterday while discussing the cruise with friends.  We were sad to see that the number and types of teas had been reduced for afternoon tea as I think J mentioned before when I posted the menu (maybe on another thread.) But the bigger sadness was the scones.  They weren't as light, moist, and delicate as we remembered them.  They seemed smaller so Mike (the baker in our family) wondered if they had reduced the size but hadn't reduced the cooking time or perhaps Saturn had a heavy handed scone maker who had simply overworked the dough.  Definitely a #FirstWorldProblem as it didn't keep me from eating them!😂

IMG_7262.jpeg

Interesting note, Clay.

I thought exactly the same thing on our June Saturn cruise.  (Whereas last Dec/Jan the scones were fine).  So maybe it really is the baker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

IMG_7262.jpeg

FWIW, we had no issue with the scones on the cruise before yours.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Given I ate them every time I can't say I had a real issue, just they were different than previously experienced. 

I was just talking about this with Linda. You may have a better memory for food dishes and preparation than I do. In my case, and because we had last cruised 15 months before our Saturn experience, I simply didn’t have the bandwidth to remember whether the scones or other food items had changed during the interval. Perhaps they did, perhaps they didn’t. But a moot point, because I ate them too!

• Haha 1

I did notice they were in keeping with the new “Skinny Tea” menu, being smaller, but I thought they were tasty all the same.

Maybe they’re cutting costs by using less flour? 😂

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I did notice they were in keeping with the new “Skinny Tea” menu, being smaller, but I thought they were tasty all the same.

More likely less butter!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Linda - we ate them too!

Maybe just part of the overall small portions approach they are doing.  I do recall someone complaining that the portions in the restaurants were quite a bit smaller.  I said, why don't you just ask for more, they won't refuse you!  If you want it, you can have it!   And in this way, there is less wasted food.  Don't think she comprehended 🙂

• Like 3

On 8/11/2023 at 9:25 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Our first Viking cruise was a river cruise from Passau to Budapest. We enjoyed it, my only issue that due to the vagaries of the river schedule all the planning we did was for naught. There isn't much entertainment but between the busy days and the other interesting cruisers I didn't miss it. 

Budapest is the itinerary I've been looking at. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 6:14 PM, CCWineLover said:

Linda - we ate them too!

Maybe just part of the overall small portions approach they are doing.  I do recall someone complaining that the portions in the restaurants were quite a bit smaller.  I said, why don't you just ask for more, they won't refuse you!  If you want it, you can have it!   And in this way, there is less wasted food.  Don't think she comprehended 🙂

My husband and I appreciated the smaller portions in the restaurants.  At first we were skipping the restaurant as we didn’t want that big of meal, so we headed to the cafe.  One night we just wanted to sit and have things brought to us and noticed the portions were small.  Went to the restaurant every night after that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, charmed1959 said:

My husband and I appreciated the smaller portions in the restaurants.  At first we were skipping the restaurant as we didn’t want that big of meal, so we headed to the cafe.  One night we just wanted to sit and have things brought to us and noticed the portions were small.  Went to the restaurant every night after that.

You can always order half portions or just make a meal out of appetizers/salads/sides. And you also don’t have to eat everything.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

You can always just make a meal out of appetizers/salads/sides.

Just be careful-a couple of times on our last cruise, we asked for them to bring an appetizer when they brought our dining companions' mains-and it appeared we were served at least a portion and a half if not a double portion compared to the normal appetizer.  When we remembered after that we made it clear we wanted the appetizer portion. 

• Like 2

Clay: I apologize if this question was asked and answered in the 14 pages. Were  the outside decks open in front of the Explorer's Lounge on either or both decks 7& 8?

I believe I have read reports that they were closed but that may have pertained to only one cruise.

Thank you

9 minutes ago, SoDakPirate said:

Clay: I apologize if this question was asked and answered in the 14 pages. Were  the outside decks open in front of the Explorer's Lounge on either or both decks 7& 8?

I believe I have read reports that they were closed but that may have pertained to only one cruise.

Thank you

We were on the Saturn cruise right before Clay’s cruise. The outside deck adjacent to the Explorer’s Lounge (Deck 7) was open the entire time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoDakPirate said:

Thank you

2 hours ago, SJD117 said:

We were on the Saturn cruise right before Clay’s cruise. The outside deck adjacent to the Explorer’s Lounge (Deck 7) was open the entire time.

All decks were open throughout our cruise.  I will say that on the morning of our sail into Geiranger I was about to loose my cool over the folks who didn't seem to understand how to quietly close a door 😂

Nothing like enjoying the quiet beauty of that beautiful fjord and having it ruined (both for those of us outside and inside) by someone just letting go of either of the doors that you go through to reach the deck in front of the Explorers' Lounge. 

IMG_7596.jpeg

IMG_7599.jpeg

IMG_7600.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

All decks were open throughout our cruise.  I will say that on the morning of our sail into Geiranger I was about to loose my cool over the folks who didn't seem to understand how to quietly close a door 😂

Nothing like enjoying the quiet beauty of that beautiful fjord and having it ruined (both for those of us outside and inside) by someone just letting go of either of the doors that you go through to reach the deck in front of the Explorers' Lounge. 

OMG! You are so right about the door slamming. 

My morning every day was going to the lounge early, probably 6 or 6:30 (early riser, just can't help it). Rimsa would see me and get my cappuccino. i would sit watching sail in. Other folks would come in and say good morning. Then watch sail in. Then someone would come in that treated it like happy hour. "Where are your from?"  "Here's what I did before I retired". At  the TOP OF THEIR LUNGS!. For the love of God, it's 6:30. Shut up!

First world problems? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, ellenw said:

OMG! You are so right about the door slamming. 

My morning every day was going to the lounge early, probably 6 or 6:30 (early riser, just can't help it). Rimsa would see me and get my cappuccino. i would sit watching sail in. Other folks would come in and say good morning. Then watch sail in. Then someone would come in that treated it like happy hour. "Where are your from?"  "Here's what I did before I retired". At  the TOP OF THEIR LUNGS!. For the love of God, it's 6:30. Shut up!

First world problems? 

I hear you!  pun intended!

We always seem to have the Loud obnoxious "happy hour" folks come out to the deck 7 front of explorer's lounger as we a silently cruising into a beautiful place - like Norway's fjords (Flam) or a gorgeous city (like Oslo).  Sadly it is just the world we live in now.  People are oblivious of others.

But definitely 1st world problems!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anaco_angler said:

Clay, any problem bringing the pelt back into the US?

Nope.  Since we bought it at a store we could honestly say we didn't visit a farm or been among animals.   And since we didn't spend more than our allowance, we didn't have anything to declare.