Art Studio classes and sign up questions

cruisr

In my reading it seems that classes re limited to 15 people and one needs to sign up. I am in a category with Noon boarding. Where do I go to sign up as soon as I board.  Does anyone one sign up for all classes or can one sign up for those of most interest.

My husband signed up even after the first class had taken place..... as the artist was there and the studio was open and we were on our way back to our room....Hubby saw the open door and was curios and went in to speak to the instructor and signed up then.....The problem that we encountered (and not certain if this is the case with ALL of the artists in residence) but it was more of an entire course of lessons and you were expected to go to al 7 or so of them.  It worked out fine for sea days but sort of put a damper on others when having to factor in the class times when scheduling shore excursions, etc....Again, not sure if this was just this one particular artist or not.  

4 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

My husband signed up even after the first class had taken place..... as the artist was there and the studio was open and we were on our way back to our room....Hubby saw the open door and was curios and went in to speak to the instructor and signed up then.....The problem that we encountered (and not certain if this is the case with ALL of the artists in residence) but it was more of an entire course of lessons and you were expected to go to al 7 or so of them.  It worked out fine for sea days but sort of put a damper on others when having to factor in the class times when scheduling shore excursions, etc....Again, not sure if this was just this one particular artist or not.  

I've signed up for art classes on 3 different cruises. It all depends on the artist . You can sign up about 5:00Pm when they have an open house. One time I did one class where we did colored pencil. In December, I signed up for one class for acrylic pouring and in April for a transatlantic, we actually had a 6 or 7 day course on the human body. It was a bit too intense and long.

4 hours ago, cruisr said:

In my reading it seems that classes re limited to 15 people and one needs to sign up. I am in a category with Noon boarding. Where do I go to sign up as soon as I board.  Does anyone one sign up for all classes or can one sign up for those of most interest.

Just returned from Insignia - many sea days!  Geri Gventer was the instructor - she proposed the art program several years ago. Open house was held the first evening. /Arrive early for scheduled class time!!! Room holds 20 people - so many were interested that she held two sessions a day! She went out of her way to fit everyone in. Space onInsignia is limited, but we made it work. She did not have sign-ups - she feels that everyone paid and they should have the art services available. Can’t speak for other instructors. Supplies in stock - bring an apron/work shirt as we used acrylics.  Also did water color and sculpting!!  Added bonus - her husband Mark gives lectures on iPhone photography and editing! Class attendance lessens depending upon interest. Highlight of our 24 day cruise! Only held on sea days.

• Thanks 1

Maybe they should charge  a fee like the Culinary classes  or have a limit to the number  that you  book like the Specialty  restaurants

Seems  unfair to others that may not be 1st  onboard  to sign up  when some sign up for the whole cruise

There are only so many spots available per  class 

JMO

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

Can a novice enjoy these classes or is it meant for more experience artists? 

I would think if it is something you would be interested  in  anyone  could join

On one cruise they had crafts   so I do not think you need to be  an expert 

• Thanks 1

Open for anyone. (Which is lovely for newbies). We only got a space as we  passed the loft to our suite on the same deck. We were allowed to our cabin early as it was a suite, so had an advantage .We never knew it existed prior to that cruise. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Can a novice enjoy these classes or is it meant for more experience artists? 

Novices are very welcome … at least that has been our experience on two world cruises on Insignia.  Cannot speak to how it works on other ships.  My husband joined classes on the recently-completed world cruise.  He is very much a beginner, and improved greatly.  Classes were first come, first served (no sign up) on sea days only and open to everyone, not just world cruisers. Two sessions were held and both were full. The area set aside as the studio was open all day, so those who wished to practice or finish their projects were able to use the facilities anytime they wished.  An exhibit of every ones work was held at the end of each segment.  There were a number of different artists leading classes … some on for a single segment, some on for multiple segments.

Edited by 2552phxcrzr
  • Thanks 1

New to Oceania and appreciate all the shared info on this board! I can see that Marina and Riviera have artist’s loft and Insignia has classes on world cruises but what about the other ships? We will be on Sirena for 3 weeks and would love to have an option for that.

24 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

New to Oceania and appreciate all the shared info on this board! I can see that Marina and Riviera have artist’s loft and Insignia has classes on world cruises but what about the other ships? We will be on Sirena for 3 weeks and would love to have an option for that.

there is no Artist loft on Sirena

25 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

AFAIK  the other R ships  do not  have that option

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

Thanks- I was just wondering if there were art classes held somewhere else on the ship or if that was not done on ships without an artist’s loft.

On Insignia, they took away a small portion of the Horizons Lounge and put up an Artist’s Loft sign on the glass divider.  I think there are four folding tables in the space that can accommodate 4 people each comfortably.  Whether they did this just because this ship does the world cruise, I don’t know.  It would be easy enough to do the same on the other R class vessels for longer cruises, but I don’t know if they have.  

• Thanks 1

When Insignia  was  remodeled they made  space for the art classes   they needed to have something  on the ATW  cruise when longer stretches of sea days

When they built/designed the O & A class ships  they were bigger so had made a dedicated area for Artist classes  also the culinary centres  which are NOT on the R class ships either

• Thanks 1

Classes depend on the artist on the ship. I don’t think 6-7 consecutive lessons is a good idea.  People come and go. I wanted to pick up several techniques - not paint only one project for 7 days.  There was also a needlepoint meeting.  Gave out free kits and had a chat session. Don’t know if this was based o ATW cruise.  Very popular group!! The Insignia area was definitely added because of the ATW status. If you have a lot of sea days you need this activity.  Port intensive cruises would’t allow time for too much art.

18 minutes ago, CalTravelers said:

Classes depend on the artist on the ship. I don’t think 6-7 consecutive lessons is a good idea.  People come and go. I wanted to pick up several techniques - not paint only one project for 7 days.  There was also a needlepoint meeting.  Gave out free kits and had a chat session. Don’t know if this was based o ATW cruise.  Very popular group!! The Insignia area was definitely added because of the ATW status. If you have a lot of sea days you need this activity.  Port intensive cruises would’t allow time for too much art.

The needlepoint meeting is usual on all ships on all cruises.....very popular AM get together.

On 7/22/2023 at 8:54 AM, cruisinsusin said:

We were on Regatta from Tahiti to LA in January and they had a lovely woman, June, teaching jewelry making. We completed three separate pieces (each within an hour) on three separate days and they were beautiful shells, not low cost beads, etc. Quite striking pieces.

It took place in the Terrace Café and she had approximately 70 people in each of her two sessions so if you are on a longer cruise with lots of sea days they will likely have something similar.

• Thanks 1