Maritime charges..

SarahJayne

Hi all!

Currently having a great time on Iona but I have another question that I really have no idea about! 
Maritime connection… can anyone explain how this works? 
Is this something that you connection off the ship?

I have been using my data roaming (I have EU data roaming included with my provider) and have been connecting to ‘Telenor’ everytime we have been close to or on land but I’ve remained with no service whilst at sea

My partner received a text message at 2am This morning to say he was connected to a maritime network however we were at sea and asleep at the time but did mention data was available for business customers only. He is also now connected to Telenor again and we are in port for the day. 

Basically I’m concerned about any charges I might get stung  with a huge bill 🤣 

Any help and guidance would be appreciated! 

thank you! 

13 minutes ago, SarahJayne said:

Hi all!

Currently having a great time on Iona but I have another question that I really have no idea about! 
Maritime connection… can anyone explain how this works? 
Is this something that you connection off the ship?

I have been using my data roaming (I have EU data roaming included with my provider) and have been connecting to ‘Telenor’ everytime we have been close to or on land but I’ve remained with no service whilst at sea

My partner received a text message at 2am This morning to say he was connected to a maritime network however we were at sea and asleep at the time but did mention data was available for business customers only. He is also now connected to Telenor again and we are in port for the day. 

Basically I’m concerned about any charges I might get stung  with a huge bill 🤣 

Any help and guidance would be appreciated! 

thank you! 

Hi Sarah Jayne,

Whilst at sea I would personally put Aeroplane mode on, WiFi on (so you pick up Myholiday) and data roaming off (which on my phone happens automatically when aeroplane mode on) until you are within a mile or so of land in order to not pick up the Maritime network as that will usually incur heavy charges. If the text message says business data only or no service I suspect you may be fine, but I wouldn’t take the risk. Is there anyway you can check the balance/usage on your phones?

Perhaps someone else can confirm what I’ve said!!

So pleased you are enjoying Iona.

Edited by Angel57
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It often is as that a company which do satellite data coms for ships. Any maritime charges often show as Norway with a higher charge.

However Telnor is also one of Norway’s biggest mobile providers.

Either way you should get a text message telling you if you’re connected to local or maritime networks when first using.

If in doubt, phone to airplane mode until you know the ship is docked.

• Like 3

Thanks for the help so far all. I have logged into my phone provider account and there’s no additional charges showing so

hopefully all is well! I haven’t had any notification to suggest I’m connected to maritime so 🤞🏻🤞🏻 

• Like 2

Yes, best to follow the advice given and turn Mobile Data off, Aeroplane Mode on, and retain WiFi for the My Holiday app only.

Heavy charges do apply for using Data at sea, but also for incoming and outgoing calls and to send text messages.  These will rack up if your phone is on a contract and to the best of my knowledge if is ineligible from all data passport deals and such like. 

One of the ways all cruise companies make money is that Telenor Maritime selects preferentially when at sea, even when a roaming network is available.  You are safe from these charges when away from the port, on land - you should receive a welcome text message from the country you are in.  If the provider is not Telenor Maritime then you will be able to use your phone at the normal rate developed by your provider.  Worth checking this though!

I accidentally got a voicemail message on Telenor to inform me my car was due a service.  That message cost over £12 and appeared on my next billing account after my return to UK.  I now switch everything off on my telephone and only use my tablet to connect to my paid onboard wifi and the app.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I accidentally got a voicemail message on Telenor to inform me my car was due a service.  That message cost over £12 and appeared on my next billing account after my return to UK.  I now switch everything off on my telephone and only use my tablet to connect to my paid onboard wifi and the app.

OMG. That was costly. I must admit I turn off voicemail when abroad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

OMG. That was costly. I must admit I turn off voicemail when abroad. 

Because we have to work when we are on holiday we keep one phone on at all times during UK working hours.  This was an error because of a time change and I forgot to switch the phone off.  Wherever possible we only book accommodation that provides free wifi and find both P&O and Cunard to be extraordinarily expensive and a rip off.  The latter in particular disappointed as you used to be able to turn your wifi usage on and off but no longer.  The Diamond membership perk on Cunard now only covers about 5 days usage for me whereas I have managed in the past to easily go three weeks.

Because the contact with business is essential to us and we couldn't holiday without phone and wifi access I am leaning much more towards the Celebrity and Princess package offerings on future cruises - I'm not happy being a cash cow as a prisoner of communication so to speak.  

My upcoming Canadian voyage on Sky Princess was a prime example, I'd wanted to travel on Aurora or Arcadia but adding in my wifi costs I saved nearly £600 plus of course drinks etc were also covered.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I thought Telenor is the Maritime Network provider thus not covered by EU data roaming.

I understood Norway not being in the EU one needed to check your individual provider's plan or is it automatically wrapped with the EU countries?

On ship turn data roaming off, or use aircraft mode.  Alternatively you can keep roaming on, but turn off automatic network selection so you have to choose the roaming network before it connects.

As regards non EU countries check your provider.  I'm with Smarty and free Norway roaming (up to 12 gB data) is included.

2 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

On ship turn data roaming off, or use aircraft mode.  Alternatively you can keep roaming on, but turn off automatic network selection so you have to choose the roaming network before it connects.

As regards non EU countries check your provider.  I'm with Smarty and free Norway roaming (up to 12 gB data) is included.

I am with Vodafone and had no charges in Norway. 

I believe some UK networks will allow connection to the maritime networks, some block them and others require a specific opt in. For example EE require you to buy a data add-on to use the maritime data but can make and receive calls.

The big issue is whether you use data on the maritime network which can be very expensive. I leave the phone on with data roaming disabled when at sea.

You need to be aware that making and receiving call at sea is expensive (for EE £3.11 a minute) and that if someone leaves you a voice message that can count as answering the call for the length of the message!  It is sometimes recommended to turn off voice mail before you leave home.

Usefully it is always free to receive a text - which is  good option for emergency contact.

• Like 1

You also need to ensure any app updates will only be done when there is wifi coverage and aren't automatically done when the phone is connected to a mobile network.

My phone updated 11 apps this morning, that could be many megabytes of data to pay for!

• Like 2