Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Water woes….it is stressful.  I would almost want my house to burn down to the ground than have a pipe burst.  

One item to take care of at a time.  Trying to take it all in with one gulp will make you crazy.  It may take a while, but progress will be made.  Personally, I had my own company do an estimate in addition to the one my insurance company sent.  

I preferred working with people I knew vs people the insurance company sent.  I had to front some of the cost (reimbursed) to get them started.  And, once started, they dealt with the insurance company themselves, which was a huge help.

Again, I’m sure you’re thinking about all the things that have to be done.  Make a list.  Do them one at a time.  Cross them off as they’re completed.  That made a stressful situation a little easier.

Thank you! Definitely approaching this one step at a time.

I have a contractor coming at noon today to do an assessment and the insurance company’s person is coming at 3:00pm to do an assessment for them.  

• Like 6

19 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

For the horses, they are along the walk to the waterfall. I did the Mt. Kirkjufell and town walk excursion.

In retrospect what I wish I had done and what I recommend is getting off the tender and taking the shuttle to the waterfall.
IMG_9477.thumb.jpeg.23391210b9aa97ff2b5ae589c8742d8e.jpegIMG_9476.thumb.jpeg.f7c98337f7e09473f72bf2371576360b.jpegIMG_9475.thumb.jpeg.9e7ca212e08b5da284a743bc0e09e0a5.jpeg

Once you’ve enjoyed the waterfall you can walk back to town along the path (not the road) and the path takes you by the horse stables. You can see the stables on the map.

There’s also a horseback riding tour in Grundarfjördur-you might like that!

IMG_9685.thumb.jpeg.c26aa46ca4bd9a17d21d168f792dab97.jpeg

This horse walked in front of me while I was taking a photo of Mt. Kirkjufell

IMG_9688.thumb.jpeg.baa8da14d8e0159a1f65a95eb0d120ae.jpeg

Thank you sooooooo much!!! I was already planning on taking the shuttle bus to the waterfall. So glad that I'll get to see horses AND have cake!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Good luck with your repairs and your interview, and thank you again for sharing so much about your trip. I'm en route to Tromso as I write this and so looking forward to so many cakes!

• Like 4

Walk with me to Kirkjufell in Grundarfjördur!

IMG_9621.thumb.jpeg.a62d0adc567a9b3378e2405886dcc181.jpeg

IMG_9684.thumb.jpeg.df0e54ef25b0b2b520b18888dedd3fb2.jpeg

If you do this walk you need shoes that can step in poop (horse and sheep), lots of water, a camera and the thought of cake to come.

We begin at the church then thoroughly fall in love with the wind art. Art, made from the 112 words Icelanders have for wind. The artist interviewed senior citizens to listen to which words they used the most and those words are printed larger and darker. 112 is the emergency number in Iceland (like 911 is in Canada and the US and on NCL ships.)

IMG_0028.thumb.jpeg.94d905b02517afdb49bb91eac5694382.jpeg

A short walk on dusty path takes us to the uphill portion of the trail. 
IMG_9600.thumb.jpeg.cd883acbef7cc5318d719ed93c6feef4.jpeg

IMG_9603.thumb.jpeg.44fb2b82d5995275031bf432d4cff3c8.jpeg

On the main path there are many opportunities to photograph bog wool. I’m pretty sure this is a weed, but I was enchanted by these white poofs growing, going to seed and floating through the wind.

IMG_0026.thumb.jpeg.667285e8108507aef850cdc643f23485.jpeg

Not only will you see bog wool or bog cotton but also sheep wool!  Both in one photo!

IMG_9607.thumb.jpeg.bd3fe8ee0fc958d38e2d70656dce43ca.jpeg

I love these next photos! They represent so much more than weeds. To me, they say stop and notice the little things that others might step upon or walk right by. 

IMG_9682.thumb.jpeg.a1a3ea9916b4a197d6c9cd02bc29004e.jpeg

IMG_9681.thumb.jpeg.d8f23a0eaff2680b0d499ec6a6fe364e.jpeg

IMG_9680.thumb.jpeg.6fa06f94be219c3dd987a4723fef533a.jpeg

IMG_9678.thumb.jpeg.160f9a432f643bc64f441b7ed48a9e11.jpeg

As you walk along the path you will be distracted by the beauty.  You need to keep your eyes on the path because horses walk here too.

IMG_9670.thumb.jpeg.0fd3353b6ed856aed703c187c4c257d7.jpeg

I took a lot of horse photos, all the while puzzled by the fireworks sparking in my tummy.  Took some time before I realized I had pressed myself up to the electric fence😂

IMG_0025.thumb.jpeg.039c54c12c8735b3a1e78f3439662050.jpeg

You walk and walk and walk

IMG_9694.thumb.jpeg.a02f92badb7c9a481c046b0002fa4624.jpeg

IMG_9613.thumb.jpeg.ec71447d7f4cce0158c3407bb3b6264e.jpeg

and just when you are so tired you can’t take another step you turn a bend and see the waterfall.  It’s stunning! Our guide told us we could drink from it but there was no way I was chancing giardia with an overseas flight the next day.

IMG_0027.thumb.jpeg.51026e4cf883836d2f6d9eb7f15e2aa2.jpeg

IMG_9692.thumb.jpeg.16e955aade398ff6c32a9147f4fa191b.jpeg

IMG_9676.jpeg

• Like 22

On the way back from the waterfall I joined up with a new friend I met on the first leg. We were seated side by side on a tender boat in Djúpivogur and we knew we were both doing the NCL excursion to Kirkjufell. We hoped we were on the same excursion but we had different start times.

We both took a lot of sky photos 

IMG_9725.thumb.jpeg.894824554fef58640cbc80cea3679fdb.jpeg

IMG_9718.thumb.jpeg.69b462e1f7e7b054d97d993f103b69c5.jpeg

and one of us took a photo of laundry!

IMG_9726.thumb.jpeg.d9a91b1d98657531e7b0c1cab7e76da9.jpeg

I told new friend Sam that when I was visiting Venice and Burano I took photos of laundry hanging to dry in the mid day sun then when I came home I enlarged the photos and have them displayed on wooden hangers in my laundry room.

Sam is on the cruise with her two grandmothers. The grandmothers are married to each other and when Sam and I were talking about solo cruising she said she couldn’t imagine cruising without her grandmas. Sam and I went to the cafe together and sat in the garden, feeling the sun hot our backs and the cake delicious on our taste buds. I’ve already posted the cake from this day but it was so good it deserves another share.

IMG_9728.thumb.jpeg.bde8a0cf3a417591b02a552038ff935f.jpeg

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, GALSews said:

YVRTeacher, love your pictures of Kirkjufell, especially the one with the reflection of the mountain in the water.

BTW, how did the interview go?

I got the job!!! It’s my dream job! I was so happy when I found out I cried. The interview was 45 minutes and was intense.

I’m still a teacher librarian (yay!) and in the new position at a new school I won’t be doing all the primary literacy groups, intermediate literacy groups and personal interest project groups I was doing at my previous school. I’ll be able to focus on kids and books! The school has more than double the size of student population and is in a great location. 

• Like 37

Congratulations @YVRteacher from a retired teacher! All schools need librarians to focus on kids and books. My DH passed away June 27 and we have memorials designated to our local fire district and to the school library that I taught at for 32 years. The firefighters and medics were awesome with DH and came many times for "lift assists" and he loved to read and always wanted kids to have books. 

Where is your new school? My niece is on the board for Delta School District. I went to school in Coquitlam 1st - 12th and graduated in 1971. 

Karen

• Like 6

YEAH!!!  Great news about your new jobs

What did the Adjusters have to say about your damage?  Will your insurance cover most of it?

The last time I had water damage to my home, I only had to pay the deductible.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Still very very smoky here with a very tiny bit of rain on Tuesday.  Not enough to help, just enough to make my windshield a mess.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 12:24 PM, YVRteacher said:

Thank you! Definitely approaching this one step at a time.

I have a contractor coming at noon today to do an assessment and the insurance company’s person is coming at 3:00pm to do an assessment for them.  

Good move on having a contractor take care of everything.  

And, sending positive thoughts your way regarding the interview!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Good move on having a contractor take care of everything.  

And, sending positive thoughts your way regarding the interview!

It’s going to be a bit of a slow haul due to the wildfires but the process has started.

I got the job!!!

• Like 7

On 8/24/2023 at 3:45 PM, YVRteacher said:

I got the job!!! It’s my dream job! I was so happy when I found out I cried. The interview was 45 minutes and was intense.

I’m still a teacher librarian (yay!) and in the new position at a new school I won’t be doing all the primary literacy groups, intermediate literacy groups and personal interest project groups I was doing at my previous school. I’ll be able to focus on kids and books! The school has more than double the size of student population and is in a great location. 

Fantastic News!!!

Congratulations - Wishing you an AMAZING Final Couple of Years!

Cheers  --  Von

• Like 4

On 8/22/2023 at 6:58 PM, YVRteacher said:

I have also been researching how to make Icelandic and Norwegian recipes.

Then I researched to see if I could I order the BEST salted liquorice out of all the ones I tried.

Inquiring Minds want to know...

Can we order the BEST Salted Liquorice?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Inquiring Minds want to know...

Can we order the BEST Salted Liquorice?

Yes!!!!

IMG_0059.thumb.png.d85b5ba973d6d7c7e23dfdb8972bade5.png

I bought a LOT of different brands of salted liquorice. All were delicious.  This brand was superior!

I searched on Amazon and they sell other treats by Malaco but I didn’t see this specific product.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Packing

Items I’m glad I packed:

Raincoat with drawstring hood

Waterproof, lightweight hiking boots

Bathing suit

Woolen hat

Sunglasses

My own shampoo and conditioner

Warm hiking pants

Nike Dry Fit long sleeve hiking shirt

Running shoes

Flip flops 

Adaptor for Iceland plugs which I also used on the ship. I have never been on a ship with so few outlets.

Box of granola bars

Lightweight cotton cardigan for when the ship’s air conditioning was blasting, causing goose bumps and 

shivers

Clothes I was ready to donate. 3 items. I wore them many times, put them in the laundry three times then found a donation bin in Akureyri. This provided room in the suitcase for chocolate.

A sense of adventure 

Cup of noodles for that first night in Reykjavik 

Items I wish I packed:

Thin long sleeve Merino base layer 

Buckley’s cold and flu for daytime and nighttime 

Hairband/hair wrap/ hair clips. Seriously, if you have hair you need a wind plan.

Items I really wanted to pack but decided not to due to space:

water bottle

my favourite large insulated hot drink mug 

Items I packed and didn’t use:

Shorts

Gloves (I take so many photos there is no point in putting on gloves. I have the kind for Smartphones but still didn’t use them.

2 dressy tops (I did use some, but brought too many.)

Items I didn’t pack and didn’t need:

Umbrella

Scarf

Pajamas

Hairbrush

Book (the library on the Star has a strong selection)

Dresses

Fancy shoes

Sweatshirt

Heavy fleece

Jeans

Beach sarong

I did not bring local currency for any of the ports. In Norway most places had signs that it was card only, no cash. I used my credit card for every purchase no matter how small. I did bring US currency for tipping on board.

• Like 10

The last supper in Versailles MDR was spent with dear friends who made this trip so special. The incredibly kind @TrumpyNor and her husband with the fabulous Desigual shirts and the zinger jokes and @Norwegianprincess and her friend who both have the friendliest eyes and smiles made the evening a lovely one. We met early so we could linger long into the evening.  Everyone’s food looked good and was nicely presented. Mine came later but it too was yummy. The yellow curry sauce served in a gravy boat was the best curry sauce I’ve ever had. This was the yellow curry sauce from a Thai meat dish.  I just ordered all the side vegetables, tofu, rice and curry. I asked for a small portion and I think my idea of a small portion and NCL’s version of a small portion are not the same thing. Fortunately @TrumpyNor’s husband had some room in his belly so he shared some veggies and rice. He did not wish to share any tofu!

IMG_9743.thumb.jpeg.62f36c389a53f814d82ad5d3622a6c67.jpeg

One day I will remember to ask for no onions in my salad. I always pull them out.

IMG_9742.thumb.jpeg.67c79a47350f72c5f56394faf52b2cf4.jpeg

My dad’s favourite dessert is pecan pie so that’s what I ordered. 

IMG_9744.thumb.jpeg.31cd18d1a11cefe3be4f4cc9bf172339.jpeg

• Like 17