Recent Quantum cruisers out of Seattle

Thanks for that information.  

I just saw on another post that RCCL says the North Star has not been closed at all and I called RCCL today and they said it has not been closed. I guess that just goes to show that at RCCL one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Just now, hoosier sailor said:

I just saw on another post that RCCL says the North Star has not been closed at all and I called RCCL today and they said it has not been closed. I guess that just goes to show that at RCCL one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

The reps you talk to would have no idea of the day to day happenings aboard a ship

18 minutes ago, hoosier sailor said:

I was on the June 26th sailing.  The North Star was hit or miss all week.  It was not running on embarkation day.  But it was up during the week as well as the morning of Dawes Glacier.  I finally managed a complimentary reservation for 2:00 pm the last day.  I go up to find someone sitting at the desk saying it was closed and would not reopen this cruise.  It was not weather related.  So the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  A lingering issue that causes them to shut it down for reasons only known to the tech team.

11 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We were told immediately upon boarding, when trying to book the North star, that it was not working all week due to technical issues and would not be fixed.  I'm sure they are lining up the proper technicians to get it resolved but it was a hard no all last week.

So whatever was going on my week has gotten worse.  We also heard on day 1 that it would be closed all week.  I even heard one person say "a guest last week broke the glass and that is why it is closed".  At least, that is what they said they were told.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hoosier sailor said:

I guess that just goes to show that at RCCL one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

There is no way for the sub-minimum wage offshore call center people to know the operational status of anything on the ships at sea.

It's like calling a national call center and asking if the chunky peanut butter has been restocked in your local Jewel-Osco. 

1 hour ago, NanciRDH said:

The Northstar is down until next drydock. It still shows available to book, which is frustrating.  My info comes from a current crewmember onboard Quantum 

Dang, that's pretty serious.  Thanks for the info.  It didn't really impact our cruise.  It's fun to do once but not a big deal to us either way.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is no way for the sub-minimum wage offshore call center people to know the operational status of anything on the ships at sea.

Wow are you out of touch. Call centers pay well above local wage rates. Call center jobs in the Philippines  are some of the most sought after jobs in the country.

New Delhi: Businesses are recognising the rising importance of improving customer experience as there has been an exponential surge in demand from jobseekers for call centre and remote customer service jobs since pre-pandemic, says a survey.Mar 10, 2023

On 7/20/2023 at 1:39 PM, hoosier sailor said:

Is there a sports bar on Quantum of the Seas where I will be able to see college and pro football?  Also, what's the status of the North Star, open or closed?

North Star has broken glass & will not be working until after dry dock.

Honestly, we did it on the Anthem in 2018...not impressed at all.

And it was free...I wouldn't even do it again for free, so no big loss.

(BTW iFly is AWESOME)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 1:39 PM, hoosier sailor said:

Is there a sports bar on Quantum of the Seas where I will be able to see college and pro football?  Also, what's the status of the North Star, open or closed?

On 7/20/2023 at 3:46 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

The pub (Harp and Horn) was showing sports all last week. Deck 4 midship.

From my experience, if you are looking for a specific game, I would not necessarily count on it being shown, especially for college football. They are very limited in what they have available to show. For instance, on Freedom a couple years ago for college football, they were only showing ESPN channels, which included the ESPN SEC channel and ABC. If your game was on CBS, NBC, FOX, one of the Fox Sports channels or the Big Ten network, they not only wouldn't change the channel, but said they didn't even have the ability to change to any other channels. I don't think it's always the same as to which channels they show, but the number of channels seems very limited.

There's been threads on here that have discussed the service they use that get into the technical and licensing details as to why.

I ended up watching the game I wanted on my phone.

1 hour ago, KKB said:

North Star has broken glass & will not be working until after dry dock.

Honestly, we did it on the Anthem in 2018...not impressed at all.

And it was free...I wouldn't even do it again for free, so no big loss.

(BTW iFly is AWESOME)

I was just looking to possibly try it.  

5 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

From my experience, if you are looking for a specific game, I would not necessarily count on it being shown, especially for college football. They are very limited in what they have available to show. For instance, on Freedom a couple years ago for college football, they were only showing ESPN channels, which included the ESPN SEC channel and ABC. If your game was on CBS, NBC, FOX, one of the Fox Sports channels or the Big Ten network, they not only wouldn't change the channel, but said they didn't even have the ability to change to any other channels. I don't think it's always the same as to which channels they show, but the number of channels seems very limited.

There's been threads on here that have discussed the service they use that get into the technical and licensing details as to why.

I ended up watching the game I wanted on my phone.

On all of my cruises it's been that way, I was just making sure that Espn would be available on the cruise,

1 minute ago, hoosier sailor said:

On all of my cruises it's been that way, I was just making sure that Espn would be available on the cruise,

If you are a Hoosier in Illinois, I'd think you'd' be looking a Big Ten game. Big Ten has shifted from ESPN to FOX. In the first 4 weeks of the season, I only see 3 games scheduled on ESPN/ABC.

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

If you are a Hoosier in Illinois, I'd think you'd' be looking a Big Ten game. Big Ten has shifted from ESPN to FOX. In the first 4 weeks of the season, I only see 3 games scheduled on ESPN/ABC.

I am, but I am a fan of College football and basketball (Not just Big Ten).