Recent experience buying FCDs?

POA1

13 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I was always told by the FCC’s that you had to be onboard in order to purchase them.  When I had to duke it out with the FCC about my husband’s missing FCD’s (luckily, I had taken pics for proof) she called Seattle while I was sitting there to get authorization (because I wasn’t leaving until she got it lol).  Having said that, however, I do recall a number of people posting that they were able to purchase them for others who weren’t onboard so I’m guessing that was a fluke and they tightened that up.

I’m assuming they ran into issues with other people buying them for family or friends.  I seem to recall you just needed their names etc and Mariner numbers.  Our son and DIL forgot they had them during the pandemic (and couldn’t cruise) and then suddenly noticed a credit on their credit card.  They would have preferred keeping them with HAL but too late.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I was always told by the FCC’s that you had to be onboard in order to purchase them.  When I had to duke it out with the FCC about my husband’s missing FCD’s (luckily, I had taken pics for proof) she called Seattle while I was sitting there to get authorization (because I wasn’t leaving until she got it lol).  Having said that, however, I do recall a number of people posting that they were able to purchase them for others who weren’t onboard so I’m guessing that was a fluke and they tightened that up.

No, it wasn’t a fluke.  At one time you could buy them for others if you had their information and you were paying for them.

I never did it so can’t recall off the top of my head when it ended but it was definitely in effect for some time.  I had a friend offer to get me one (I was fine).  My best guess was around 6 years ago when it ended but I’m probably wrong 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

No, it wasn’t a fluke.  At one time you could buy them for others if you had their information and you were paying for them.

I never did it so can’t recall off the top of my head when it ended but it was definitely in effect for some time.  I had a friend offer to get me one (I was fine).  My best guess was around 6 years ago when it ended but I’m probably wrong 😂 

Agree - don't know when it ended, but you can now only buy for people who are on board.

If someone is allowing you to do it, that's the fluke.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

The PDF showing that as a possibility is still on line. The Web never dies, I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

The PDF showing that as a possibility is still on line. The Web never dies, I guess.

LOL - I’ll put it to the test in October.  I would love to buy one for my sis & BIL.  She was too busy trying to helping me and didn’t get one one our November cruise.

I’d gladly treat them for everything they did for me if I could.  Somehow, I doubt it will happen.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

LOL - I’ll put it to the test in October.  I would love to buy one for my sis & BIL.  She was too busy trying to helping me and didn’t get one one our November cruise.

I’d gladly treat them for everything they did for me if I could.  Somehow, I doubt it will happen.  

I’m going to test it out too on our November cruise.  Nice stocking stuffer for our son and DIL if I can. 

• Like 2

Just now, canadianbear said:

I’m going to test it out too on our November cruise.  Nice stocking stuffer for our son and DIL if I can. 

We can compare notes.  LOL.  We’ll see if one of us gets a fluke or not 😉 

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

Test failed in Feb when I was not allowed to buy any for DH as he was at home earning more $$ to pay forcanother cruise, lol. So I bought double for him in May when he was on board.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Test failed in Feb when I was not allowed to buy any for DH as he was at home earning more $$ to pay forcanother cruise, lol. So I bought double for him in May when he was on board.

You weren’t even allowed to buy for your hubby, ugh.  I know we will be buying a few for us but was really hoping to buy one for our “kids”.  

1 minute ago, seaoma said:

What's the rule for using FCD for deposits? I tried to book a 35 day cruise with one FCD for my husband and one for me. They still required an additional $400 in cash for the deposit.

Longer cruise they require more.  We used ours for our 35 day cruise & had to pay more as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

Longer cruise they require more.  We used ours for our 35 day cruise & had to pay more as well. 

So for longer cruises, the only benefit to a FCD is the OBC that you would receive?

1 minute ago, seaoma said:

So for longer cruises, the only benefit to a FCD is the OBC that you would receive?

I think if you have several you can use them.  We only had one each. 

Edited by canadianbear
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, seaoma said:

That and a smaller deposit.  Even if you have to pay more, it’s not the regular deposit but equal to what the appropriate FCD would be.

2 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I think if you have several you can use them.  We only had one each. 

Correct.  You definitely can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, seaoma said:

What's the rule for using FCD for deposits? I tried to book a 35 day cruise with one FCD for my husband and one for me. They still required an additional $400 in cash for the deposit.

Oops, I started catching up backwards, sorry.  The $100 FCD is good for a 14 day cruise (they let me away with my 15 day one).  then it goes up to a $200 FCD and $300 FCD, etc.  You hit the latter with your 35 day cruise, so you were required to make up what you didn’t buy in FCD’s (still a lot less than the regular deposit).

When you buy your next one - the top of the form states how much you need for each length of cruise.

I normally just buy the $100 ones since I usually don’t know what I will book next.  I don’t have an issue to either pay the difference for my longer cruises or use another FCD.  My bank is empty so I will stock up next cruise assuming all is good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

Here are the required deposit amounts broken down by length of cruise:

D64299CE-56A9-453D-87A5-F709E4A25B1A.thumb.jpeg.775f7b68307dc1bd3cbf9a299dbf8283.jpeg

These are the amounts of the credits:

EA588C57-34FA-4111-ACE4-A90CEF88E84B.thumb.jpeg.4850b4990937bafa8054d343a211363b.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

You weren’t even allowed to buy for your hubby, ugh.  I know we will be buying a few for us but was really hoping to buy one for our “kids”.  

Nope, but I'd say worth trying since there seems to be some inconsistencies in enforcing. I wasn't mad, since the policy does say you can purchase when you're on board and he wasn't; it was more of a disappointment knowing others have done it.

I'm rooting for you so the "kids" can get a nice gift. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Nope, but I'd say worth trying since there seems to be some inconsistencies in enforcing. I wasn't mad, since the policy does say you can purchase when you're on board and he wasn't; it was more of a disappointment knowing others have done it.

I'm rooting for you so the "kids" can get a nice gift. 

Thank you.  It would help if we could as we’d like to do another Alaska cruise from our home port in Vancouver.  They have a 2 year old so I’d go along to look after him if they wanted to do an excursion or just have some adult time.  I’d also be willing to try an inside cabin (I’m claustrophobic so not sure how that would work out)-we’d get 2 cabins so fingers crossed!  

• Like 2

In case I didn't muddy the waters before... Are there $CAD FCDs or just $USD FCDs?

Also, if you try to read that last sentence out loud, do you find that you are spitting & drooling? 😉

10 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Thank you.  It would help if we could as we’d like to do another Alaska cruise from our home port in Vancouver.  They have a 2 year old so I’d go along to look after him if they wanted to do an excursion or just have some adult time.  I’d also be willing to try an inside cabin (I’m claustrophobic so not sure how that would work out)-we’d get 2 cabins so fingers crossed!  

You are a brave soul cruising with a 2 yo, lol.

There are some inside cabins that have windows, so you get some natural light. You might look into one of them. Not every ship has them and it's going to be only 2 or 4 per ship, so they go quickly.

IQ10044 and IQ10043 have the windows - see the openings facing the pool. They're conveniently located to the covered pool and Club HAL.

Something to consider 🤔 

20230721_215355.jpg

20230721_215821.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

In case I didn't muddy the waters before... Are there $CAD FCDs or just $USD FCDs?

Also, if you try to read that last sentence out loud, do you find that you are spitting & drooling? 😉

We personally buy them in Canadian dollars & book in Canadian dollars.  Our dollar sucks though. 

• Thanks 1