Recent experience buying FCDs?

POA1

Seeing as how our last FCDs were from 2018 and got so old that they were refunded, our experience with the Future Cruise Consultants is awfully out of date.

I recall having to fill out a form to purchase FCDs because the Future Cruise Consultant's hours were limited. (Or we simply blew it off until it was too late...)

What's the current situation like?

FCC hours are still very limited with long wait times. Some ships require appointments (sign up sheet on their desks), some don't. Even on same ship, one consultant may require appointments while another doesn't. That was my experience in May on Eurodam. 

As @ldtr said, you can drop the firm in the box. You'll receive a form in/at your cabin during the week and there's also a supply at FCC desk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They usually give you an option (if 2 consultants on board) to schedule an appointment with one or wait in line for the other. Of course if one of them isn't busy (lol) they will take the next appt or person waiting. Best to schedule a time just in case. You still have 4 years to use FCD and get some OBC with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We buy FCDs on each cruise @POA1. On our most recent one in July, the consultants must have been extremely busy as we did not get a confirmation (from the form we put in their FCD box). Unless you actually want to book a cruise, there is no need for an appointment.

The current protocol seems that instead of always putting a paper confirmation in your door mailbox, they are more frequently emailing the confirmation of your FCD (which they charge to the CC on file). Usually we do get the confirmation before disemarkation, however on this last trip we received it three days afterwards! Importantly though - we have two more each for future bookings!

Edited by boze9999
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gosh, I guess we were lucky on the K'dam last January. Stopped by (next to the Front Desk) without an appointment and bought 6 FCDs in minutes. I suppose there was a form, but I filled it out right there. 

I believe they were just linked to my Mariner number and no physical proof. Put them to use in time to get the recent-cruiser OBC, but just lost it when I transferred the cruise to a different one. But, that process was smooth as silk through my PCC so it's all good.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there is still a drop box at the Future Cruise Consultant’s desk.  I take a picture of the front and back of the form before I drop it off.  One time the consultant neglected to file one for my husband and I needed it as proof.  Since you can only purchase deposits while onboard, I had to get it resolved on my next cruise when I was sailing alone.

If I got an email last time it may have ended up in the junk mailbox so it’s long gone now.  They are now listed in your account, however, so I checked there for proof.  When we stopped by the desk last month we had about a 30 second wait.  It was our lucky day!

9BFFF9D1-4721-44AE-9A98-8C5A63AABF07.thumb.jpeg.8b0614496581679298bfe5e5a3c4280d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, the form can be dropped off or front desk can do them. 

We had no consultants on board  our last cruise in June (Zaandam) and  the form delivered to our room. In our case we have to go to the front desk as the FCD is charged to the card you have on file, but we are Canadian (requiring Canadian currency FCD).  We keep a USD credit card on account so we guest services use a different (Canadian dollar) credit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all! Now I have a follow up question, which I should have asked earlier because now it's buried here in the thread. (Oh well, my bad.)

If you have met with the Future Cruise Consultant, were they helpful? I think the last time DW and met with one, it was over 10 years ago when they had Neptune lounge hours. Other than getting a full blown Cruise Atlas, nothing stands out in our memories. (May we please have a moment of silence for the dearly missed Cruise Atlas? 😢)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We get a FCD on every cruise.  The procedure has changed a bit over the past 5 years (or so).  First we had to see a Future Cruise Consultant (FCC) to get the form, but now they are available at or near the FCC's desk.  Also, they generally (but not always) will be sent to your cabin along with other daily mail.

It is easy to fill out, but remember to indicate how many FCDs you want for EACH person.  Then drop the form in a box by the FCC's desk.  They used to give you (through the daily mailings) a receipt for your purchase, then they made an email receipt an option and NOW they seem to be just emailing your receipt to you.  I do not care for this new approach as I like to check the receipt for errors (have found some in the past) and correct them prior to disembarkation. 

I get the impression that some FCCs do not like to bother with FCDs, so sometimes you have to ask for the forms.  If you have email access while onboard, I would do this process early on and check your email for confirmation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

If you have met with the Future Cruise Consultant, were they helpful?

The South African FCC, on the Nieuw Statendam in June, was super nice and super helpful.  He was very knowledgeable and was quick with the computer and the process. I find it’s hit or miss with some FCC’s.  Some are slow to pick up on things; some don’t seem to be familiar with the application software.  Others just don’t seem to want to be there and you’re wondering why they are.  I was happy when they started the form pickup and drop box so I could avoid them.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Thanks all! Now I have a follow up question, which I should have asked earlier because now it's buried here in the thread. (Oh well, my bad.)

If you have met with the Future Cruise Consultant, were they helpful? I think the last time DW and met with one, it was over 10 years ago when they had Neptune lounge hours. Other than getting a full blown Cruise Atlas, nothing stands out in our memories. (May we please have a moment of silence for the dearly missed Cruise Atlas? 😢)

JME - but the Future Cruise Consultants really vary on different ships.  There were some really top notch ones (like on the Prinsendam) but I’ve also seen some pretty inept ones.

When we were on the Westerdam, the FCC desk was right by the Atrium Bar.  I heard so much misinformation that it took all my being not to jump in.  I wasn’t eavesdropping, the FCC was very loud.  

Normally, I just buy my FCD now and wait until I get home to think carefully on my next cruise and book with my TA.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eurodam May there were 2 FCCs w/very limited hours; 1 worked from appointment only, the other took appointments and walk ins. I got the one that handled walk ins (stopped by to make an appointment, he said he had a cancelation for that very time slot if I wanted to "take care of things now." Yes, please! 

He told me that FCC is not his regular gig, he was just helping out. I didn't know they did that, but certainly could explain some of the overheard misinformation and slower use of the computer as well as inconsistencies in actually executing the process.

Still happy to participate in the program and be cruising. 🤭

• Thanks 1

When I tried to purchase a FCD for a friend who will join me on a future cruise, I learned that you may not purchase a FCD for a person who is not currently onboard. 

As noted above, as long as bookings with FCDs are made within 60 days of the end of your cruise, you get the same OBC as if you spent your vacation time waiting for and talking with a FCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there any type of 'bonus' to getting FCC onboard?  Sorry, might be an obtuse question, but we last bought some on NCL and they have OBC for each one you buy (which, if you don't use onboard, comes off the purchase cost).

Does HAL have an inducement to buy onboard?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Is there any type of 'bonus' to getting FCC onboard?  Sorry, might be an obtuse question, but we last bought some on NCL and they have OBC for each one you buy (which, if you don't use onboard, comes off the purchase cost).

Does HAL have an inducement to buy onboard?

FCDs can only be purchased onboard.  FCDs, if used within 60 days of ending your cruise, will earn OBC bonus as well as the regular OBC bonus for using FCDs for booking deposits.

Using a $100 FCD is a lot cheaper than a big deposit required at booking time.

Make it a habit to buy a few FCDs on every cruise.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, POA1 said:

Seeing as how our last FCDs were from 2018 and got so old that they were refunded, our experience with the Future Cruise Consultants is awfully out of date.

I recall having to fill out a form to purchase FCDs because the Future Cruise Consultant's hours were limited. (Or we simply blew it off until it was too late...)

What's the current situation like?

Same here. I was refunded a couple months ago they sat for too long😕 I blame Covid.

• Like 2

I buy some FCD on the ship and it's the same every time. Quite painless.  I wondered for the longest time why I was doing this, but I'd just grab a beer and go.  Vaguely, I thought there would be some benefit down the road.  As far as the consultants go, they seem a bit stand-offish to me really, and I'd rather do my own searching for my perfect cruise.  This does sound crazy, I know, but I do alot of research before I plunk down my cash. Obviously, I don't do any research on FCD, since I have very little knowledge in that direction, lol.  I just do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

When I tried to purchase a FCD for a friend who will join me on a future cruise, I learned that you may not purchase a FCD for a person who is not currently onboard. 

That’s a shame-I’m sure a few years ago they allowed it.  I was wanting to buy one on our next cruise for our son & DIL. 

• Like 3

Our FCD buying experience onboard the Oosterdam this past April......

Picked up the form at the Future Cruise Desk.  Filled out the form. Dropped the form in the box.  Done. 

Any time I have ever been near that desk (not just this recent cruise but all HAL ships) and the cruise lady is there, there seems to always be an elderly gentlemen there who is very loud and he tells her about his 5 stars and is discussing all of his past cruises with her and she always looks horribly bored.  I'm not ease dropping but the person is always there and always loud.  Her Majesty and I laugh about it and move on.  LOL. 

I see no reason to bother her. 

As far as the FCD, it is a no brainer.....$100 deposit with $25 in OBC.  No risk.  Money back in 4 years if not used but we never have that problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

That’s a shame-I’m sure a few years ago they allowed it.  I was wanting to buy one on our next cruise for our son & DIL. 

I was always told by the FCC’s that you had to be onboard in order to purchase them.  When I had to duke it out with the FCC about my husband’s missing FCD’s (luckily, I had taken pics for proof) she called Seattle while I was sitting there to get authorization (because I wasn’t leaving until she got it lol).  Having said that, however, I do recall a number of people posting that they were able to purchase them for others who weren’t onboard so I’m guessing that was a fluke and they tightened that up.

• Thanks 1