Alaska Cruise October

Grandmama Wad

1 hour ago, Grandmama Wad said:

My husband and I are going on NCL Bliss 10/21/2023 to Alaska. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, what are the best binoculars for an Alaskan cruise?

Hello @Grandmama Wad

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forumHowever, your thread was off topic there. That forum is for technical assistance in using these message boards

Your inquiry concerns a specific port of call. Your new topic has been moved to the Ports of Call - Alaska forum where it will be on topic. Browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

6 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

Hello @Grandmama Wad

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forumHowever, your thread was off topic there. That forum is for technical assistance in using these message boards

Your inquiry concerns a specific port of call. Your new topic has been moved to the Ports of Call - Alaska forum where it will be on topic. Browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Thank you, I'm new at this and not tech savvy.... sorry 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grandmama Wad said:

Thank you, I'm new at this and not tech savvy.... sorry 

No problem!

Glad to be of service,

Host Kat

I have been in SE Alaska in October on business.  I can't imagine a cruise during that time frame.

Regarding binoculars, a pair which is great for me most likely will not be great for our OP.  Consider going into a sporting goods store and trying several pairs.  Birdwatching magazines often have binocular reviews so consider checking the magazine offerings in your local library.

There might be a few vendors closed and maybe less options for excursions but the views are still going to be amazing!  I have ended up on a few vacations that started out pretty poorly with no chance of getting better...then I remembered that it is what you make it! We have turned a few vacations around just by pivoting and doing unconventional things to ensure we had a good time. 

A number of the vendors will be closed.  Folks who take a Alaska cruise in October need to consider themselves very lucky indeed if they don't experience pelting rain for hours, incredible fog and high winds.  There is a reason why those cruises are so cheap.

11 hours ago, sfaaa said:

A cruise to Alaska in October is better than no cruise at all. I say go for it.

Northern Aurora is currently the resident AK expert on CC.  She knows whereof she speaks.  She lives in Fairbanks.  She also travels extensively in AK.  I would suggest that you listen to what she says.  Are your cruise dates fixed and unalterable?

BTW - this is the climate data for Juneau in October - https://weatherspark.com/m/145123/10/Average-Weather-in-October-at-Juneau-International-Airport-Alaska-United-States

Also for Ketchikan

https://weatherspark.com/m/145140/10/Average-Weather-in-October-at-Ketchikan-International-Airport-Alaska-United-States

Also look at the sunrise and sunset data for the ports.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

45 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Northern Aurora is currently the resident AK expert on CC.  She knows whereof she speaks.  She lives in Fairbanks.  She also travels extensively in AK.  I would suggest that you listen to what she says.  Are your cruise dates fixed and unalterable?

BTW - this is the climate data for Juneau in October - https://weatherspark.com/m/145123/10/Average-Weather-in-October-at-Juneau-International-Airport-Alaska-United-States

Also for Ketchikan

https://weatherspark.com/m/145140/10/Average-Weather-in-October-at-Ketchikan-International-Airport-Alaska-United-States

DON

I went on a NCL Jewel Alaska cruise in Oct 2019. Weather was still nice and fairly warm. Only two days of rain. Glacier was just as spectacular as in the summer. Sea was fairly calm most of the way . A lot of shops in ports were closed for the season which made it a relaxing day to stroll around without bumping shoulder with crowds of other tourists. Was I lucky? May be. And I would do it again if the Alaska cruise price is right for October.

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I went on a NCL Jewel Alaska cruise in Oct 2019. Weather was still nice and fairly warm. Only two days of rain. Glacier was just as spectacular as in the summer. Sea was fairly calm most of the way . A lot of shops in ports were closed for the season which made it a relaxing day to stroll around without bumping shoulder with crowds of other tourists. Was I lucky? May be. And I would do it again if the Alaska cruise price is right for October.

You were very lucky indeed.  Have you considered plowing your retirement funds into purchasing lottery tickets?  Just teasing.  But seriously, I remember attending a Museums Alaska/Alaska Historical Society joint meeting one time in Juneau where we didn't leave the hotel where the conference was being held; the rain was torrential.  And don't get me started about one of those same conferences in Sitka.  The state holiday Alaska Day is October 18th and the joint conferences (so many folks attend both so they are back to back over a five day period) usually include that date.

5 hours ago, sfaaa said:

23 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

There might be a few vendors closed and maybe less options for excursions but the views are still going to be amazing!  I have ended up on a few vacations that started out pretty poorly with no chance of getting better...then I remembered that it is what you make it! We have turned a few vacations around just by pivoting and doing unconventional things to ensure we had a good time. 

Thank you for the positive inspiration!

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Also for Ketchikan

DON

Due to other commitments, the only time we can go is October. I really appreciate all the information provided.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

You were very lucky indeed.  Have you considered plowing your retirement funds into purchasing lottery tickets?  Just teasing.  But seriously, I remember attending a Museums Alaska/Alaska Historical Society joint meeting one time in Juneau where we didn't leave the hotel where the conference was being held; the rain was torrential.  And don't get me started about one of those same conferences in Sitka.  The state holiday Alaska Day is October 18th and the joint conferences (so many folks attend both so they are back to back over a five day period) usually include that date.

Thank you so much for all the information. 

56 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Thank you for all the information.

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Also for Ketchikan

DON

Thank you!

23 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Thank you!

• Like 1

October is fall storm season.  High winds, 20 foot seas, missed ports, and lots of rain is the norm.  You might beat the odds.  I also was at a conference in Juneau in October.  It poured for five straight days.  

Let's hope you have great weather for your cruise.  We went very early Oct '21 and although there was a very strong storm at the beginning of the trip, the remaining 6 days were beautiful.  I see that your cruise goes to Glacier Bay.  We even had frost on our glacier day, and some snow 'dusting' at least in one port. Be sure that you are prepared for chilly weather and rain.   The mountains were just beautiful with new snow.

It will also be nice to have the towns to yourselves, and what stores are open will probably have some great 'end of the season' sales. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

@Grandmama Wad  Well sadly you are not getting a lot of advice and I think people misinterpreted your request of advice to include negativity.  Sorry about that.  The views will be amazing and you're probably NOT going on a cruise to go shopping anyway.  Of course you are going to miss some things due to this very late sailing.  Enjoy the scenery and enjoy your cruise.  That's the best advice I can offer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

October is fall storm season.  High winds, 20 foot seas, missed ports, and lots of rain is the norm.  You might beat the odds.  I also was at a conference in Juneau in October.  It poured for five straight days.  

Tell me about it.  Weather in SW Alaska can be interesting.  On one driving trip where we were using the Marine Highway to get from place to place so we were stuck in some towns for several days - it rained all the time we were in Juneau.  It rained all the time we were in Ketchikan.  It poured all the time we were in Prince Rupert.  Luckily Prince Rupert has a very nice library and they did not kick us out.  And this was in August.  If it had been October with colder weather I think that we would abandoned the rest of the trip and headed back to Vegas.   On the positive side the weather turned wonderful as we headed inland from Prince Rupert.

DON