Alaska - June or July

cusematt4

Hi All,

We are debating a first time cruise to Alaska in either June or July.  We would go from Anchorage to Vancouver with a 3-4 day pre-cruise land tour.  We are looking at a cruise either mid-June or late July.

Is there any reason we should consider June over July OR July over June?  Is either month nicer, more daylight or less likely to rain?

The cruises would be the same price and we are open to either.  Websites seem to state any time from 5/15-9/15 for Alaska.

Thanks so much.

Not to sound too direct or dramatic, but it's true. Expect the unexpected, any month in Alaska. Expect substitute ports from strong winds, train tracks impassable and inclement weather. Only Ketchikan is predictable: It will either be raining or about to rain.

June 20th will be the most daylight of '24 in the northern hemisphere.

Edited by mtnesterz

We were on the Discovery Princess at the end of June. Ketchikan was close to 70 and sunny. Lots of people in the pools that day. The very next day in Juneau it was in the 50’s and raining. Surprisingly to us, they had much better weather on a few of the cruises in May. The point is that you never know what type of weather you’ll have no matter when you go which is why everyone says to pack clothing that can be layered. We never wore a winter coat or boots, but our raincoats and fleece jackets were very handy. Typically June cruises are less expensive than July and expect lots of families and kids.

Max daylight would be the last week of June but weather could be be better in July. The weather is always a crap shoot so book the week that works best for you. We just came off Millie (July 7-14 from Vancouver to Seward) and the weather was no rain but usually cool (50-70) so not a lot of action on open decks, solarium was packed! Check sunrise/sunset charts for daylight hours....pretty much all waking hours will have light.

May and June are typically our sunniest months, with rain starting mid-July and into August and beyond.  That said, this year it has rained until about a week ago when we are finally seeing sunshine everyday.  If it were me, I’d do the cruise/tour in June as July is VERY busy with tourists and Alaskans traveling around the state.  June is a little less busy since the salmon aren’t running yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have done three Alaska cruises. One in late August, one early September and most recently this June which was the coolest. I didn't find much difference with any of these times. Had a very wet and windy arrival in Whittier this year and a rainy windy day in Juneau in September (all flying cancelled and ships sheltering) which were the only wet days.

We booked the first week of June for next year.  I was hoping this would be a good time to go...thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Mauidiver said:

May and June are typically our sunniest months, with rain starting mid-July and into August and beyond.  That said, this year it has rained until about a week ago when we are finally seeing sunshine everyday.  If it were me, I’d do the cruise/tour in June as July is VERY busy with tourists and Alaskans traveling around the state.  June is a little less busy since the salmon aren’t running yet.

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska which is located in the interior of the state.  Our weather in the interior is different than in southeast Alaska with the interior being warmer and drier. 

June 21st is the summer solstice, so the maximum hours of daylight occur on that  date.  May tends to be the driest month with rains in southeast Alaska beginning in mid to late August.  I should note that our weather patterns are becoming more unpredictable.

The cruise lines are expanding the Alaska cruise season and now are scheduling cruises in September and even into late October.  While these sailings will be relatively inexpensive there is a reason why -- folks booking these late season cruises should be prepared for heavy rain and winds.  Packing recommendations for Alaska are for layers with the outer layer being waterproof (not water resistant).

Mountains in the major mountains ranges are snow capped all summer.  So the mountains in the Alaska range will be snow capped all summer.

You said 3-4 day pre cruise tour and not sure if you mean that you will take the pre-cruise tour with the cruise line.  Yea, I get it; they take the hassle out of the planning and get you from point A to B, but I'm just going to throw another option at you here and that would be to rent an RV (size depending on number of people).  That way you can stop where you want, when you want and don't have to deal with all of the other people that will be on the bus.  It's just a consideration for thought and many people do this when landing in Anchorage.  If you do consider it, I know a bunch of people will say go to Denali National Park, but you can't do it all of 3-4 days.  Instead, I would head down to the Kenai Peninsula which will offer a great variety of things to do.  Regardless of what you do, you will enjoy your trip.