Eliminating Butlers - Spoke to Celebrity. Here is conversation.

LMHSRN

8 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Of course that was where it first surfaced that they were being eliminated I think.  

I hope it does change.  Only to watch all these people who have swore off Celebrity due to the Butler change come running back and book up all the sky suites.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

I hope it does change.  Only to watch all these people who have swore off Celebrity due to the Butler change come running back and book up all the sky suites.

For us it is not the vanishing Butler, but the sky rocketing prices that is driving us to look elsewhere. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, abbydancer said:

I've read that you have to be in the room when they do it.

What do you do while he/she is unpacking? 

" Do you mind putting my Patrick Mahomes shirt on a hanger--- He's a football player-- no in the USA we call it soccer--- Well, first one team kicks the ball--- NO, that's funny but that's not what it means, etc etc .

You're married 4 years--- very nice---  of course we would like to see pictures of your children-- HOW MANY ??  ( That's the set-up for a few $$$ )

OH Boy, we've been on lots of cruises--- Too hard to tell which was our best -- They were all very good -- Yes, the service on Celebrity has always been very good---- except for the time when our Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time----- When?? I think around 1992 ?  No , I didn't complain at GR--- I'm allergic to chocolate covered strawberries "

1hr and 60 minutes later----

Isn't it much easier to unpack yourself so you don't have to do a room search for your Patrick Mahomes shirt ?

47 minutes ago, sptrout said:

For us it is not the vanishing Butler, but the sky rocketing prices that is driving us to look elsewhere. 

People say that but I must be dumb.  Someone says cabin ABC on cruise line XYZ is 50% cheaper but I go and check prices and don’t see it.  I’ll check more prices.

1 hour ago, sptrout said:

That is certainly a bigger issue to is to, as well as the increased deposits and stricter NRD policies. Oh, and the removal of gratuities and OBC being included without a corresponding fare reduction.

mac_tlc 

• Like 1

I can confirm the Facebook post (but I'm not the one who posted it).  I wrote to Celebrity and was also told on the phone that the butlers will back in the Sky Suites by June.  I'll feel better when I see an official statement, but this was really good news for me.  I just hope they follow through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With us, it is more about the high fares, restrictions on included wine and spirits, and no included use of the mini-fridge than the loss of butler — although that is a factor too. Celebrity needs to provide all,the perks and inclusions of lux lines in the Retreat if it wants to charge anything like lux line fares.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

I can confirm the Facebook post (but I'm not the one who posted it).  I wrote to Celebrity and was also told on the phone that the butlers will back in the Sky Suites by June.  I'll feel better when I see an official statement, but this was really good news for me.  I just hope they follow through.

I’m frustrated because I have a sky suite booked in April and dedicated butler was advertised to me at booking. A lot of people, including me and my husband, can’t cruise multiple times a year and a retreat experience was supposed to be a more luxurious experience that we saved up for. We probably won’t get another vacation for a very long time. Their trial and errors to save money are annoying. I much rather pay a couple hundred extra dollars to my fare and have the service and glasses of wine I paid for. Paying a couple extra dollars per glass may give celebrity an extra 20 dollars in the end, but it leaves a sour taste and makes me not wanna book with them again. They could’ve just raised the fare and I’m sure more people would be understanding. Go out to eat and see how much prices are, doesn’t even shock me anymore. Guessing they are trying to nickel and dime to get the lowest base rate to advertise but again I rather pay a little more and have a more upscale experience. People up top making poor decisions and I’m sure costing them more money to reverse them because

of the outrage. How about they learn their client base…just sayin

• Like 5

9 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

That is certainly a bigger issue to is to, as well as the increased deposits and stricter NRD policies. Oh, and the removal of gratuities and OBC being included without a corresponding fare reduction.

mac_tlc 

These are the biggest issues that caused us to cancel an open passages. The nickel and diming doesn't help. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shellyd22 said:

I’m frustrated because I have a sky suite booked in April and dedicated butler was advertised to me at booking. A lot of people, including me and my husband, can’t cruise multiple times a year and a retreat experience was supposed to be a more luxurious experience that we saved up for. We probably won’t get another vacation for a very long time. Their trial and errors to save money are annoying. I much rather pay a couple hundred extra dollars to my fare and have the service and glasses of wine I paid for. Paying a couple extra dollars per glass may give celebrity an extra 20 dollars in the end, but it leaves a sour taste and makes me not wanna book with them again. They could’ve just raised the fare and I’m sure more people would be understanding. Go out to eat and see how much prices are, doesn’t even shock me anymore. Guessing they are trying to nickel and dime to get the lowest base rate to advertise but again I rather pay a little more and have a more upscale experience. People up top making poor decisions and I’m sure costing them more money to reverse them because

of the outrage. How about they learn their client base…just sayin

Does bringing something back after it was taken away for a period of time, which has adversely affected many passengers, help Celebrity regain their loyal passengers trust going forward? I don't think so. A problem with Celebrity losing loyal customers is that the younger generation they seem to be trying to attract tend not to place a high value on brand or job loyalty. 

Changing to a butler team has never affected me, yet it has (along with many other cutbacks)  tarnished my view of a company that has/had a reputation for treating their staff - demoting or firing the butlers who took such pride in their job - and customers - taking away services that were paid for with no recourse - well.

Loyalty and status are a double edge sword. Many people I chat with when traveling alway stay at a Marriott, Hilton, etc. because of their status and loyalty to the brand. Yet that precludes them from staying at many charming, boutique properties pre cruise or when visiting great cities.  I, like many other former Celebrity loyalists, will continue to book Celebrity, but with a much more discriminating eye for value and what the competition has to offer. The camel's nose is under the tent.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

People say that but I must be dumb.  Someone says cabin ABC on cruise line XYZ is 50% cheaper but I go and check prices and don’t see it.  I’ll check more prices.

Yah not all cheaper, but I posted elsewhere on this board of my Regent Grandeur booking for later this year.  Much cheaper than any Celebrity Sky Suite for a larger room, much larger balcony, included excursions, $1k OBC, pre-cruise hotel, etc, etc. It wasn't even close.  Many SilverSea cruises were also much cheaper than an X SS.  Should never be the case, but it often is these days.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Yah not all cheaper, but I posted elsewhere on this board of my Regent Grandeur booking for later this year.  Much cheaper than any Celebrity Sky Suite for a larger room, much larger balcony, included excursions, $1k OBC, pre-cruise hotel, etc, etc. It wasn't even close.  Many SilverSea cruises were also much cheaper than an X SS.  Should never be the case, but it often is these days.  

I really you sharing appreciate that.

Do they have butlers on Regent?  I don’t feel special unless someone brings room service who is not the same as the other person who brings room service.

24 minutes ago, billc23 said:

A problem with Celebrity losing loyal customers is that the younger generation they seem to be trying to attract tend not to place a high value on brand or job loyalty. 

I, like many other former Celebrity loyalists, will continue to book Celebrity, but with a much more discriminating eye for value and what the competition has to offer. The camel's nose is under the tent.

Amen on the first bit...the way they unceremoniously removed this service was quite abrupt.  I had booked a last minute cruise a month before sail date, yet that happened to be the 3 week period during which they removed the butler service.  Go figure.  And I agree that these younger affluent cruisers which X is going after have much, much less brand loyalty. 

On your second point, I whole-heartedly agree that I will still book X cruises where it makes sense (as with the above last minute cruise).  But it will have to be a damned good deal for me, given it's no longer a certainty that what I book is what I get.  I've not soured on X, but for the first time in a long time I'm not just looking elsewhere, I'm booking elsewhere.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Amen on the first bit...the way they unceremoniously removed this service was quite abrupt.  I had booked a last minute cruise a month before sail date, yet that happened to be the 3 week period during which they removed the butler service.  Go figure.  And I agree that these younger affluent cruisers which X is going after have much, much less brand loyalty. 

On your second point, I whole-heartedly agree that I will still book X cruises where it makes sense (as with the above last minute cruise).  But it will have to be a damned good deal for me, given it's no longer a certainty that what I book is what I get.  I've not soured on X, but for the first time in a long time I'm not just looking elsewhere, I'm booking elsewhere.

I'm also booking elsewhere even though Elite plus. Next week I leave for 10 night on Princess Panama canal and Costa Rica which I got for half of what Celebrity was charging same room category and islands. Booked in US currency through a US based TA. The only stipulation was the cruise be paid in full at time of booking. 

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I really you sharing appreciate that.

Do they have butlers on Regent?  I don’t feel special unless someone brings room service who is not the same as the other person who brings room service.

Ha, tongue in cheek indeed.  No, I got a Category D room which is the level just below those cabins with butlers.  But it's not about butlers, as the only time I really used one on X was when we splurged on a PH on Millie. Never really took advantage while in a CS or SS.

For me it's the holistic value proposition which has really suffered at Celebrity IMHO.  In the economy over the past 2 years we've seen inflation resulting in the same item costing more, and we've seen shrinkflation resulting in the same cost for a smaller amount of an item.  But Celebrity has managed to marry the two where we are now paying more money for less product.  While this has happened to some extent at many places, in my opinion it's been egregious at X.  And that lack value has pushed me away (for the time being).

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Ha, tongue in cheek indeed.  No, I got a Category D room which is the level just below those cabins with butlers.  But it's not about butlers, as the only time I really used one on X was when we splurged on a PH on Millie. Never really took advantage while in a CS or SS.

For me it's the holistic value proposition which has really suffered at Celebrity IMHO.  In the economy over the past 2 years we've seen inflation resulting in the same item costing more, and we've seen shrinkflation resulting in the same cost for a smaller amount of an item.  But Celebrity has managed to marry the two where we are now paying more money for less product.  While this has happened to some extent at many places, in my opinion it's been egregious at X.  And that lack value has pushed me away (for the time being).

But but but, if I don’t have a butler how do I get more rose scented toilet paper?  😂

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, billc23 said:

Does bringing something back after it was taken away for a period of time, which has adversely affected many passengers, help Celebrity regain their loyal passengers trust going forward? I don't think so. A problem with Celebrity losing loyal customers is that the younger generation they seem to be trying to attract tend not to place a high value on brand or job loyalty. 

Changing to a butler team has never affected me, yet it has (along with many other cutbacks)  tarnished my view of a company that has/had a reputation for treating their staff - demoting or firing the butlers who took such pride in their job - and customers - taking away services that were paid for with no recourse - well.

Loyalty and status are a double edge sword. Many people I chat with when traveling alway stay at a Marriott, Hilton, etc. because of their status and loyalty to the brand. Yet that precludes them from staying at many charming, boutique properties pre cruise or when visiting great cities.  I, like many other former Celebrity loyalists, will continue to book Celebrity, but with a much more discriminating eye for value and what the competition has to offer. The camel's nose is under the tent.

You expressed so well how I feel too. 

• Like 1

I agree that taking things away when they were promised upon booking and then only bringing them back when there is customer outrage makes me uncertain about sailing with X.  So does the constant nickel and diming they are doing.  I just want a nice vacation without having to worry that I'm constantly getting scammed by the people I booked with.

However, I do think it's good that they are listening to customer feedback.  I guess that means that if you don't like the nickel and diming it's past time to send them an email and give them more feedback.

Edited by MMMCruiser
  • Like 4

A current Ascent cruiser in a SS is reporting he has seen his Butler everyday and is very pleased with the service..he is reporting it on the roll call of a B2B he is on. 

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

This is my experience too..^^^

3 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

If you want a smaller quieter ship, this would work..me, I would be bored stiff. 

Have you ever cruised on a smaller quieter ship? For us it was a “never go back to large ships” experience. Indeed, the Retreat (Haven and YC) is an attempt to duplicate the small lux ship experience.

38 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

A current Ascent cruiser in a SS is reporting he has seen his Butler everyday and is very pleased with the service..he is reporting it on the roll call of a B2B he is on. 

Possibly, HQ is ordering butlers to be more involved with SS, due to all the complaints about their absence. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Have you ever cruised on a smaller quieter ship? For us it was a “never go back to large ships” experience. Indeed, the Retreat (Haven and YC) is an attempt to duplicate the small lux ship experience.

For us a small ship was one and done.  Viking Ocean spa was nice but my husband needs stimulation.  Not enough restaurants and not enough entertainment.  He didn’t even like sea days although he likes them more since our Eclipse cruise.  I don’t always have to see shows but I like the variety of bars and food on Celebrity.  Not a big fan of Edge class.