Still not convinced about cruising…

Cruiscs

22 minutes ago, tfred said:

younger people - yes,  but not necessarily with kids.  Every hospitality business has to find new customers especially those that have money.  

CoCo Cay is a natural replacement for Nassau which has a low attendance rate for cruise ship pax

I completely understand that Celebrity is a business and the CEO of a publicly traded company wants to grow their customer base by attracting younger customers, who travel with their families and thus brings additional passenger cruise fare revenue, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it!  As a senior cruiser Celebrity has provided me with the opportunity to avoid the demographic on Royal Carribean, that I was part of for over 40 cruises in my younger days, and to sail on a more adult oriented cruise line with a sophisticated quiet vibe.  Celebrity is in the process of “Royalization” and the two lines will become more similar than different. 
 As for CoCo Cay, you will see those cruises packed with young adults and children and the sailing occupancy capacity raised high above the double occupancy capacity Celebrity normally sails at…..Just what Celebrity is trying to accomplish to raise revenue. Not only do they get more passengers on their ships, they increase revenue with the fees they charge on the island activities. Again, I don’t have to like it!

The CoCo Cay destination itself is only temporary, as Celebrity has entered into agreement to get their own private island to replace Nassau and further increase revenue. 

I do!  If you don't want kids running around (as implied by your post), then go during times when school is in session, pure and simple.  It won't eliminate the kids, but there will be significantly less.

If you want a guarantee of no kids, then you need to be looking at "adults only" cruises like Virgin Voyages.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I do!  If you don't want kids running around (as implied by your post), then go during times when school is in session, pure and simple.  It won't eliminate the kids, but there will be significantly less.

If you want a guarantee of no kids, then you need to be looking at "adults only" cruises like Virgin Voyages.

Edited by Cruiscs

22 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Just completed our first cruise on Celebrity. July 29 on Edge from Rome to Barcelona. Last year we went on RCL Wonder of the Seas. Had a great time time then but wanted to try Celebrity as it is supposed to be more upscale, quiet and relaxing than Royal. In short: we didnt get that impression… 

The ship is stunning, the food and service was better than Royal. But we missed the upscale premium atmosphere - there were loads of kids and teens on this cruise running around and screaming all the time. There was almost impossible to find a quiet place onboard. The solarium was badly located as people used is a walkway to the pooldeck. Did not have that problem on Wonder were it is located in the front. And adding the port intensive itinerary with masses of people everywhere we felt that we needed a vacation when the cruise was over. 
I know people will say that we choose the wrong dates as it was summer brake but we have been to many all-inclusive resorts in the summer months and never experienced so many kids before. 
So if we spend more money on cruises in the future - any advice when and where is the best time to cruise to experience true relaxation? In the Caribbean? Which time of the year?

Thanks.

July in the med, UK school hols, inevitable that there would be more children than usual. We have cruised the Caribbean in June and September on the Equinox and not more than a dozen or so kids each time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinBanka said:

I completely understand that Celebrity is a business and the CEO of a publicly traded company wants to grow their customer base by attracting younger customers, who travel with their families and thus brings additional passenger cruise fare revenue, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it!  As a senior cruiser Celebrity has provided me with the opportunity to avoid the demographic on Royal Carribean, that I was part of for over 40 cruises in my younger days, and to sail on a more adult oriented cruise line with a sophisticated quiet vibe.  Celebrity is in the process of “Royalization” and the two lines will become more similar than different. 
 As for CoCo Cay, you will see those cruises packed with young adults and children and the sailing occupancy capacity raised high above the double occupancy capacity Celebrity normally sails at…..Just what Celebrity is trying to accomplish to raise revenue. Not only do they get more passengers on their ships, they increase revenue with the fees they charge on the island activities. Again, I don’t have to like it!

The CoCo Cay destination itself is only temporary, as Celebrity has entered into agreement to get their own private island to replace Nassau and further increase revenue. 

You don’t have to like it nor do you have to cruise on itineraries that include CoCo Cay, the vast majority of Celebrity cruises don’t. We love the fact that in our 50s we feel young on Celebrity and don’t imagine any marketing campaign will significantly change the age demographic as there is relatively little for children to do.

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

You don’t have to like it nor do you have to cruise on itineraries that include CoCo Cay, the vast majority of Celebrity cruises don’t. We love the fact that in our 50s we feel young on Celebrity and don’t imagine any marketing campaign will significantly change the age demographic as there is relatively little for children to do.

Our kids used to love sailing on X as there were less kids in the clubs - some do prefer that. Not kids anymore but still sailing with us (nothing to do with us still paying 😆).

OP,

You usually find the longer cruises, even in the summertime, aren’t as full with kids. Also, Northern European cruises to Scandinavia/Iceland etc. have less children onboard.

21 hours ago, hcat said:

Lack of parental supervision

Absolutely, and not only on cruise ships---

We all have seen how some idiot parents behaved with their rotten brats thinking they were having fun. 

The Staff did/does nothing for fear of taking a tongue lashing from " Funny Boy " ( Dad ) and/or " My Kids are adorable " ( Mom ).

Mind you, some folks are capable of being idiots on a cruise even without kids.

That reminds me of some of the behavior in the OVC , better known as the " Slugfest on 14 ".

Unbelievable --- and all over a 6th piece of cake !! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Interesting.  Where will this be located?

this might be interesting.

.Rather than an amusement park , maybe a spa like Zen place...with a healthy choice restaurant,   upscale spa ,  pool, walking trails. places for meditation,  massage   yoga, cozy  beach areas..   

Theme,  Get Mellow

we enjoyed something like that at  the Sandals offshore island..Nassau Bahamas

that was always my dream for a smaller  X ship like Century.  Never happened.  They removed the T Pools and  we got GOOP instead!

I was just thinking of my niece who is 12 and what cruise I would recommend for her. She is a very special kid and I would say Celebrity or higher would be best for her character. Keep in mind this kid eats in 5 star restaurants and flies first class since she was born. She is happier sketching on her iPad or reading a book than playing with other kids. She easily gets over stimulated by noise and lights like those common when kids are playing in a large group. The hardest part of being around her is that she is so soft spoken that you don’t know what she is saying sometimes.

Now my nephew is a different story. Same age but he would love RCL. He is incredibly polite and has great emotional intelligence but he likes to play and have fun and be silly.

If only all parents would select their family vacations based on what is the best vibe for their kids. I’d say 95% should NOT be on Celebrity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Interesting.  Where will this be located?

“When asked if the plan was to give Celebrity passengers their own private island, she said: "That's the idea, yes."

However, when pressed she would not reveal where that island would be. Although Royal Caribbean Group still has an option to develop a private island in Vanuatu, Fiji, the smart money would suggest one in the Bahamas would make much more sense, now that Celebrity is basing two ships in the Caribbean and offering more mini-break cruises in 2024.

Hodges Bethge also confirmed that Celebrity would not be sharing the island with one of Royal's megaships, but one of the older, smaller ones, to prevent overcrowding.

At first blush, it's an odd fit – Perfect Day is a bit like an extension of a Royal Caribbean ship – full of kids, waterslides and numerous thrills and attractions.”

22 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Say thank you to the new Celebrity management for pushing the "Royalization" of X.

It's grotesque.

In order for that to happen we need to see Flowriders, Playmakers, broadway shows.   Not sure if Celebrity makes passengers use room card to get towels so add that in as well perhaps.

I think some folks on X ships might like Coco Cay because it is a private island and there is the Oasis pool.

I don't agree that Celebrity is targeting younger families with kids otherwise we'd see slides and flowriders. I'm in the camp where if you want less kids, sail during the school year or in the case of school vacations, sail more than 7 days.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 11:37 AM, mahasamatman said:

The Caribbean is about the worst possible choice for relaxation. The most relaxing cruises in our experience are transoceanic cruises. I would also avoid summer travel.

For Heavens sake…shhhhh.  That’s supposed to be a secret!  You are supposed to tell them about the rough seas and hurricanes and the boredom of being at sea for six straight days!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I’d say 95% should NOT be on Celebrity.

That is an excellent post-- great grandchildren and well brought up--- nice to hear.

I do question "95% should NOT be on Celebrity " only because on cruises that we have been on ( never at holidays, school break or short cruises ) we never observed unbehaved children on Celebrity.

Perhaps that's the difference-- less children.

( Off topic--- Ottawa ? LOL---We met a couple on a cruise from Ottawa and all they talked about was some place that served eggrolls). 

44 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

That is an excellent post-- great grandchildren and well brought up--- nice to hear.

I do question "95% should NOT be on Celebrity " only because on cruises that we have been on ( never at holidays, school break or short cruises ) we never observed unbehaved children on Celebrity.

Perhaps that's the difference-- less children.

( Off topic--- Ottawa ? LOL---We met a couple on a cruise from Ottawa and all they talked about was some place that served eggrolls). 

I meant 95% of children in general. Celebrity has done a good job in advertising itself as adult oriented and that 5% seem to generally be the only kids onboard.

Oh and not my grandkids I’m in my 30s 🤣 niece and nephew.

ok now I’m curious where the magical egg rolls are from lol

On 8/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, NMTraveller said:

Try S class it has an older demographic on board.  Also book cruises longer than 7 days.  I find the S class ships to be quiet and relaxing and not crowded.

same with the M class ships. 

Still try to do cruises when kids are in school.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

ok now I’m curious where the magical egg rolls are from lol

I forgot the name of the place-- I'm not from Ottawa, so, thought you might know.

Holy cow, that's all they talked about--- 

LOL-- In your 30's ??  What are you doing on CC reading " important " stuff like :

The size of the lobster tails are getting smaller , or, I have $37 OBC left .Any suggestions what I should spend it on, or, our Butler was 4 minutes late coming to draw my wife's bath. How much should I deduct from his/her tip, or, everybody's favorite--- Who's the etc, etc---on --- 2026?????

6 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I forgot the name of the place-- I'm not from Ottawa, so, thought you might know.

Holy cow, that's all they talked about--- 

LOL-- In your 30's ??  What are you doing on CC reading " important " stuff like :

The size of the lobster tails are getting smaller , or, I have $37 OBC left .Any suggestions what I should spend it on, or, our Butler was 4 minutes late coming to draw my wife's bath. How much should I deduct from his/her tip, or, everybody's favorite--- Who's the etc, etc---on --- 2026?????

Single, no kids, self employed. I was driving everyone nuts talking about upcoming cruises so I joined CC for my family and friends sanity. 

I’ve “met” some really nice people on here and also some… now I understand the features of ignoring certain people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2023 at 7:27 PM, Duanerice1 said:

I disagree.  We sail mainly in the Caribbean but do so when kids are in school and cruise 8+ days.  Very relaxing.  Weather is great, islands aren't filled with summer vacation peeps..... 

same here. We cruise in the winter and early spring when kids are in school, primarily Caribbean. Never had tons of kids at those times.  Very relaxing. I will say, though, that E class ships seem to attract a younger crowd and more kids regardless of time of year. We much prefer M and S class for that and many other reasons.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 2:23 PM, SoloAlaska said:

I was just thinking of my niece who is 12 and what cruise I would recommend for her. She is a very special kid and I would say Celebrity or higher would be best for her character. Keep in mind this kid eats in 5 star restaurants and flies first class since she was born. She is happier sketching on her iPad or reading a book than playing with other kids. She easily gets over stimulated by noise and lights like those common when kids are playing in a large group. The hardest part of being around her is that she is so soft spoken that you don’t know what she is saying sometimes.

Now my nephew is a different story. Same age but he would love RCL. He is incredibly polite and has great emotional intelligence but he likes to play and have fun and be silly.

If only all parents would select their family vacations based on what is the best vibe for their kids. I’d say 95% should NOT be on Celebrity.

For what it's worth, my niece has been cruising since she was 7, my sister since she was 9, and myself since I was 5. 

My sister and I started on the ORIGINAL Celebrity ship, the SS Meridian. My sister was more outgoing while I was more shy (definitely NOT shy now!). We both enjoyed the kids program: hers was way more active than mine and the programs were tailored to each group.

My niece, on the other hand, started on Norwegian Bliss. While she enjoyed the programs on there, the program wasn't well organized due to staffing issues. My niece hated it. After the pandemic, she got to try Royal and fell in love with the company and what they have to offer. 

• Like 1