A Walk Down Memory Lane — HAL historical posters luggage tags

Turtles06

I recently found these complimentary luggage tags “featuring historical posters from the archives of Holland America Line” when I was cleaning out my parents’ home in Florida. I knew they cruised the Caribbean fairly often, but I didn’t know they’d been on HAL. 

The tags were given out to Mariner Society members, and I imagine that many of you HAL veterans here may have them too. I was wondering if anyone knows when HAL gave them out —  the 90s? Earlier, later? 

It was fun to find them. 

IMG_4183.thumb.jpeg.6e88c6afab25b2231ba916c8ae6a00f3.jpeg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I don't remember HAL giving them out.  i remember buying them from HAL's online store sometime around 2007.  They eventually outlived there usefulness since they were not very sturdy.  i wish HAL would bring them back.

Tampa Girl, it does say there in OP's photo that they were complimentary.  We received some like the OP's.  I think what you're thinking of is they sold "puffy" fabric ones with the vintage photos, which were a bit sturdier.  I ordered some of those and used them on hand luggage for a long time.  I also wish HAL would bring them back.

Edit to add they may have sold them as well as given some to Mariners.

Edited by AncientWanderer

41 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I recently found these complimentary luggage tags “featuring historical posters from the archives of Holland America Line” when I was cleaning out my parents’ home in Florida. I knew they cruised the Caribbean fairly often, but I didn’t know they’d been on HAL. 

The tags were given out to Mariner Society members, and I imagine that many of you HAL veterans here may have them too. I was wondering if anyone knows when HAL gave them out —  the 90s? Earlier, later? 

It was fun to find them. 

IMG_4183.thumb.jpeg.6e88c6afab25b2231ba916c8ae6a00f3.jpeg

Still have mine!!

• Like 2

Definitely after the 90s. I don't remember when those tags were issued, but I do know it was after my husband died, and that was late 1999. 
I still have mine, too. They are too pretty to let get snapped in two, which is what would happen if placed on checked luggage. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I am such a fan-girl, I would hang the full-size poster in my home!

I took this one home from a travel show back in the 1980s when I often had to work such events as a sales rep for Royal Viking Line in Washington, DC. The HAL rep there for years was a Dutchman named Peter deBruin.

IMG_1348.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, boatmad said:

I would guess about 2010.  We were  going on a Mariner Society cruise when they mailed them to us.  Used them for a number of years.  Now just have them on carry ons.

I think you’re right or at least close. Maybe even a year earlier or later. But that time period. 

I remember quite the reckus here on the HAL board as several regulars posted they had received just received them in the mail and others hadn’t. Someone reported calling and being told they were limited edition and not available. There were several threads- and whining- about it.

Edited by TiogaCruiser