Unlimited Dining questions

19 hours ago, ampurp85 said:

Be careful with this as they are cracking down and charging the cancelation fees. They have found that people who do this hack mess up the reservation listing.

To clarify, I'm not cancelling the reservation for lunch the first day, I'm just showing that it's been paid for twice due to the UDP covering the charge, also.  But, I will follow up with the Food and Bev Manager if they try to charge me a cancellation fee.  Thanks for the info.

If the UDP would include the choice for lunch on Day 1, there would be no need to go through the refund process at all.  I keep expecting them to catch on to this, but I don't think it's happening enough to catch enough attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Vintages?  Someone posted it is always excluded from UDP.  I thought I had read that it is included.  which is it?  Thanks for sharing.

For my sis and I next month on the Freedom, it's included.  I think it's a cover charge type of thing, like PlayMakers:  they give you a certain credit toward food.

yeah, it sucks how it is so inconsistent.  We had it on odyssey march of 21 and it includes the wine bar, the pub food, everything.  Now we're going on wonder next and it doesn't include the wine bar i've been told.

Why playmakers and not the wine bar?  I think from what I have gathered, it's whomever is in charge of dining on the ship

Dan

• Like 1

I dont have more to add beyond what others have said. But I will say, take it slow. The food is awesome and its so easy to god overboard (pun intended.) I found that having a big lunch (jonny rockets or Izumi) and then a specialty dinner I was done and in bed by 930pm. (Killed me worse than the drink package)
I will also say, 150 Central Park is one not to miss. In fact we went twice on Symphony.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 2:03 PM, soupchef said:

I dont have more to add beyond what others have said. But I will say, take it slow. The food is awesome and its so easy to god overboard (pun intended.) I found that having a big lunch (jonny rockets or Izumi) and then a specialty dinner I was done and in bed by 930pm. (Killed me worse than the drink package)
I will also say, 150 Central Park is one not to miss. In fact we went twice on Symphony.  

Couldn't resist, and in all good humor:  You are not the boss of my tummy....................

On 8/24/2023 at 4:04 PM, ampurp85 said:

Be careful with this as they are cracking down and charging the cancelation fees. They have found that people who do this hack mess up the reservation listing.

I'm failing to see why?  I'm still there to eat my lunch and fulfill my reservation, I've just paid for it twice. It's not like I'm a no-show.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pcur said:

I'm failing to see why?  I'm still there to eat my lunch and fulfill my reservation, I've just paid for it twice. It's not like I'm a no-show.

well you are circumventing the rules.  You are paying a reduced price for the specialty rest. and for getting that reduced price you are giving up the ability to make reservations before you board.  You are creating paperwork for Royal to fulfil your cancelation.  I believe that royal sells only so many packages and reservation so that they can deal with capacity issues and you are using that capacity twice.

Dan

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pcur said:

Royal accounts for people with dining packages. They then account for people who purchase individual reservation. You are being counted as two separate covers. Now if you don't request a refund for holding the spot you are fine, but if you do, you have screwed them out of a paid cover, which they may not have time to try to fill. This is a loss of revenue for the restaurant and staff. You are saying you will pay twice for connivence, when most people don't and request refunds. 

15 minutes ago, ampurp85 said:

Royal accounts for people with dining packages. They then account for people who purchase individual reservation. You are being counted as two separate covers. Now if you don't request a refund for holding the spot you are fine, but if you do, you have screwed them out of a paid cover, which they may not have time to try to fill. This is a loss of revenue for the restaurant and staff. You are saying you will pay twice for connivence, when most people don't and request refunds. 

Easy fix

Let us who purchase the UDP make reservations ahead of time

rather than on boarding day PITA TBH

That will also free up all the staff on boarding day to deal with others making  other kinds of dining reservations at the various restaurants.

Problem solved

However

This does not apply when sailing in a Suite as the SL Concierge takes care of all the dining reservations week before 

(except Izumi)

And they advise you to make a separate booking ahead of time for Izumi to lock in a time and get refunded when you dine there (with UDP obviously)

So it is and always has been encouraged. 
In our experience anyways 

Edited by PompeySailor

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

Easy fix

That will also free up all the staff on boarding day to deal with others making  other kinds of dining reservations at the various restaurants.

Problem solved

However

This does not apply when sailing in a Suite as the SL Concierge takes care of all the dining reservations week before 

(except Izumi)

And they advise you to make a separate booking ahead of time for Izumi to lock in a time and get refunded when you dine there (with UDP obviously)

THANK YOU!

I continue to be puzzled about why the passenger is penalized because RCCL cannot allow Day 1 lunch reservations for UDP purchases. I've always thought the concept of customers is to accommodate their needs in order to generate more business and revenue.  A temporary duplicate hold on a table at noon on Day 1 (when there are few passengers on board, and Chops is pretty much empty) should not be considered a penalty to the buyer.

Plus, if enough passengers have to do this, then RCCL needs to adjust their booking policies.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, danoconnl said:

well you are circumventing the rules.  You are paying a reduced price for the specialty rest. and for getting that reduced price you are giving up the ability to make reservations before you board.  You are creating paperwork for Royal to fulfil your cancelation.  I believe that royal sells only so many packages and reservation so that they can deal with capacity issues and you are using that capacity twice.

Dan

I have never been shown the rule about this by RCCL.  I've never been refused my booking on Day 1.  And, I've had the overcharge (and yes, it's an overcharge to me for the second booking because their system doesn't recognize UDP purchasers in the booking system) refunded promptly.

1 hour ago, ampurp85 said:

Well, if I decided to not go to any other restaurant because I suddenly became wildly happy with the MDR menus and the Windjammer, I would have paid over $200 for that Day 1 lunch.  So, there are lots of ways to look at this situation.  

If they gave me a way to NOT skew their bookings, I would GLADLY, HAPPILY follow that booking path.

• Like 1

I agree it sucks that you have to wait to board to get reservations. I am currently stressed because I have to coordinate a group of 8, all with the UDP, for an Oct Allure sailing. But in their mind, it is the tradeoff for the discount. Plus let's be real, Royal's IT is a mess. I feel like it would be a sh$%show to try to allow people with the UDP to book. I am not saying because they treat the reservations differently but because they would need special codes. 

1 minute ago, ampurp85 said:

I agree it sucks that you have to wait to board to get reservations. I am currently stressed because I have to coordinate a group of 8, all with the UDP, for an Oct Allure sailing. But in their mind, it is the tradeoff for the discount. Plus let's be real, Royal's IT is a mess. I feel like it would be a sh$%show to try to allow people with the UDP to book. I am not saying because they treat the reservations differently but because they would need special codes. 

I’m not a coder by any means 

and Royal IT like adding new stuff 

But an additional Reserve button on each venue for those who have already purchased UDP in the app is not an impossible task

You are already logged in and have selected the sailing you are trying to reserve items 

So system knows Booking ID and that UDP has been purchased 

Just an idea to anyone at Royal IT who fancies a very rewarding challenge which would be beneficial to your customers who are paying extra for food not included in cruise fare 😉

Thanks for the info....my concern is that we just looked and for our sailing there are no more reservations available for Izumi. So we are going to pay for UDP and not be able to eat at all of the places....Really stinks.

1 hour ago, BamaTNT said:

Thanks for the info....my concern is that we just looked and for our sailing there are no more reservations available for Izumi. So we are going to pay for UDP and not be able to eat at all of the places....Really stinks.

There's no need to do that. They hold back reservations so that there will be some available on the ship. Just be sure to go to Izumi immediately when you board to make you're reservation.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, PompeySailor said:

Easy fix

Problem solved

However

(except Izumi)

On 9/1/2023 at 11:40 AM, pcur said:

THANK YOU!

I continue to be puzzled about why the passenger is penalized because RCCL cannot allow Day 1 lunch reservations for UDP purchases. I've always thought the concept of customers is to accommodate their needs in order to generate more business and revenue.  A temporary duplicate hold on a table at noon on Day 1 (when there are few passengers on board, and Chops is pretty much empty) should not be considered a penalty to the buyer.

Plus, if enough passengers have to do this, then RCCL needs to adjust their booking policies.

Or let us make reservations 7 or 14 days before the cruise...
It gives those paying full price plenty of time to make their purchases. 
I think it would be easier on the staff and the passengers 

• Like 2

Was just on The Wonder last month and had the UDP. Booked my dinner and Sea day lunches reservations on the app when I boarded. Showed up on my calendar, never had an issue. The Mason Jar was open for lunch when we boarded. Didn't have a reservation, but they took us anyway and was a great way to start off our cruise.  Izumi you have to book in person, not sure why when you can reserve every other restaurant on the app. Didn't get a chance to go there until Day 2 and they were all booked up. 

11 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Was just on The Wonder last month and had the UDP. Booked my dinner and Sea day lunches reservations on the app when I boarded. Showed up on my calendar, never had an issue. The Mason Jar was open for lunch when we boarded. Didn't have a reservation, but they took us anyway and was a great way to start off our cruise.  Izumi you have to book in person, not sure why when you can reserve every other restaurant on the app. Didn't get a chance to go there until Day 2 and they were all booked up. 

What time did you board, and how long did it take you?  Also, did you have any issues getting the times you wanted?  what times were you looking for?

Thanks

Dan

We've never had a reservation for lunch on boarding day and never an issue getting seated.  We go to which ever speciality restaurant is open, get seated and book our evening meals for the cruise.  Usually wait to book sea day lunches the day before.  Never an issue.

But - here is a options for a new C&A Benefit.

Pinnacle can book UDP reservations 10 days before sailing

Diamond plus, 7 days

Diamond - 4 days

• Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 9:40 AM, pcur said:

I've always thought the concept of customers is to accommodate their needs in order to generate more business and revenue. 

Royal has tweaked their definition of a customer. A guest is a cash cow and needs to be milked hourly. 

We have made many pre purchased dining reservations over the years and then switched to a BOGO or package night price. Never been a problem and always a refundable OBC issued. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Royal has tweaked their definition of a customer. A guest is a cash cow and needs to be milked hourly. 

We have made many pre purchased dining reservations over the years and then switched to a BOGO or package night price. Never been a problem and always a refundable OBC issued. 

With ships now back at full capacity 

Recent experience (2 Days ago)

only way to get Izumi Hibachi without being waitlisted - was to pre purchase and lock in a day and time 

Then get refunded (using UDP)

Even people behind us who were in suite Sky class (concierge was unable to get them a booking for the whole week

Appreciate this will differ from ship to ship and time of year and demographic of PAX 

Just wish when buying UDP all reservations could be made a month out 

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We've never had a reservation for lunch on boarding day and never an issue getting seated.  We go to which ever speciality restaurant is open, get seated and book our evening meals for the cruise.  Usually wait to book sea day lunches the day before.  Never an issue.

But - here is a options for a new C&A Benefit.

Pinnacle can book UDP reservations 10 days before sailing

Diamond plus, 7 days

Diamond - 4 days

I was going to wait till I get email from concierge but we are also diamond plus , do you know how we would get the reservation 7 days before?