Cruise pricing options

IDL

In the brochure just received in the mail and even on line the only cruise pricing they show is Simply More pricing though I assume you can also book at a cruise only price w/o Simply More, correct? 

7 minutes ago, IDL said:

In the brochure just received in the mail and even on line the only cruise pricing they show is Simply More pricing though I assume you can also book at a cruise only price w/o Simply More, correct? 

No, you have two options. Simply more with or without air. That’s it.

• Like 6

Thank God we booked our B2B Med cruise in early 2022 and the first half of what became a B2B in the Baltics in 2024 also in 2022, though we did use the Summer Sale recently to add 12 nights for a B2B there. Cruise only, do our own excursions & airfare, and bring our own alcohol. Looking over the SM fares, I'm not sure we'll do any O cruise in 2025. Just can't stomach an extra $1200-1600 per cabin for alcohol and excursions we don't want or need. Not when we booked B3 and A3 cabins on Riviera for under $1900 PP for 10 nights each during that ESS!

• Like 3

Not everyone was lucky enough to have a cruise that was included in the ESS, so the cost difference between what we book under Olife and the cost of the cruise under SM is no where near your cost difference.  I look forward to hearing what cruise line you will be booking in the future that has a "cruise only" option with no alcohol or shore excursions included....I have been looking and not finding much that can compare to the O onboard experience.

49 minutes ago, basor said:

Not everyone was lucky enough to have a cruise that was included in the ESS, so the cost difference between what we book under Olife and the cost of the cruise under SM is no where near your cost difference.  I look forward to hearing what cruise line you will be booking in the future that has a "cruise only" option with no alcohol or shore excursions included....I have been looking and not finding much that can compare to the O onboard experience.

I also wish folks would stop comparing sale prices under OLife with non-sale prices under SM, as it's an apple and oranges comparison.  The will be future sales with SM, such as the recent ones and savings will be had.  We saved $7,500 by switching from a non-sale OLife to a sale SM so it's important to compare like situations.  Yes, prices will increase overall, just like on other lines, because of inflation and financial pressures. 

I've also looked for cruises on similar ships that have similar experiences and similar itineraries with cruise only options, and like you found there's not much out there that doesn't include alcohol and excursions that interests me.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 4

I am by no means a marketing expert, so I therefore have a question.

Outside of a very small handful of cruises and those that only want a specific cabin, is Oceania self creating a condition where few sign up early for cruises but just wait for the next big sale?

Oceania will be making several cruise releases over the next 60 days. Personally I struggle to come up with even one reason to book. Wait for a SALE, kinda like shopping at Macy’s. Don’t buy now, wait until Thanksgiving or better yet the President Day Sale! 🤔

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Outside of a very small handful of cruises and those that only want a specific cabin, is Oceania self creating a condition where few sign up early for cruises but just wait for the next big sale?

Oceania will be making several cruise releases over the next 60 days. Personally I struggle to come up with even one reason to book. Wait for a SALE, kinda like shopping at Macy’s. Don’t buy now, wait until Thanksgiving or better yet the President Day Sale! 🤔

It certainly kills the argument that the best price is obtained when booking as early as possible.  Also, is Macy's in business anymore?   

Edited by shepherd really

24 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

It certainly kills the argument that the best price is obtained when booking as early as possible.  Also, is Macy's in business anymore?   

Yes, Macy's still there. Bought my new Travelpro luggage with great Sale Price.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Only the small percentage on CC will be waiting for a sale..most people know when a sale comes along they can usually get the price adjusted..also if you wait who knows what cabins will be left, I always try for the same cabin so I wont wait..

Jancruz1

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Only the small percentage on CC will be waiting for a sale..most people know when a sale comes along they can usually get the price adjusted..also if you wait who knows what cabins will be left, I always try for the same cabin so I wont wait..

Jancruz1

My very thoughts.

16 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I also wish folks would stop comparing sale prices under OLife with non-sale prices under SM, as it's an apple and oranges comparison.  The will be future sales with SM, such as the recent ones and savings will be had.  We saved $7,500 by switching from a non-sale OLife to a sale SM so it's important to compare like situations.  Yes, prices will increase overall, just like on other lines, because of inflation and financial pressures....

One has to compare PRICES as they exist for the entirety of what you purchase. Just look at the NUMBER of O sales so far this year alone! One never-ending stream. One right after the other. I forget their names and order.

Did we start the year with the 20th Anniversary Sale? Then move to some super-O Life Sale? Then the ESS? Of course, along came the Summer Sale and SM.

I did book one of our next 4 cruises off the Summer Sale with SM. So I am familiar with those details, too.

Will be interesting to see if there will be a Labor Day "cabin upgrade" sale in 2023. The 2023 Presidents' Day "cabin upgrade" sale was replaced by that 20th Anniversary sale.

18 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Thank God we booked our B2B Med cruise in early 2022 and the first half of what became a B2B in the Baltics in 2024 also in 2022, though we did use the Summer Sale recently to add 12 nights for a B2B there. Cruise only, do our own excursions & airfare, and bring our own alcohol. Looking over the SM fares, I'm not sure we'll do any O cruise in 2025. Just can't stomach an extra $1200-1600 per cabin for alcohol and excursions we don't want or need. Not when we booked B3 and A3 cabins on Riviera for under $1900 PP for 10 nights each during that ESS!

Unfortunately I suspect you are no longer the target market for O. They need to increase the average $ pp in order to compete and stay in business. It will be interesting to see what you will choose instead. 

• Like 1

We book cruises based on itinerary. The ship and whether the cruise is included in a sale or not is secondary. Most of the O cruises we have sailed on have not been included in any of the cabin upgrade sales, ESS, etc etc.  I'm not going to choose a cruise because it's "on sale". 

Oceania offers interesting itineraries at reasonable prices and that is why we will keep cruising with them.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Elbig said:

Unfortunately I suspect you are no longer the target market for O. They need to increase the average $ pp in order to compete and stay in business. It will be interesting to see what you will choose instead. 

We'll be able to test your thesis in the future by seeing if O continues the stream of sales or not. 2023 seemingly their "Year of Sales", far more numerous, I think continuous so far in 2023, unlike in 2021 and 2022. For example, in 2021 and 2022 there were the Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. They'd last 2 or 3 weeks. Then no sale for some time.

We came late to cruising. Didn't start until 2021 on O (Riviera). I've always been more "build my own and explore some place for a week or two". So I spent 14 days in Paraguay in April-May 2022. I'm itching to do same in Madagascar in 2025. Then maybe Guyana, Surinam and French Guiana in 2026.

9 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

We book cruises based on itinerary. ... I'm not going to choose a cruise because it's "on sale". 

Oceania offers interesting itineraries at reasonable prices and that is why we will keep cruising with them.

We book for itineraries, too. BUT we're not rich. Must be nice not to worry about cost or pricing. We use sales to go from a G or F cabin to a C to maybe a B or A. No PHs or Suites. Those reasonable prices for us occur when they're on sale. And if they're not on sale, we're not likely to be cruising at O's list prices.

Which may be why O is having essentially an ongoing stream of continuous sales in 2023 so far. The 20th Anniversary sale in Jan is...now the Summer Sale. And there were at least two other lengthy sales in between. And it's only August.

• Like 1