Getting off Jewel in San Juan

For those who have sailed in the last year or so out of San Juan, is a 10:30am flight after the cruise do able? I seem to remember a few years ago San Juan wasn't the most organized port or airport. We'd be checking bags but do have pre check. United changed our flight and 10:30am is the latest departure so it's either keep that or cancel for a refund and pay more for another airline. 

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It'd be tight, but you could pull it off if all goes according to plan.

My options are basically keep what we have and get off the ship right away carrying our luggage for 10:30, or cancel and get a refund and pay about the same amount of money on Delta however economy on Delta is the same price as what we paid for 1st class on United.. 

I cruised out of San Juan 3 times in the last year.

The most important thing is how many other ships are coming in that day. The last time I cruised, 3 ships came in and the airport was a zoo. 

You also have to get in line first to send your bags for agricultural screening before being allowed to check your bags.

I say give it a try but have a back up plan in place.

13 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

I cruised out of San Juan 3 times in the last year.

The most important thing is how many other ships are coming in that day. The last time I cruised, 3 ships came in and the airport was a zoo. 

You also have to get in line first to send your bags for agricultural screening before being allowed to check your bags.

I say give it a try but have a back up plan in place.

Looks like the only other ship in that day is Brilliant Lady which helps. 

I figure outside of the agricultural line, we'll be able to bypass any line at the United check in due to first class and at tsa for precheck, so it's just any hangup getting off the ship or agricultural line. 

We've also had a change of flight times in SJU. We were "first" off the ship into a taxi checked in we were also 1st class and made our 9:45am flight with time to spare.

You'll be fine and don't stress. And remember if you have a concierge they can make sure you're first off like they did for us...we were walked off. Just ask for help if you need it. You'll be surprised at how accommodating RCI can be when asked onboard.

We cruise out of San Juan often. There have been several times that we have been sitting at our gate by 9:30. Do self-debarkation and take a taxi to the airport, don't wait for a shuttle. The airport gets very busy, but we have found that the crowds don't get bad until 10:00 or 11:00. If you get to the airport after 12:00, expect to spend a couple hours getting through security.

Also, to help things go smoothly for you, in case you didn't know, you have to go through an agriculture inspection before you go through security. The inspectors are just inside the door. Make sure you do that first or you will not be able to go through security.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you sailed already but we've cruised out of SJ and were at the airport at our gate by 8 a.m.  Just carry your bags off that morning when the doors open.  the Pier is not far from the airport.  get bags through agriculture, check them (or not) and head to TSA which is not crowded early a.m.  You'll be fine providing no mishaps with ship.

We have made an 11:00 flight out of San Juan with plenty of time to spare.  As many have already said, don’t forget the AG inspection.  

We always booked the earlier flights (we live in Wes Texas, so anything else get us home really late) with the knowledge that if we missed it, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.  If we ended up having to stay another night in San Juan, Oh Well!  

If you are going to stress and worry the last few days of the cruise, I would book a later one.  If you can roll with the punches, go for it.  Just be prepared with alternate plans just in cases.

(Kudos to anyone who gets the two Jimmy Buffett❤️ references)

Karen

On 8/12/2023 at 2:21 PM, colesc15 said:

For those who have sailed in the last year or so out of San Juan, is a 10:30am flight after the cruise do able? I seem to remember a few years ago San Juan wasn't the most organized port or airport. We'd be checking bags but do have pre check. United changed our flight and 10:30am is the latest departure so it's either keep that or cancel for a refund and pay more for another airline. 

absolutely.  

Make sure to go to the agriculture baggage scanner as soon as you get to the airport.  

I have precheck as well and always have am flights.  1030 is fine.

Use a taxi.  Don't do uber.  Much faster way to get to SJU.

Many cruisers are petrified to take morning flights so they book excursions or day passes and SJU is mobbed in the afternoon.  AM flights around 10-1130 are the best.

Edited by jean87510