ALASKA - Which cruise line?

22CeeBeeNC22

First time Alaska cruiser here. I have heard positives about Princess, Holland America, Norwegian for Alaska. I have no cruise experience with any of those three. (I have sailed RCCL, Disney, Celebrity previously.) What is your favorite Alaska cruise line and why? Also, what is the one piece of advice you would give me as I begin planning? Thank you for your opinions and advice.

We are in our 50's & 60's and will be traveling with another couple. Time line is ideally last week of May/first week of June 2024 or 2025. We may be too late for 2024. 

We cruise Holland America.  They have been cruising in Alaska for a very long time as has Princess.  

Fewer kids on Holland America but many multigenerational families.  Your time frame is perfect for the scenic beauty of snow in the mountains.  It’s not too late to book 2024.  Not every cruise line goes to Glacier Bay which offers guaranteed glacier viewing.  That’s #1.  Holland and Princess also get some of the best dock locations, especially in Juneau.   

Round trip Vancouver sails up the scenic inside passage between Vancouver and Vancouver Island for smooth sailing.  Most ships sailing from Vancouver to Whittier or Seward also sail that inside passage.  Seattle round trips sail outside Vancouver Island and have rougher passages generally.

Most ships go to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka or Skagway.  Some ships may be in port all day, some just part of the day.  Time in port is important so that you have time for excursions or time to get to know the area.  

Decide if you want to cruise one way or round trip.  Then find a ship that goes to Glacier Bay.  If you have time to add land based activities you will be sailing to or from Vancouver (one way).  Round trip port times are generally shorter.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would look at the ports in Alaska and figure out what excursions interest you. Then pick a ship with those ports. Look very carefully at times in port. Also look at glacier days as not all glaciers are equal. 

Research ports, glaciers and times and pick based on that (as opposed to ship amenities).

Alaska is all about ports, excursions and glaciers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

We cruise Holland America.  They have been cruising in Alaska for a very long time as has Princess.  

Fewer kids on Holland America but many multigenerational families.  Your time frame is perfect for the scenic beauty of snow in the mountains.  It’s not too late to book 2024.  Not every cruise line goes to Glacier Bay which offers guaranteed glacier viewing.  That’s #1.  Holland and Princess also get some of the best dock locations, especially in Juneau.   

Round trip Vancouver sails up the scenic inside passage between Vancouver and Vancouver Island for smooth sailing.  Most ships sailing from Vancouver to Whittier or Seward also sail that inside passage.  Seattle round trips sail outside Vancouver Island and have rougher passages generally.

Most ships go to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka or Skagway.  Some ships may be in port all day, some just part of the day.  Time in port is important so that you have time for excursions or time to get to know the area.  

Decide if you want to cruise one way or round trip.  Then find a ship that goes to Glacier Bay.  If you have time to add land based activities you will be sailing to or from Vancouver (one way).  Round trip port times are generally shorter.   

Thanks you good information. 

54 minutes ago, 22CeeBeeNC22 said:

Understand. I do see some minor variations in itineraries but most 7 days trips seem very similar to me. 

The times are going to vary greatly from RT Seattle to one way cruises. One ways often have 2 glacier days and longer port days. RT Seattle has less time in ports, usually one glacier day, more sea days.

RT Vancouver is generally better than RT Seattle port times. 

Definitely a difference.

• Like 4

Don't do just 7 days would be my advice, unless you plan a one-way cruise and then time on land in AK. This year Princess have been running a lot of 10/11 day RT Vancouver trips, and early in the season (as well as late) many lines do some unique itineraries with an extra couple of days and ports while moving ships into Seattle for the summer. The more ports the better!

You're already in the right timeframe if you ask me - May is always nice for RTs, no kids off school, driest weather, nice long evenings, quieter ports - although if you are considering a one-way going in June improves the chances of getting access all the way into Denali (though do check progress of road fixing - hopefully by summer 2024 all will be back to normal)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martincath said:

Don't do just 7 days would be my advice, unless you plan a one-way cruise and then time on land in AK. This year Princess have been running a lot of 10/11 day RT Vancouver trips, and early in the season (as well as late) many lines do some unique itineraries with an extra couple of days and ports while moving ships into Seattle for the summer. The more ports the better!

You're already in the right timeframe if you ask me - May is always nice for RTs, no kids off school, driest weather, nice long evenings, quieter ports - although if you are considering a one-way going in June improves the chances of getting access all the way into Denali (though do check progress of road fixing - hopefully by summer 2024 all will be back to normal)

Unfortunately, the latest is they don’t anticipate the bridge being done on the Park road until 2026. We’re planning our trip for 2025, so kind of bummed.

• Like 1

You are not too late for 2024. I would recommend Glacier Bay to be on your itinerary for your first glacier. It is rarely missed and you can often get close. I would also recommend an itinerary with a 2nd glacier because glaciers are so different and it is not something most people see where they live.

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The devil is in the details.

Exactly!

@22CeeBeeNC22 So many people book cruises and then complain about the times in port or where they dock and they can't do what they want to do. For example the time of 2-10 pm in Juneau is awful. NCL's times in Ketchikan seem to be awful and they dock far from town (Ward Cove) and people struggle do anything there.

The devil is in the details. Figure out what you want to do in port and make sure the times in port work with that. Don't assume that Dawes glacier is going to be the same as Glacier Bay. Realize that Hubbard glacier is often not closely accessible early in the season.

• Like 4

On 8/12/2023 at 8:21 PM, Coral said:

The times are going to vary greatly from RT Seattle to one way cruises. One ways often have 2 glacier days and longer port days. RT Seattle has less time in ports, usually one glacier day, more sea days.

RT Vancouver is generally better than RT Seattle port times. 

Definitely a difference.

Nuance is what I'm hearing. Also, one-way trips will allow for more. Vancouver over Seattle.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice for what it's worth is pick a cruise that visits Glacier Bay National Park, you will see a number of glaciers while cruising in the park.  Also bring a decent set of binoculars, ones that are fog proof and waterproof.  Personally, I think you picked the best time frame for visiting Alaska.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Thank you. I think for Glacier bay it’s just Princess or HAL? 

what would be best time of year ? Thank you 

With the current contract, the following cruise lines have permits to visit Glacier Bay:

- Princess

- HAL

- Viking

- NCL

- Cunard

- Seabourn

RCI were awarded, but did not complete the process. Princess & HAL have the greatest access.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, a.madruga said:

we are still stuck between HAL AND PRINCESS!!! first time to Alaska what helpful ideas on going early to anchorage or Fairbanks and due tours on our own 

ones experience is deeply appreciated

If you are going to do your tours on your own - make sure you plan enough time between cities. I think you can't go wrong with either line. I think Princess has more Alaska programming onboard:

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/north-to-alaska-cruise-activities/

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either line. Pick based on ports, glaciers and times in port.

• Like 1

If you are sailing a one way cruise think about your flights too. Sailing from Whittier/Seward and disembarking in Vancouver brings you 1500 miles closer to your lower 48's. 

There are also more flights with better times from Vancouver.

FYI Hubbard Glacier is an ascending glacier while Glacier Bay is not.

If you choose a Seward embarkation ships sail into Hubbard in the afternoon after the morning fog has lifted.

Unless it's an extended cruise (more than 9 days) and you like sea days in the outer passage don't select Seattle,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

If you are sailing a one way cruise think about your flights too. Sailing from Whittier/Seward and disembarking in Vancouver brings you 1500 miles closer to your lower 48's. 

There are also more flights with better times from Vancouver.

FYI Hubbard Glacier is an ascending glacier while Glacier Bay is not.

If you choose a Seward embarkation ships sail into Hubbard in the afternoon after the morning fog has lifted.

Unless it's an extended cruise (more than 9 days) and you like sea days in the outer passage don't select Seattle,

The issue with Hubbard is that it is often iced out and ships do not get as close as they do with Glacier Bay...... Pros and cons of each. I almost always get close to Glacier Bay (and it is an all day beautiful experience) - I rarely get close to Hubbard glacier.

There are itineraries with both on their schedule. I would try to pick one of those. I have definitely been on ships with Hubbard around dinner time that come from Whittier.

Edited by Coral

We leave on Princess next week, which will be our third trip to Alaska. The first was in 2009 with NCL and the second, in 2019, with Celebrity.

The best advice I can give is choose by itinerary, always get a balcony or better and be prepared to pay a lot for excursions!

Each trip we've done so far has been a 'bucket list' vacation that we never thought we'd repeat, but we fell in love with Alaska and may even book another trip up there!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 3:38 PM, a.madruga said:

we are still stuck between HAL AND PRINCESS!!! first time to Alaska what helpful ideas on going early to anchorage or Fairbanks and due tours on our own 

ones experience is deeply appreciated

I prefer HAL for AK.  The only advantage I give Princess is entertainment....which is far better than HAL.  On the other hand, HAL's cabins are better, balconies are larger, and the ships feel far less crowded.  Plus, many of the Princess ships sailing AK have no indoor lounges with panoramic views.  HAL has the beautiful Crows Nest lounge.  All in all, I think HAL is superior for scenic cruising.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I prefer HAL for AK.  The only advantage I give Princess is entertainment....which is far better than HAL.  On the other hand, HAL's cabins are better, balconies are larger, and the ships feel far less crowded.  Plus, many of the Princess ships sailing AK have no indoor lounges with panoramic views.  HAL has the beautiful Crows Nest lounge.  All in all, I think HAL is superior for scenic cruising.  

Thanks we love hydro pool too

• Like 1